No announcement yet.

Competitive/American style bbq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's the real difference between smoking and bbq?
    Is bbq about smoking in grilling environment, just without indirect heat?
    Over here the smokers are vertical and usually impossible to grill (even with indirect heat) with as the heat is in a totally isolated chamber and the woods for smoking go to the other chamber with the food. I guess at least 95% smoking is done to the fish over here and no one calls it barbecue.
    Or is it a temperature difference? But the again there's different kinds of smoking, cold smoking, hot smoking...
    Or is barbecue a combination of smoking and indirect grilling?
    Slow and low grilling or roasting over charcoal has been done for thousands of years and is probably the most appreciated method in Spain and its former colonies (specially in South-eastern Asian islands) for making extremely juicy pork, like Lechón.
    As I understand the roots for barbecue also come from Spaniards. Barbacoa slow roasting/grilling in Spanish colonies in Americas combined with pure smoking which was practiced by Native Americans developed into BBQ over the time and the emphasis became on smoking? Am I close?
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
      So what's the real difference between smoking and bbq?
      Is bbq about smoking in grilling environment, just without indirect heat?
      Over here the smokers are vertical and usually impossible to grill (even with indirect heat) with as the heat is in a totally isolated chamber and the woods for smoking go to the other chamber with the food. I guess at least 95% smoking is done to the fish over here and no one calls it barbecue.
      Or is it a temperature difference? But the again there's different kinds of smoking, cold smoking, hot smoking...
      Or is barbecue a combination of smoking and indirect grilling?
      Slow and low grilling or roasting over charcoal has been done for thousands of years and is probably the most appreciated method in Spain and its former colonies (specially in South-eastern Asian islands) for making extremely juicy pork, like Lechón.
      As I understand the roots for barbecue also come from Spaniards. Barbacoa slow roasting/grilling in Spanish colonies in Americas combined with pure smoking which was practiced by Native Americans developed into BBQ over the time and the emphasis became on smoking? Am I close?
      Your right smoking is smoking- low heat, long time. BBQ in my opinion,is grilled either fast or slow. Usually sauces are used during the cooking process, where as smoking you might use a rub or marinade to prepare the meat, but thats it. BBQ is more cooking, smoking is standing around waiting all day.

Comment

BBQ in Texas is not grilling. It is cooking with indirect heat which often involves smoke.
        http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Actually three functions.
          Slow smoking, below 200 deg F for brisket, pork BBQ, spare ribs.
          Next step up is more like baking on the grille for poultry, fishes, veggies, pork tenderloin...etc temp 250 to 350 degrees F.
          (That's BBQ to me)
          And then next up is broiling, one side hot for sear and other for cooking.
          I'm comfortable with 450 cool, 700 sear for various steaks, burgers and chops.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napalm View Post
            BBQ in Texas is not grilling. It is cooking with indirect heat which often involves smoke.
            I think BBQ means different things to different people. To me BBQ as a way of cooking. Some people think of it as BBQ sauce on whatever. We do BBQ ribs mostly in the oven, then throw on the grill with sauce to finish em. Pretty sure thats illegal in some localities, but they turn out great. Your description is better than mine, however smoking is just that, smoking.

Comment

Okay so I did up some St. Louis style ribs at a party I had this afternoon/evening at my pad where I invited a bunch of co-workers over. I put them on low & slow with some apple wood loaded up in my smoker and I think I could honestly get head from any of my male co-workers if I offered to make them ribs again.

Then when I did the honey garlic drumettes and the maui beef kabobs I sealed the deal hahaha.

It was quite awesome taking the dayoff work and just spending the afternoon reading, drinking beer, and every half hour or so giving the rack a nice sopping. (down rsmacker down!)
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

BBQ to me is cooking meat outside on a wood burner, charcoal or gas grill or smoker.
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Regarding the title of this thread... Why is it "competitive"?

Comment

In Texas its a sport. Not unlike football in some circles.
                    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Thanks for the explanation, I`m lost in the language here alot of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
                        Thanks for the explanation, I`m lost in the language here alot of the time.
                        Oi, no worries, mate, issa fair dinkum, eh?

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          Oi, no worries, mate, issa fair dinkum, eh?

:think: That sounds authentic...

Try this one...

Throw the rest of em snags on the barbie... fucken oath mate...

Comment

Working...
                          X