Forced to join the flat screen TV crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forced to join the flat screen TV crowd

Well, the 1998 32" Panasonic TV just took a shit. It was our main TV.

I've done a good amount of research and I'm thinking of getting a WalMart 47" Proscan LED-LCD for $719.

It's pretty frustrating trying to find help online, google searchs and such. Just wondering if anyone has a better deal.

I'm thinking 47" because I have a big room
    LCD because it can get bright
    LED because these last longer than florecent bulbs
    Proscan because it's the cheapest LOL!

Any thoughts?

Last edited by DonP; 03-25-2011, 10:26 AM.

Just this. STAY AWAY FROM MITSUBISHI! I had a Mitsubishi 52" LCD HD that took a crap on me after two years and could get no support at all. I finally gave up and purchased a Toshiba Regza and now I realize that the Mitsubishi was a P.O.S. the whole time. The picture on it was NEVER as vivid as it is on the Regza. I LOVE this one, and would recommend them whole heartedly.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I've always like Toshiba stuff. But then again I used to like Mitsubishi as well.

I guess time change, who used to be good is bad, bad could be good, etc.

Comment

I've had a Toshiba 120Hz 52" LCD (flourescent backlight) for almost 3 years now and it's been flawless in performance and operation since the day I unboxed it.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I've had a Toshiba 120Hz 52" LCD (flourescent backlight) for almost 3 years now and it's been flawless in performance and operation since the day I unboxed it.
          Same here. My regza is sneaking up on 2 years old now and I love it.
          Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            Thanks for the recommendation. I've always like Toshiba stuff. But then again I used to like Mitsubishi as well.

I guess time change, who used to be good is bad, bad could be good, etc.
            Well, I'm not saying ALL Mitsubishi products are bad, just that, after doing research, I found that the model I had had a known issue with a defective backlight unit. The fact that they never presented this as a recall and I could never get a satisfactory resolution to this problem from Mitsubishi or it's service dept without forking over more that the TV cost me in the first place tells me I don't want to take a chance on future purchases.

Comment

Just had the same problem. Because of my low budget, I went with a Walmart Sanyo 50" Plasma that I got for $598. I love this TV! No one that sees it can tell (and I won't tell 'em!) that it's only 720P! The picture is just incredible.
              My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

can't go wrong with Samsung or Sony
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                  Just had the same problem. Because of my low budget, I went with a Walmart Sanyo 50" Plasma that I got for $598. I love this TV! No one that sees it can tell (and I won't tell 'em!) that it's only 720P! The picture is just incredible.
                  That sounds pretty good. My problem is that this room with 3 large windows has the setting sun lighting it until as late as 10pm in June.

Is you room very bright? I heard LCD is better than plasma for bright rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    That sounds pretty good. My problem is that this room with 3 large windows has the setting sun lighting it until as late as 10pm in June.

Is you room very bright? I heard LCD is better than plasma for bright rooms.
                    Mine gets the morning sun and doesn't seem to hinder the picture.
                    This one is similar to the one I have. I Paid 800 for mine 2 years ago.
                    Last edited by Robert Hendrix; 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Samsung Samsung Samsung... they are the best.
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

[QUOTE=Nimitz;1420850]Samsung Samsung Samsung... they are the best.[/QUOTE

I do concur, with the Silver Medal going to Sony.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I absolutely love my Sharp aquos 52. Got a great deal on it at bj's almost 3 years ago, best 1100 I've ever spent!
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I have a 42" Sharp LCD HDTV that I picked up on Craigslist for $400. Only been a year but flawless performance so far.

Comment

Samsung by a mile. 120hz for bluray/dvd compatibility.
                              This is what I would get. It's in your price range.
                              I only need one more guitar.

Comment

Working...
                              X