theory book recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theory book recommendations

Hey guys, does anybody have any recommendations for a good theory book? Not like a text book, but an overview that hits the main points kinda thing.
    I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

The people I've met who learned theory from a book never seemed to be able to integrate it into their playing. Have you considered taking lessons? I learned basic jazz improvisation from a jazz musician and I can't imagine anyone figuring this sort of thing out from a book without the feedback of a teacher who can demonstrate it.

Comment

I've thought about taking lessons but idk how much I could really learn in half an hour a week. I mean, I practice 3-5 hours a day, I know the basics, degrees, church modes, that kinda thing. Im just wanting to dig a little deeper.

Comment

In my opinion, theory is analysis after the fact.

That is, music=a guy doing a spectacular dive off of a 30ft high diving board, complete with flips, twirls, and hardly a splash in the water, whereas theory=a physicist quantifying the air resistance/trajectory/gravitational pull during the dive.

Sure, a teacher can tell you "a flatted 5th is a 'tension note', to be used sparingly in solos" or something like that, but you've got to hear it in your head before you can play something and have it sound interesting to you and (hopefully) others.

Either you've got talent or you don't. Unfortunately, I fall into the category of those who "don't"
        Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Try either Darwin's "On The Origin of Species" with its Theory of Evolution, or Sun Tsu's "Art of War". Both great theory books.

Einstein's Theory of Relativity is shit though, I think he made it up after watching Star Trek.
          Last edited by Rsmacker; 07-25-2011, 09:31 AM.
          So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Well, I played by ear for a long time, and not too long ago I started learning some theory and I've noticed a dramatic change in my playing. I mean, I knew the basic E major scale, but I didn't know why it was an E major scale, didn't know where else it could be played, or why that stuff really mattered. Im just looking to understand more, and if it makes me a little better player then it will be more then worth it imo.

Comment

Working...
            X