Am I wrong here ...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wrong here ...?

OK, I want to see if anyone else agrees with my viewpoint on this situation or if I am just being retarded.

I had an Epiphone SG Limited Edition in Alpine White that I just was not bonding with. I posted it up on my local CL for trade for another guitar.
    It was in nice shape, with just a little BB-sized ding on the back of the headstock and some minor scratches near the output jack (all of which were mentioned and pictured in my CL ad.) All original, without a case.

I got an email offering a Drive Wildfire X2 in good shape with upgraded Seymour Duncan Seth Love SH-55 pickups that were professionally installed at Rainbow Guitars here in town. Looked nice, but knew nothing of the brand. Googled it, and what little info I could find was really positive reviews (build quality, features, etc.) and that it was a low-cost guitar (about $150 new, and some were blown out under $100.)

The guy swore up and down that there were different models of the X2, some were cheap and some (like this one) were about $450 new. I found no information to back this claim up anywhere online. He even claimed the tech that installed the SD pickups offered him $450 for it but he turned it down. He agreed to throw in a Behringer GM108 practice amp for my son to sweeten up the deal, since I needed one for my son but am flat broke.

So we made the trade. I figured the cheaper guitar with the nice pickups and the extra amp for my son is about a fair trade.

I went to do a string change and a fret board dressing (the first thing I do when I get any guitar), and figured I'd pull out the pickups to check the models. Lo and behold, they are the stock pickups! They just have a little sticker on the bottom of them that says WFX-2.

I emailed him and told him they are not SD pickups and he says yes they are. He is claiming that They are "upgrade" pickups and those don't have Seymour Duncan stamped on the bottom, and that I don't know what I am talking about.

I'm not so much upset that I got the short end of the bargain. I knew going in that my guitar was worth more than his, but I liked the guitar and really wanted that little practice amp so my son and I can practice together. What bugs me is that he flat-out LIED to me, and when I called him out on it, he still sticks to the lie and tells me that I am wrong!

Sorry for the novel, just had to get it out of my system. Am I wrong to think that's low? Sometimes I forgot how much people suck....

/RANT
    Last edited by DalyTek; 06-26-2011, 10:44 PM.
    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Post his name so no one else does business with him.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

It wasn't anyone from here. Are you saying to post his name up on CL?
      All I have is his first name, and his (2 different) email addresses and cell phone number.
      Would it be wise to do that when the dude knows where I live?
      My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

Comment

So, go to rainbow guitars and ask for the guy who installed the pickups supposedly. See if he has any idea what this guy is talking about. While youre there see if they know anything about this being a $450 guitar. My guess is that they've never heard of the guy.

Comment

He might believe that they are SD pickups and doesnt like being called out, otherwise it wouldnt be the first time someone has lied to sell/trade something

Still sucks to be shafted though,

How does the guitar sound?

Comment

I emailed him pictures of the undersides of them, so he freakin' knows....
            I posted up some pics in my NGD thread HERE
            Well, I pulled the pickups and put in a set of Dragonfire 81/85 actives. Sounds nice now.
            Not a bad guitar, I actually do like it. The trade would have happened anyway, as it's not the resell value I am concerned with.
            I just like people to be honest with me. I was raised to be honest and I expect the same in return.
            Humans just let me down every time I start to have a little faith in them.

Oh, and ironically, here's a post from the SAME DUDE, selling the SAME PICKUPS that were supposedly bought for and installed in this guitar from a month ago!
            http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/2395164698.html
            Last edited by DalyTek; 06-26-2011, 11:56 PM.

Comment

what a douche bag that dude is...sorry man. that is part of trading/buying on CL or eBay. There are always douche-noggins like this who have no integrity whatsoever
              shawnlutz.com

Comment

Yeah I know. I like CL because I hate having to deal with shipping. When I buy something I want to have it in my hands right away!

It all turned out OK though. My son is very happy with his little amp (the biggest reason for the trade happening--he comes first!) and I swapped the pickups and (most of) the electronics.
                It's actually a decent guitar in the long run.

Comment

I wouldn't be able to let this go because of the outright lying & telling you you don't know what you're talking about. I admire you for being able to, but at the same time, I hope the next guy teaches him the lesson he badly needs.

Comment

Buying stuff is overrated.

Comment

It's amazing what some people are willing to do for pocket change. You would think that their self-esteem and integrity would be worth more than that.
                      Last edited by javert; 06-29-2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Well the guy lied to you, but the time to check it out would have been before you made the trade - called the tech and at least checked the story of him offering $450. They let the cops lie to bust crooks too. You saw the guitar in person, played it, and took the trade. Write it up to a lesson learned, you let yourself be suckered. The bright side is that you like the guitar and your kid likes the amp, but most of the time someone takes the short end of the deal financially. Next time do a little more research, and ask yourself honestly if you'd have taken the deal anyway, even knowing you'd lose money, because you liked the guitar and for your son, the amp. If so, rest easy in the knowledge that you didn't get totally screwed. But as you said, if you push it and he knows where you live but you don't know where he lives, well you don't want him burning down your house at 4 AM because you ratted him out on Craigslist about the Seth Lover pickups! Let it go.
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Another reason not to do Craigslist business at your residence. I always have people meet me in public places. Or, their house or place of business.
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                            Well the guy lied to you, but the time to check it out would have been before you made the trade - called the tech and at least checked the story of him offering $450. They let the cops lie to bust crooks too. You saw the guitar in person, played it, and took the trade. Write it up to a lesson learned, you let yourself be suckered. The bright side is that you like the guitar and your kid likes the amp, but most of the time someone takes the short end of the deal financially. Next time do a little more research, and ask yourself honestly if you'd have taken the deal anyway, even knowing you'd lose money, because you liked the guitar and for your son, the amp. If so, rest easy in the knowledge that you didn't get totally screwed. But as you said, if you push it and he knows where you live but you don't know where he lives, well you don't want him burning down your house at 4 AM because you ratted him out on Craigslist about the Seth Lover pickups! Let it go.
                            I knew going in from my research that I was getting the lower end on the deal, and I was OK with that. I just feel like I shouldn't have to dismantle a guitar before I get it to make sure that it has the pickups I am told it has. I also found out a couple of days later that the truss rod is messed up. Luckily I have very angry dogs here (and the vicious dog warning sign that animal control makes us keep on our fence to prove it!) so I doubt he's coming back here, and if he does I will need a hose to remove him from the property lol.

I got the guitar playable, pickups upgraded, etc. so I did just chalk it up to a learning experience. I just wanted to vent my pissed-offedness to others and see if they would feel the same. Turned out OK in the end.

Comment

Wow, if the truss rod is bad, that could be a real problem down the line. If the neck's alright now and you're staying in Tucson, keep your fingers crossed!

Don't feel too bad, man! Most of us have made an ill-advised trade at one time or another, it is a learning experience. Good deal on the dogs too!
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X