No announcement yet.

Forced to join the flat screen TV crowd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go my Panasonic 50" plasma 1080p with a Pansonic Blu Ray player for $870 back in July from Best Buy. I LOVE the picture and the Blu Ray player is connected to my internet for Netflix streaming, etc. I was just chiming in as I didn't hear a cheering section for Panasonic stuff.

Comment

Thanks for all the support guys but the Philips won out. I Took the whole family down to look at both. The Philips just had the better picture with the LED-LCD 240Hz over the 720p Plasma Samsung. And what really sold the Philips were all the bells and whistle feature that you probably get with a high end Samsung, but the one I was looking out was a stripped down no frills model.

With the Philips, I can do netflix right on the TV - no Wii or Blueray needed (the TV comes with wireless networking). I can display my PC video and sound wirelessly onto the TV - cool for Youtube stuff, but the TV might be able to do Youtube without my PC. I can download firmware upgrades to the TV over the wireless. I can plug in a thumbdrive and play any content on it.

The Samsung seemed "crippled" with just 2 HDMIs, no PC in, no wireless, no USB...Philips just had the best bang for the buck.

Now I need a digital sound system for this bad boy.

Comment

Philips was originally a Dutch company; so I'm curious where your TV was made, Don. Mexico?
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Lutz View Post
          I wouldn't buy anything Sony. I used to pay a premium for electronics but after getting fucked out 2600 dollars for a TV that lasted a few years I would touch Sony. Check out this FB site http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/I-H...V/182875766612 After goinf thorughh that bullshit I had to pay 500 more for a reduced rate replacement from Sony to replace my 55in set.
          Huh, I always thought Sony was top dog in the TV world. I took the flat screen plunge 15 months or so ago, getting a 46 in sony bravia. It was a store display for 4 months, so we got a discount...plus I had less of a worry of getting a dead pixel since it had a long burn in period...which is likely totally unfounded!

The best part of a flatscreen is I can carry it easily. My back still aches from my old tube 32 inch!
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

good Don. I'm glad you didn't fall for the 720P/60Hz crap. IF folks can't see the difference they need to get their eyes checked
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

read the link dude, over 5000 people fucked by Sony, I'm one of them. I won't buy anything with the Sony name anymore. They used be top dog in consumer electronics not they are just as cheap as everyone else in terms of quality ans customer service so no need to pay a premium for Sony when you get better products from others. I have a 55 Bravida as part of a settlement of getting fucked by Sony but I still had to pay $500 for it when it was 1500 retail.

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
              Huh, I always thought Sony was top dog in the TV world. I took the flat screen plunge 15 months or so ago, getting a 46 in sony bravia. It was a store display for 4 months, so we got a discount...plus I had less of a worry of getting a dead pixel since it had a long burn in period...which is likely totally unfounded!

The best part of a flatscreen is I can carry it easily. My back still aches from my old tube 32 inch!
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                Philips was originally a Dutch company; so I'm curious where your TV was made, Don. Mexico?
                I believe so.

Exported by Funai Electric Co. Ltd.

Ensamblado En: Mexico

Comment

read the link dude, over 5000 people fucked by Sony, I'm one of them. I won't buy anything with the Sony name anymore. They used be top dog in consumer electronics not they are just as cheap as everyone else in terms of quality ans customer service so no need to pay a premium for Sony when you get better products from others. I have a 55 Bravida as part of a settlement of getting fucked by Sony but I still had to pay $500 for it when it was 1500 retail.
                  The store had a pair of Sony Bravia's right next to the Philips, all 46". One Sony was $1199, the other $1299. I couldn't see anything making it worth more.

Like you all say, when this TV dies in a few years, I won't be crying too much over a $700 set when I buy the next one.

Comment

Yes, I see that...now. But, when I got it, I didn't. So far everything is alright, which is nothing but luck mixed with stupidity. Next time I'm going with a SoRny!...same guts!
                    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I heard Magnetbox and Panaphonic is good too!!!
                      sigpic
                      Action Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by sixx_ gunner View Post
                        I go my Panasonic 50" plasma 1080p with a Pansonic Blu Ray player for $870 back in July from Best Buy. I LOVE the picture and the Blu Ray player is connected to my internet for Netflix streaming, etc. I was just chiming in as I didn't hear a cheering section for Panasonic stuff.
                        My T.V. is fantastic, and it is Panasonic. My only complaint is that I paid through the nose for it.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I bought a 65" Mitsobushy with matching stand..for under a grand. It rocks the fuck out!
                          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                          X