Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone talk me out of this? ...maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone talk me out of this? ...maybe?

I reeeealllly love my Jackson SL2H. It is hands down my best playing guitar. I've been finding myself missing a Les Paul that I sold several years back and am getting the itch to trade in the Jackson. My GAS logic states that I won't always "look right" playing an interference finish Jackson as I'm nearing the big 40. I also don't have any guitars currently that are without a Floyd Rose. I'm thinking my Jackson will get me the best trade in value. I'm sure I'll regret it if I do this... but I regret everything I've ever sold. ESPECIALLY that 81 Les Paul Custom that I'm missing. LOL

What are the other guitars?
    Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

If you really like the sl2h and it's your best player - don't do it! Can you you sell/trade a number of lesser pieces to get you where you need to be for the LP instead? Don't worry about the finish as you get older, for the right piece if it really bugs you down the road you can get it refinished. It's so hard to find that guitar that feels, sounds, and plays just right that when I do find one I fight like hell to keep it. I learned this the hard way over the years kind of like your old LP. Since learning that I've sold my amp to get that one special piece because while I really like the amp there isn't anything special about it and it's a normal production amp that can easily be replaced with a call to any number of dealers. I've spent the last few years picking up pieces that really spoke to me and have gone from having a lot of good guitars to a handful of great ones (my opinion) so have been through this same decision a couple times. There were a couple great players that I traded for great players thinking 'oh it will be fine, I'm just trading one great guitar for another'. Nope - regretted it every time. My last acquisition I traded 3 good pieces for 1 GREAT one and I don't regret it one bit. So I would say DON'T DO IT!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
        My GAS logic states that I won't always "look right" playing an interference finish Jackson as I'm nearing the big 40.
        Your "GAS Logic" also goes by another name: Social Conditioning. That is, you give a damn what people think of you. I'm 47 and I have three SL2H's; a Bolted Steel, a Shattered Glass, and a solid white one with an American Flag AxeWrap on it. Screw what anyone thinks.

I'm sure I'll regret it if I do this...
        Yep. You most certainly will and at some point, you'll become obsessed with getting that SL2H back. Not just one like it, but the same one.

So do yourself a favor. Save up, get the Les Paul, and live happily ever after.
        Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Guitars lost to gas (that I can remember)
          Pat Pending Wolfgang - Ebony
          Wolfgang Standard - Trans Red
          81 LP Custom - Ebony w/duncans
          NUMEROUS (over 1 dozen easy) USA B.C. Rich superstrats and one Mockingbird
          Trans Blue SL2H
          Erie Des SL-1
          LP Standard (Cherry Burst)
          LP Studio (Alpine)
          Two Fender American Strat Plus'

I'm sick just thinking about some of these... Powertube.. you are right. If I can't save for it.. I don't need it.

Comment

Gotta agree with what the other guys said. When you find a great player, KEEP IT. Unless you need to sell it to survive. Even if you end up with an LP you love, you will probably find yourself thinking about the SL2H you used to have.

I'll be hitting 41 this year, and I plan on playing my interference Jackson for many more years. It was my first non-graphic Jackson, so to me it is a tame finish.

Comment

Oh yeah.. also had a trans red sl-1 for a few days.. it was HORRIBLE guitar. Not sure what was up with that one.

Comment

if you need to be talked out of it, then there is existing guilt, find another solution to getting that Paul back.
                Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Oh yeah.. also had a trans red sl-1 for a few days.. it was HORRIBLE guitar. Not sure what was up with that one.
                  That's a good point. While we all hold USA Jacksons near and dear to our hearts, some just have more magic than others. If you found one that fits you like a glove, don't part with it.

Don't let the finish be the deciding factor. You can always send it to Mike Learn to "class it up"!

Comment

I'm going to be 43 shortly. When I played a gig recently with my RR1T several people were psyched that I was playing a pointy "Flying V". I would rock the SL with my head held high. Save up and buy a Les Paul, don't flip the SL to get it.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I am a buy-and-hold person because I hate regret.

I hear Gibsons suck and the quality control is horrible, but then again I have 6 Les Pauls and 2 SG's so what the hell do I know.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for talking me down from the ledge. LOL You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now.

Hellbat.. when I busted out the Jackson to play at the Church the teens went nuts too.

Is Mike the go-to guy for doing refin's? I may have to research that for one of my BC Rich's!!!

Comment

mike learn is a bad motherfucker, end of story .
                          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                            I just found his site... W O W ! ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                              Yep, I had him refin my classic white Carvin with blue flamely skulls (so much for going for something more my age )

Comment

Working...
                              X