Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about buying-selling etiquiette

Odd question maybe...

I've had a guy approach me out of nowhere wanting to buy one of my guitars. He must have seen a picture of it somewhere. It isn't for sale. He was not rude put seemed put off when I abruptly shut him down. Would this ruffle your feathers or genuinely piss you off?

The real question is I want to do the same thing!

There is a guitar that I missed out on a few years ago and dammit, I can't quit thinking about it. Would it be out of order to very respectfully make an offer even though it isn't for sale?

Well what do you think?

I don't think its rude to offer to buy someone's guitar which isn't advertised for sale. I wouldn't just send an e-mail offering a dollar figure for it right off the bat but rather contact the person saying where you saw the guitar first. Let them know you're interested in it and ask if they would be interested in selling it. If you get an e-mail out of nowhere from someone you don't know offering $ for your guitar, the first thing that comes to mind is a possible scammer.
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Yeah, I would agree - just a tentative enquiry to start with and then go from there..
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Yeah...you have to watch out for scammers. But I wouldn't consider it rude. 99% of the time, people do have -some- price they'll accept for pretty much everything they own.
        I only need one more guitar.

Comment

I've been on the pitcher and catcher end of this. I don't think it is rude, but as mentioned above send a PM feeler before blurting out dollar figures. A lot of owners won't take the time to do a classified listing, but when they get an offer out of the blue they'll sometimes get tempted and go for it. Timing and luck help a lot.

Comment

Nah not rude guy. In fact I did that with you remember? lol. And ive had guys message me about stuff. No problem honestly.

I know about 10 of my jacksons I wouldn't have if I didn't message someone asking to put me in the waiting list. hahaha

Kinda flattering.

Comment

Originally posted by Corpsegrinder88 View Post
              Nah not rude guy. In fact I did that with you remember? lol. And ive had guys message me about stuff. No problem honestly.

I know about 10 of my jacksons I wouldn't have if I didn't message someone asking to put me in the waiting list. hahaha

Kinda flattering.
              You should write a book man, call it "The Corpsegrinder Guide on Social Etiquette for Gentlemen"

Comment

I did this on another site and it worked out well. First the guy refused then a few weeks later he contacted me to ask if I was still interested--lol. I don't think it's rude, but I wouldn't make a low ball offer in a situation like that.

Comment

Wouldn't something like "if you are ever interested in selling that guitar .." be a good way to start? I personally wouldn't find it rude either. But some people do get offended over stupid things. Here there are people who put stuff up for sale and get offended if you offer anything less than what they ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    You should write a book man, call it "The Corpsegrinder Guide on Social Etiquette for Gentlemen"
                    Love it! That title is just sooo contradicting
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                      Wouldn't something like "if you are ever interested in selling that guitar .." be a good way to start? I personally wouldn't find it rude either. But some people do get offended over stupid things. Here there are people who put stuff up for sale and get offended if you offer anything less than what they ask.
                      I'd also add where or how you came to know of the guitar. If it where a forum or something, just so it's less out of the blue and doesn't seem as weird or a scam. I've offered out of state CL ads, and had offers from out state regarding some of my CL listings. Some people freak and won't even respond, some are cool, all depends on a person. Which is the problem for you, getting unsolicited offers on the interwebs, really pops out the scam flags for everybody.

Comment

Well ok then

here's the guitar in question...

Anyone knows who owns it? And if you do could you respectfully pass on that I'm interested and easily reached either here or on the Gear Page, same name. Verified paypal, tons of references...all the good stuff.

Cheers!
                        Last edited by Dog Boy; 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

BTW, I'm not offended at all when someone sends me an inquiry if I'd consider selling one of my guitars. In fact it wouldn't bother me even if they did offer a dollar figure that I thought was low. I can always just politley decline the offer, or as in most instances I'm not really interested in selling it. But others may be offended by low ball offers so sending the feeler e-mail first and establishing some contact is a good start.
                          BTW, cracked mirror Jacksons are cool! Hope you find the one you're looking for above.

Rudy
                          Metal Inc.
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                          X