No announcement yet.

How the hell do ya send a coffin case??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the hell do ya send a coffin case??

I made a trade for my V to someone on here. I went out and bought a coffin case for it so it would get there safely....

NOW I have the guitar packed well in the case cut support foam and filled the case so its not moving around. Padded the points and supported the neck so the guitar in the case is fine.

Now the problem...I have the coffin case in the box it came in. THIS SOB IS HUGE....There is no room in the cardboard box to pack any material to protect the case....I dont want this thing knocked around with nothing more than a layer of cardboard protecting it from impacts as I dont trust the case structure that much....

I took it to fed ex and asked if I could mummify with paper and they told me they would not cover a claim because the paper could tear....WTF???? I cant locate anyone here that has a bike box that will fit this thing either which was easy to find in Colorado.

Looking for suggestions..>The only other idea I have is to cut apart another box and build a second skin onto the current box ends but I dont know how well this would hold up.

Never had one that wasnt in a Jackson case and those were easy to ship.
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Given the shape of the case, there's room to stuff padding at the bottom of the box so the angled edges are protected, or at least from those corners of the box crushing.

However, the primary concern is the guitar. As long as that's well-padded inside the case, I'd say mummify it in 2 rolls of heavy duty shipping paper and 2 rolls of carton-sealing tape. Yes, it can tear when it's tossed and shoved and bomb-dropped off a conveyor. Whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen. As long as the guitar gets there ok, it should be fine.

It's very important to wrap tape around the mid-section of the packaging so it acts as a "friction point" for carrying the box. Offset it towards the head of the guitar so they can't carry it upside down (and thus can't drop it upside down).
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

And here is the reason why I have not tried to sell my early '90's MIJ Epiphone Flying V.

Too much trouble trying to pack it up.

Take more cardboard boxes, cut them up and make an outer box using as much cardboard padding and packing tape as you can.

It'll look like a carboard frankenstein but I've seen some hilarious packaging while in line at UPS and USPS and they shipped them without blinking an eye.

Comment

I have one of those and i hate it. I say mummify it in bubblewrap and some parcel paper and send it as it is, you should be ok.
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I was sent a Charvel model 1A, without a case, by surface mail in the UK. The Guy wrapped it up in various grades and offcuts of polyethylene foam sheet and made a crude triangular box taped together with parcel tape to hold it in and packed that with newspaper. Actually he impressed me with his ingenuity and advanced parcel tape skills. Got to me fine no damage. USPS is one of the finest services in the world, have faith. It will soon surpass our own beloved Elizabeth Regina Royal Mail over here in the UK, once it is privatised and the government cronies can get their claws on some cheap shares and back pocket money.

As said, its the guitar that matters. Just make such it doesn't rattle about as that will do the damage, the case matter not. Although some expanded polyethylene sheet taped over it, followed by a layer of taped up cardboard will keep it immaculate from stratches and impacts.

From my experience, I've found that many couriers and posties are actually guitar players, its the airfreight aggage handling crews and warehousing staff you have to watch!

Polyethelene foam, magic stuff, from 3mm low density to 10mm high density, you can get all sorts of it in sheet form and it weighs next to nothing. If you are really worried about the case use Duck Tape and pay the extra pennies postage.

yeah go with the second skin idea, 8-10mm polyethlene foam and a layer of cardboard, held together by Duck tape!
          Last edited by ginsambo; 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM.
          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Lol, i had a coffin case for my RR5 and I used if for the Epi flying V I just sold, just to get rid of that huge friggin monster.

Comment

I am a dedicated Federal Express customer and I have experienced the same problem that you are having. I sold a guitar with one of those awful coffin cases. I had to find a huge box to send it in. The USPS wanted $120 for the shipment because it was oversized. UPS wanted $60. Only Federal Express charged a normal rate. I've used them ever since and am 100% happy with their service after being frustrated with UPS destroying guitars for the last 13 years.

As far as packaging, you were right about the second skin idea. It's done all the time. You just cut another box and slip it over. Tape it well, and even better, use the INSANTELY STRONG shipping tape at the Federal Express office. They are also instructed to re-tape anything that looks sketchy (unlike UPS, who apparently are instructed to throw guitars out of the van).

Comment

I think UPS uses this as part of their delivery training.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I just make my own boxes out of ones I have leftover. How do I mean? Glad you asked!

Last time I shipped a guitar in an odd case, I cut the box at one corner. I then laid the box out flat, put a layer of packing peanuts on a portion, then put the guitar on top of it. I then folded the box going around the guitar, with a layer of peanuts under each flap, and then taped it off. Package arrived to the buyer beaten a bit, opened it up and everything was just like the pictures said.

Comment

In a Hearse of course

Comment

Send it in a box marked "CAUTION! URINE SAMPLES INSIDE IN GLASS CONTAINERS. PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE. BEWARE SEEPAGE"

Make sure you put the sender as "G.U.M Museum - Oddities Dept"

It'll get there without a mark on it.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                        Send it in a box marked "CAUTION! URINE SAMPLES INSIDE IN GLASS CONTAINERS. PLEASE HANDLE WITH CARE. BEWARE SEEPAGE"

Make sure you put the sender as "G.U.M Museum - Oddities Dept"

It'll get there without a mark on it.
                        LOLOLOLOL
                        Now THIS is the best method I have ever heard!
                        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Rsmacker's always about the bodily fluids!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X