Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wifi experts, some suggestions please....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi experts, some suggestions please....

I'm in a secondary building at work, the main building has the wireless router in it. In the building I'm in I can catch a full stregnth signal only on the eastern side of the building, however there is a much nicer office available to me at the other end of the building.

Since I am reliant on being able to use the webz, I'm thinking about installing a wireless n repeater.

Here's my concerns:

1) Will this work coreectly, as opposed to an actual AP(access point/hard wired).
    2)I've heard talk that the repeater will cut pipe speed in half?

Is there anything else that I should know regarding this, and what's the cheapest(but still reliable) way of doing this?

Thanks
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Why isnt your IT department handling this?? I would make sure theyre ok with it as well before you do it. Ive never heard of a repeater cutting bandwidth, unless its just repeating a shitty signal to begin with. A repeater is purely a garbage in/ garbage out device. As far as will it work, sure.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

A repeater will add latency and impact bandwidth slightly but for surfing the JCF it should be fine.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
        Why isnt your IT department handling this?? I would make sure theyre ok with it as well before you do it.
        He IS the IT Dept, he's winged his way into a job and relies on being able to go online and find the answers whenever something fucks up. Better than being a real IT geek, who's never kissed a girl and speaks Klingon.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Hegh Daq qul!
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
            He IS the IT Dept, he's winged his way into a job and relies on being able to go online and find the answers whenever something fucks up. Better than being a real IT geek, who's never kissed a girl and speaks Klingon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              Hegh Daq qul!
              Watch out Bat, Jayster will Batleth your ass.
              Last edited by Twitch; 07-27-2011, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                Funny enough this is true, I'm doing all of the drafting and design work. Which means I need the interwebz.... And due to rendering video and using many FTP's and other bandwith heavy needs....
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Bluffing - The best way in life.

(Unless you are Wilksy-Baby, then it's "Fluffing")
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems with a repeater. It's just what it sounds like. I've had good results with this one (although I'm using it as an ethernet adapter and not a repeater).
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X