Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

George Lynch vs. Don Dokken: Round...uh, I lost count...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Lynch vs. Don Dokken: Round...uh, I lost count...

So with the reunion in the shitter, the old feud has kicked back up:

More items linked in that story, but it appears they're trading jabs. Combine that with this interview:

And it appears the entire Dokken camp is back to hating Don...with the possible exception of Jon Levin and the bassist of the week, of course.

Sad that the reunion will never happen, but with Don's voice...oh well. At least the feud is amusing. :P

You gotta love George. He has always spoke out about the FANS being the priority. I love the statement he makes about respecting the people who pay your bills. Wonder if Axl Rose will read that? LOL
    When I saw Dokken last year... after Levin played Tooth and Nail (which was awesome) he made a dig at George. I was like WTF? That was totally unnecessary!! Just b/c Levin is good it doesn't mean George sucks. UGH.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
      When I saw Dokken last year... after Levin played Tooth and Nail (which was awesome) he made a dig at George. I was like WTF? That was totally unnecessary!! Just b/c Levin is good it doesn't mean George sucks. UGH.
      Wait, Jon made a dig at George or Don did? If it's Jon, I'm gonna be disappointed in him. If it's Don...well, that's nothing new. I'm glad that George has come back down to earth after being a bit out there for awhile (by his own admission due to drug use and steroids). I'll take his word any day of the week over Don's.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
        Wait, Jon made a dig at George or Don did? If it's Jon, I'm gonna be disappointed in him. If it's Don...well, that's nothing new. I'm glad that George has come back down to earth after being a bit out there for awhile (by his own admission due to drug use and steroids). I'll take his word any day of the week over Don's.
        Don... his words were "George Who????"

Comment

lynch mob kicks dokken's ass, just my unhumble opinion.
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Wicked Sensation was a great album. And while Oni's voice was so-so on that tour from clips I've watched, George was on fire. The work with Robert Mason was okay, and Smoke and Mirrors is alright too...but man, I'm hoping this new album with Pilson and Brown in the fold comes out and knocks our heads off. George admits Smoke and Mirrors wasn't the best album, so hopefully he's set the bar higher for the next record.

Comment

Lynch = arrogant, absolutist with thinking his opinions are right and if you disagree then you're the enemy, a bully, notorious for violent outbursts

Dokken = irresponsible, frivilous, typical hair-metal 80's party boy

It wasn't meant to work out and Dokken was lucky to get as many albums out as they did.

Comment

Whooooopyyy!!
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Don is lucky as hell that he was surrounded by world class musicians that supported his weak ass vocals that are 1,000 times weaker now in his middle age. Really had trouble digging in and hitting the high stuff live from what I recall. And I saw them about 3 or 4 times in late 80s.

(Still have the t-shirt George signed outside the bus on their tour with Aerosmith although I couldn't fit it over my head now.)

When I think back on a lot of Dokken songs I loved I can hear the riffs and solos in my head but the vocals have become forgettable basically.

George's talents made those songs what they were.

Don ain't qualified to sing back up vocals on those musical birthday cards.
                  Last edited by Larz; 06-02-2011, 02:43 PM.
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

Anyone hear Don's vocals on the re-recorded Dokken tracks a while ago? Nuff said. Even on George's worse days he sounds better than Don ever has.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
                      Anyone hear Don's vocals on the re-recorded Dokken tracks a while ago? Nuff said. Even on George's worse days he sounds better than Don ever has.
                      LOL... I can't believe that he would even think his voice is better now.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                        Wicked Sensation was a great album. And while Oni's voice was so-so on that tour from clips I've watched, George was on fire. The work with Robert Mason was okay, and Smoke and Mirrors is alright too...but man, I'm hoping this new album with Pilson and Brown in the fold comes out and knocks our heads off. George admits Smoke and Mirrors wasn't the best album, so hopefully he's set the bar higher for the next record.
                        Oni is definitely not as strong live as in the studio, but rarely is anyone else unless you're Robert Plant, or someone like Dio. Ray Gillen could pull it off live,
                        that guy had some pipes on him. I love the sound of oni's voice on the albums though. It just fits right. That 1st Lynch Mob album is ridiculously good.
                        The 2nd one with mason has its moments, but not as good as with Oni, i'm talking songwise here. Smoke and Mirrors I like just because outside of the new ratt
                        album what the hell else is there to listen to from new bands? Seriously , i'd like to know if anyone can help me. I'm not into guitars tuned down to Q minor, and growling screaming frontmen that sound like someone's got a bic lighter on high taped to their skin burning them to death, unless of course it's Pantera. Don't get me wrong, i like a good angry scream once in a while like Sebastian bach in the middle of that tune Breaking Down right before the solo, or even a couple of Korn tunes i can deal with, (*that's because they used to be my neighbors downtown in huntington beach so i was forced to kinda like them cuz i used to party with them before they got famous)
                        I just don't like tunes that from start to end is one long "chug chug chug" guitar with constant puke screaming into the mic.
                        I'm pretty picky with my music, but i gotta say i heard a new whitesnake tune it it sounded really good to me, had a groove to it and everything. i like the old whitesnake better of course , slide it in, etc. but the new tune was good and catchy, that motherfucker Coverdale can still belt them out.
                        by the way i met george lynch, he couldn't have been cooler to me. i met him at the galaxy theatre near my house in '96 or so, i had an ESP skulls and snakes , the one that was the cover of the first lynch mob album. i brought it with me cuz i knew the guy who ran the stage there and he let me come and i busted it out, george started playing it. he signed it and it said to Tommy,
                        how come yours plays better than mine? We rapped for alittle while, he was cool as a cucumber to me.
                        Last edited by atomic charvel guy; 06-02-2011, 03:21 PM.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                          by the way i met george lynch, he couldn't have been cooler to me.
                          That sounds consistent with other players/fans that have met him.

Comment

[QUOTE=atomic charvel guy;1434545]because outside of the new ratt
                            album what the hell else is there to listen to from new bands? QUOTE]

yo Tommy, you HAVE to pick up the new Whitesnake album.

I finally got around to buying the new Ratt last week, and grabbed brand spankin' new WS cd, Forevermore, at the same time. The Ratt album has great guitar playing all over it (I wasn't sure about Cavazo joining, but he does great), but the vocals & lyrics are weak as piss. Pearcy's singing has always annoyed me, but I dig Warren & Robbin's playing, so in time I learnt to ignore the vocals. But the insipid lyrics of the new album, combined with Pearcy's constant ripping off of DLR melodies and affectations, just seems to really get under my skin. For a guy fronting a band for so long, he's still less impressive than a run of the mill local cover band singer.

Maybe it's just because I listened to that album AFTER several runthroughs of the new Whitesnake disc. Much stronger effort. Smoking playing by both guitarists (I love Reb, but Aldrich edges him again on this one. Does lean a bit on the Syke-isms at times though), much stronger songs, and when Coverdale sings something as inane as "baby, baby, baby", you believe him. Check it out. You'll thank me
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzan_josh View Post
                              You gotta love George. He has always spoke out about the FANS being the priority. I love the statement he makes about respecting the people who pay your bills. Wonder if Axl Rose will read that? LOL
                              If George cares so much about the fans maybe he should woodshed a little more so he can play his own songs without choking. Don doesn't have a lot of room to talk since his voice has gone south, but considering Lynch has slagged him from the start, who can blame him for rubbing it in? Fact is that at the start Xciter could NOT get a record deal, while Don Dokken DID get a deal and included George. Of course he used a George song that George said "no" to him using, but then George was dumb enough to say no when he had jack shit going for him. He waqs smart enough to change his mind when Don had a deal instead of blowing it, but instead of making the best of a good thing he kept his resentment alive the whole time. He actually tried to get the rest of the band onboard with firing Don and trying to keep the name Dokken! That'd be like DLR trying to take the Van Halen name away from Ed and Al!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X