No announcement yet.

Put away them fake plastic guitars....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Put away them fake plastic guitars....

It appears UbiSoft is coming out with its version of Guitar Hero/Rock Band called Rocksmith. Looks interesting. Those other games had people thinking they knew how to play drums, bass, and guitar with the plastic controllers, now they'll really think they know how to play. I figure as long as they're wasting time learning how to play songs with colored buttons, it might as well be on a real guitar so they're actually learning something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egr-D...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx0S4FYip-k

I predict a run on garage sale guitars!
    Last edited by BayRocker; 08-04-2011, 06:22 PM.
    My Charvel/Jackson Family

I don't know; good idea, but to me it seems stupid still. It makes the electric guitar even more misunderstood and viewed as a practical instrument to play. Not that it already isn't.. I just hate the idea that it's a video game. Just pick up an instrument, because you like music.

Comment

It will lead to a resurgence in guitar sales, as more and more kids move from video game to garage bands. They'll at least be able to play the covers correctly.

And while I know that 5 plastic buttons and a pivoting switch is not equal to 6 strings and 22/24/+ frets and a pick, I'm not totally convinced the drums aren't as bad for teaching the basics - hand-foot coordination and keeping a beat. Yes you don't have the subtle nuances as with a real kit, but it's certainly a better alternative than starting out on a full acoustic kit right away and making more racket than anyone should.

Once I get off my ass and clear enough floor space to set up my Rock Band drum kit, I fully intend to put that theory to the test.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

If you can play the rock band drums on expert then you should be able to play a real kit with very little adjustment.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

After surgery for my broken index medicarpal on my left hand, I got loaded on painkillers and booze and played the shit out of Guitar Hero. A month or so later I was back to fingering basic chords. Still not the same though, 3 years later. But I'm very grateful for Guitar Hero, as it really helped me.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Playing rockband guitar def doesn't help play real guitar but imo playing real guitar makes you the shit at rockband guitar. I beat the game on expert pretty quick. I do remember a while back there was a video of a kid who could play drums on expert and someone put the color stickers on a real kit and he played the song. Don't know if there's any credibility to it tho.
            I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

If it gets kids into the right (Rock/Metal) type of music, I'm all for it!

Comment

They should have done it 3 years ago because the guitar-games novelty has come and gone.

Comment

WHat I've been intrigued by lately is these carboard guitars that are full-size, and have all the frets and strings printed on them, but appear to recognize real chords and single-string runs. Haven't seen one in person yet, but I've seen them in commercials on Adult Swim.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Seen the cardboard thing at Wal-Mart. Looks retarded. Can buy a cardboard amp too.
                    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Working...
                    X