Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys store your music and in what format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys store your music and in what format?

I ripped all of my CDs to a WMA format (using Verizon Rhapsody) because I have a Blackberry, but I'm not sure if this was a good idea or a waste of time because everything in the world seems to prefer mp3.

I've recently picked up an iPhone 4 from my dad but can't use it (I'm Verizon and it's AT&T). I've been told to use it as an iPod. I want to have good quality playback.

So, what should I do? I want to do it right this time

Thanks.

Honestly, I rip all of my stuff to FLAC for lossless archival. For portable/lossy compression, I still just go with a VBR MP3.

Comment

i use WMA with my mp3 players. i HATE the shit quality of the mp3.....the high-end always sounds weird to me.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

When I get new CD's I rip them at 256Kbps VBR MP3. One day when I'm feeling saucy I'll re-rip everything in FLAC or Ogg Vorbis or something lossless and then downconvert from there for my devices but really 256K MP3 does good enough for most of my purposes.

Lately though I've just been buying albums on itunes so whatever AAC format Apple uses.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Ok guys, your flying over my head.

What is:

FLAC?
          VBR?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            i use WMA with my mp3 players. i HATE the shit quality of the mp3.....the high-end always sounds weird to me.
            So maybe I should stick to WMA? I honestly haven't tried copying to my devices because I assumed they wouldn't take anything but MP3.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Ok guys, your flying over my head.

What is:

FLAC?
              VBR?

Thanks.
              FLAC stands for Free Lossless Audio Codec, http://flac.sourceforge.net/. VBR stands for Variable Bit Rate, it's still MP3 format but of a better quality that a set bit rate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_bitrate

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                ... it's still MP3 format but of a better quality that a set bit rate.
                Not sure where you get that from:think:. A 320kbps Constant Bit Rate will be equal or of higher quality than any VBR. What VBR will give you is a high quality file at a smaller file size if size is an issue for you (small hard drive, low capacity iPod, etc...). VBR is more efficient, and a 256kbps VBR can sound as good as a 320kbps CBR, but it won't surpass it in quality. Many feel that 320k CBR's are a waste of space, but I hear funny things in VBR files and when I listen to them side by side, I can usually tell which is the VBR. Perhaps it's just me?

To answer the original question....
                I rip everything to 320kbps Constant Bit Rate. It's the highest quality mp3, and unlike FLAC and WMA, it's pretty much the most universal of all formats. All players will play mp3 files. I don't want to have to rip in different formats for different devices.
                Last edited by BayRocker; 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM.
                My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

You know what, you're right about that BayRocker. I stand corrected

Comment

VBR MP3 files cannot be read by some MP3 players, also.
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Sharkin is correct. In principle, VBR will (or should) be better at the same average bitrate as CBR. In VBR, you get to spend the same amount of bits as CBR, only you can redistribute them over time to better code critical parts (i.e., a special case of the allocation with VBR would be the same as CBR, discounting any overhead). CBR at 320kpbs can easily be better than VBR at 256 kbps. Keep in mind that the encoder is not standardized in mp3, so the quality of encoders may vary. I believe that AAC is till best in terms of average perceived quality at the same bitrate, but most people simply use mp3 at a higher bit-rate (including myself).
                      Last edited by javert; 06-09-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                        Many feel that 320k CBR's are a waste of space, but I hear funny things in VBR files and when I listen to them side by side, I can usually tell which is the VBR. Perhaps it's just me?
                        VBR files seem to clip within the file itself (if I can explain it that way), I don't really know how to explain it that well. I discovered that when I was doing webradios back in the days, my VBR files would always clip compared to my CBR files.

I just use MP3 but I don't have a set bitrate within my library. If I have to say which bitrate rules a majority, 320kbps for sure. I'd use FLAC files if I didn't care for space, but unfortunately I do, so...
                        I <3 DR Strings.

2007 Jackson KV2
                        2006 Schecter C1 Blackjack
                        Randall RG75G2
                        Line 6 PODxt

Comment

I put everything on Itunes, then added all the artwork so I can see the albums. 5000 + pain in the ass!!
                          I kept all the cd's..the whole fuckin' wall of them
                          Itunes, some say compresses the music, but using itunes/Ipod playback keeps the music in CD quality.
                          Could be bullshit.
                          compress with Itunes..use Itunes to uncompress...or something.
                          I have A wicked killer sound system in my 4by....adjustable componants, adjustable crossovers, twin 10 inch subs..seperate amps for everything..and I notice A CD I imported to Itunes burned in their AAC/MP4 format..sounds great!
                          Last edited by kramer; 06-09-2011, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll need to absorb this info

Comment

downdoad iTunes to your computer, its free. Connect your iPhone to your PC, import whatever CD you have or any audio files on you computer and try it out. Then use the iPhone's as an iPod. I haven't imported all my stuff but I thinks it cool as hell as I can buy whatever song/album from iTunes right from my phone. I bougth a lot of old stuff I had on vinyl and can listen in my car stereo or anything really.
                              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Working...
                              X