Hey Endrik!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Endrik!

Had a question for you and your PM inbox is full. Trying to help someone figure out a word or phrase that was said to her when she was in Tallinn. A middle-aged guy pointed at her and said what sounded like "satavaziru!" She's not sure if it was one word or a few words said quickly. So far, no one has been able to tell her what it was, but I figured you might know, especially if it's something filthy!

Sounds Russian, (about 40% have direct Russian roots in Tallinn). It would be helpful to know what situation she was in.

My guess is "chto vy ichete" - what are you looking for... or something like that.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Thanks, Endrik. She didn't give too much context, except she was in a public place like a bus stop, and she didn't think he was commenting on her looks, because she was bundled up in a heavy coat. Somebody else said they figured he was probably Russian because they were more likely to point at a stranger & start talking like that than a native Estonian or somebody from other Baltic countries.
      Last edited by dg; 04-15-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

It's an old stereotype about Russians that they like to point their finger at you but I think it's pretty rare in Tallinn these days. He was probably drunk. No matter if it's a Russian or an Estonian at the bust stop, there' a good chance that he is drunk and start blabbering nonsense at strangers. North-East Europe has the most pathetic alcoholics in the world.
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

They are not like the classy drunks at bus stops in other places?
          Last edited by javert; 04-15-2011, 02:49 PM.

Comment

... drinking fine red wine in the gutter wearing a suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
              the bust stop
              Originally posted by javert View Post
              buss stops

Freudian slips?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

lol, d'oh!

Comment

Fairly warned be thee, says I, RacerX, I make a living being an anal-retentive bastard!

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
                    ... drinking fine red wine in the gutter wearing a suit.
                    hell no, we do it post-soviet style, a bottle of vodka and some nasty track suit and a coat

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                    Freudian slips?
                    Both very correct, bust in two ways, the cops are often busting drunk bastards in bus stops and the proper welcoming in Tallinn is that some douche bag is going to bust your face in, and yes, often in a bus stop. So whenever someone moves here from other part of the country he can truly feel at home here after he has gotten his ass kicked.
                    Buss stop because sometimes at downtown during very late hours some drunk skanks are going to make a move on you at the bus stops at one of the main roads. I'm definitely not touching that buss though.

Comment

Also bust = bosom
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                      X