Electrical Wiring Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Wiring Help!!

We're replacing the fluorescent lighting in one room to halogen track lighting. When I removed the fluorescent fixture, there were 2 sets of wires leading into the box, both of which contained red/black/white/ground. The 2 reds were connected and taped off, the 2 blacks the same. The whites each went to the fluorescent fixture.

I disconnected all of the wires, taped off one set of red/black/white/ground and tucked it away. I used the other set for my new fixture, but it only uses black/white/ground, so I taped off the red as it was unused.

The new light doesn't work. What did I do wrong? Do I switch up the red and black? Or, is there something else wrong with the wiring?
    Last edited by 6string40; 06-05-2011, 04:18 PM.

Tried switching the red for the black...also tried the other set of wires...still nothing.

Comment

Sounds to me like they have a 3-way switching system running through the fluorescent lights - using the black and red conductors as travelers. While I would never do it this way, you never can tell with popular mechanics electrician wannabees. For a quick fix, try putting it all back to how you found it. If it is as I think, you likely either do not have a hot or a neutral connected to the light. If the two whites were connected to the fluorescent, one had to be the hot and one had to be the neutral. By taping off one set of wires, you nixed one of the two. In addition, if the light is on a 3-way switching system, only one switch would work unless you connect your travelers.

I don't know who did that original wiring, but if I were you, I'd have a qualified, registered electrician have a look. I have a sneaky suspicion that some weekend warrior, handyman or Uncle Bob pieced this together and something is likely not kosher.
      Last edited by joelayres; 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM.
      You sir, can go you fuck yourself and don't let the door hit you in the vagina on the way out.
      You're such a pretencious, phony, boring, transparent, self righteous worthless fuck..You are amusing as a genital wart!
      --horns666 - 12/08/08

Hey, if those are fake tits..is fake titty fuggin' cheatin'? I say no!
      --horns666 - 12/29/08
      I think your dad jacked off in a flower pot and you were born a blooming idiot.
      --LouSiffer - 06/25/09

Comment

I have to agree. Something doesn't sound right and faulty electrical is NOT something you want to mess around with.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Thanks fellas...we just bought the house in March and have been gutting/remodeling the entire first floor. All the other electrical work seemed to be on the level...this is the first I've run into anything odd like this. That light hasn't worked since we bought the place...I had originally chalked it up to a bad ballast, but now I have to wonder. I've disconnected it at this point and I'll have someone else take a look at it. I know how to do a good bit of handywork, but when people start getting creative with wiring, that's where I have to draw the line.

Comment

Yep, sounds like some plum asked people on an internet forum somewhere the best way to wire up his lights before you. Hey, wait a second...!
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
            X