I wanna go to the NAMM show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wanna go to the NAMM show!

I've been wanting to go to the NAMM show for years now. How do I go about getting tickets or passes? From what I understand, NAMM is the equivalent of the SEMA show for cars, where it's basically only for press and manufacturers. :think:

Most of the people I know who go to NAMM have a friend who owns or manages a music store, a friend who is a vendor with a booth at the show, or a friend who has access to press passes. Some high-rollers who buy lots of stuff also get passes from stores they do a lot of business with. Sometimes these passes trickle down and change hands on forums, but I think they've gotten tighter about checking IDs at the show, so if the pass isn't issued in your name you may not get in.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      Most of the people I know who go to NAMM have a friend who owns or manages a music store, a friend who is a vendor with a booth at the show, or a friend who has access to press passes. Some high-rollers who buy lots of stuff also get passes from stores they do a lot of business with. Sometimes these passes trickle down and change hands on forums, but I think they've gotten tighter about checking IDs at the show, so if the pass isn't issued in your name you may not get in.
      Wow, that sucks!

Comment

I finally got to go last year, so much equipment your senses are overload. Finally met George Lynch who treated us like shit, but other musicians were cool to us. Here is picture of Mick Mars, he seem so frail !!

Comment

NAMM, the National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM), commonly called NAMM in reference to the organization's popular NAMM trade shows, is the not-for-profit association that promotes the pleasures and benefits of making music and strengthens the $17 billion global music products industry. Our association—and our trade shows—serve as a hub for people wanting to seek out the newest innovations in musical products, recording technology, sound and lighting. NAMM's activities and programs are designed to promote music making to people of all ages.

You have to know someone or represent someone or product. People who work in marketing affiliated with an exhibitor, or radio can possibly get you in, but passes are limited.

They will check your ID. My name was on the list and they still gave me a 'slight' hard time even when presented with a drivers license.. "your picture has changed" .."yah, I shaved" "what company are you with?" etc..

Comment

Originally posted by charvelguy View Post
            http://www.namm.org/policies/namm-tr...licy-statement

You have to know someone or represent someone or product. People who work in marketing affiliated with an exhibitor, or radio can possibly get you in, but passes are limited.

They will check your ID. My name was on the list and they still gave me a 'slight' hard time even when presented with a drivers license.. "your picture has changed" .."yah, I shaved" "what company are you with?" etc..
            Sounds like I probably wouldn't have much luck getting in.

Comment

You know the right dealer and you have some good kneepads and you could get in.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                You know the right dealer and you have some good kneepads and you could get in.
                That's fucked up, Funny but fucked up !!!

Comment

This year's summer NAMM in Nasville has a day that is open to the public.

NAMM, National Association of Music Merchants, The NAMM Show, Summer NAMM, NAMM Convention, Pro Audio, Entertainment Technology
                  Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post

http://www.namm.org/summer/2011/wannaplay
                    Cool! Thanks for posting that...I wonder if they'll do that in Anaheim?
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by cvansickle View Post

http://www.namm.org/summer/2011/wannaplay
                      Awesome! Thanks for posting!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Cool! Thanks for posting that...I wonder if they'll do that in Anaheim?
                        Well he's posting in May so Summer NAMM is soonest. It gives him the general www.namm.org address anyway.

For the OP, Summer NAMM is not nearly as big or as cool as the winter show in early January in Anaheim, especially if you w2ant to see ole 80s rock stars. Might be a good time to go to your local music store and try to finagle one of their passes. Most stores have more available slots than people who can go. This early maybe they can get a pass in your name for next January. If they ask just say you work at the store but you mostly watch the door and help unload the truck. That sounds like an entry level GC position.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

I know there are more Sunday only passes given out but as far as Visitor badges, there were a ton of them everyday, though the in-house traffic was definitely wearing down by Sunday. As mentioned, summer Namm is similar but a bit different vibe outside of the geographic difference. Its still a trade show but the Winter Anaheim is more touted as its all the major players with new products being released. People who do displays/demos there definitely work very hard tending to everyone and have to deal with all types of people on all levels in a professional manner. Everyone is a potential customer, which is why you have such a stringent screening going in, but there's plenty of cultural (and what some may consider non) diversity there.

There's a bunch of bulk vendors there too offering parts products, electronics, tuners etc (not bad stuff for the buck) They're usually from Asia; China, Japan. There's also wood vendors and a bunch of Asia guitar manufacturers you never even heard of as well as the variety of Mom & Pop, boutique higher end/unique niche products.
                          Last edited by charvelguy; 05-18-2011, 01:04 PM.

Comment

charvelguy where the hell have you been?
                            the show is cooler if you fly in from somehwere i guess, after 15 minutes and i've seen the new charvels,
                            i'm bored out of my socks.
                            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

How are you Tommy? I have been in and out, usually just for research now and then. Yeah, its more like a vacation. In the case of a Minnesotan, (or anyone north of Utah during the month of January)
                              Californian Namm is a breath of much needed warmth. I hadn't been out to So. CA in ten years and just about that long for a vacation but thankfully, the weather was just what the doctor ordered.

Namm is what you make of it for sure, I can see how it would get old for natives, especially after walking around for hours.
                              I'll take a PT career out there anytime tho.. after 6/21 its on the down to winter again.

Comment

Working...
                              X