Anyone ship a mountain bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ship a mountain bike?

So I want to use my mountain bike for commuting to work in New York City, like I did when I lived in Boston, but the damn thing is in Florida. Anyone have any experience in shipping a mountain bike?

It’s an early to mid 90s Cannondale without suspension. I put road tires on it and it’s worked real well in the past. I’m just not sure how much this will cost. Also, not sure it’ll make it intact…I was thinking of using FedEx.

I can take both wheels off to make a smaller footprint, but not sure what else I can do to make it smaller. I’ve shipped many a guitar, but have no clue with bicycles…although I’ve heard of people using the bike shipping boxes to ship guitars!
    "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Last edited by texasfury; 01-10-2012, 08:43 PM.
    Just a guitar player...

Comment

Originally posted by texasfury View Post
      It will not be cheap. You might find it cheaper to just buy a used one in NYC. Are you already there, or if not how are you getting there?

Instead of paying a lot of money for inefficient shipping, you should investigate ways to reduce your costs when you want to send a bike to a different location. One of the biggest factors in reducing your bike shipping costs is minimizing...

If you need to ship a bike. you must take the proper precautions to ensure that the cycle is not damaged in transit. You can assure the bike's safe arrival at its final destination if you box, and pack, it properly. You can safely and...

I'm sure there are other sites as well.

Thanks for the links. I've been in NYC for a couple yrs now, but am flying into FL for the weekend. Usually I only make down once a yr, so if I'm gonna ship it now's the time. But, I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. It's nearly 20 yrs old, but is well built and has served me well in the past. IIRC, it's also US-made, and who knows where they're made nowadays...which makes me wonder if I should save the bike from the perils of NYC.

The pros for shipping it is it'll free a bit more room in my in-laws storage space, which my mother-in-law would like alot!...can't say she too enthusiastic that the bike is sharing the space with my half stack, a bunch of guitar parts, pieces and a few cases, not including my fishing equipment and anything else I love doing but can't have in the city!

If I can ship it for $75 or so, I think it'd be worth it.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Just ride it back to NYC!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Look's like I'm posting my Gary Fisher 29er in the classifieds... cha-ching!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

there's an outside chance you can maybe counter to counter it on your flight. I've seen friends
            check in 3 or 4 surfboards at the airport. they might take your bike, of course they bend you over on the
            price but i think you can do something like that.
            Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
              there's an outside chance you can maybe counter to counter it on your flight. I've seen friends
              check in 3 or 4 surfboards at the airport. they might take your bike, of course they bend you over on the
              price but i think you can do something like that.

Interesting thought. I'm flying JetBlue who does accept bikes for $50, but still have to take the pedals off and box it up with foam like I'm shipping it. I'll think about this route. Here's what JetBlue's website says:

Bicycles
              What is accepted:

Bicycles will be accepted in a hard-sided, padded case designed for bicycles. If not in a hard-sided case, bikes will be accepted with the handle bars secured sideways and pedals removed. The bicycle must also be encased in plastic foam, a cardboard box, or similar material to prevent damage.

Domestic Flights:

Bicycles are accepted on domestic flights for a fee of $50 per bike each way and will count as one of your checked bags.

Please note: overweight baggage fees will not be assessed for bicycles. However, the maximum allotment of 99 lbs per bag still applies.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Look's like I'm posting my Gary Fisher 29er in the classifieds... cha-ching!
                If this doesn't work, I'll start taking offers!

Comment

Working...
                X