Inadvertent Time Capsule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inadvertent Time Capsule

I thought maybe some others would find this interesting. Last week I was looking for a set of guitar strings and ended up digging out an old gig bag in my search. In the big zipper pouch on the outside I found some interesting items, so kept digging until I'd emptied it.

A little background: I bought this with one of my first guitars almost 30 years ago. After I moved out of the house, it was packed in a box with some other guitar gear when my parents moved in 1988. They moved two more times before they brought the box (and some other old stuff) to me after I bought a house in 2000. I did open the box and messed with some of the pedals, but apparently never bothered with the old gig bag. Since then, I've moved across country twice, so this thing has traveled all over, but just now been opened up - hence the time capsule part.

Here's what I found:
    • Few dozen picks: half with store info for stores that have been closed for two decades.
    • An unopened condom.
    • Short guitar cable: still works fine!
    • Two empty ziplock bags: one has an alligator clip in it.
    • A set of D'addario strings! The A is missing though and they're pretty brittle at this point in any event.
    • Three crumbled sheets of paper with partially written song lyrics, which reminds me why I quit trying to write lyrics and decided to concentrate on writing music!
    • Hand towel.
    • Two pairs of panties.
    • A set list!

All kind of interesting and quirky, but nothing too exceptional from a gig bag. However, what really brought back the memories was the song list. It was all relatively new and hip at the time:
    • Living After Midnight
    • Green Manalishi
    • Wasted
    • Natural Thing
    • White Line Fever
    • Rocks Off
    • Cold Gin
    • Heaven and Hell
    • Voodoo
    • Strong Arm of the Law
    • Heavy Metal Thunder

Challenge: name the bands for every song without the help of google, youtube, etc. (Confession: I had to double-check a couple....though partially due to my spelling/shorthand for the titles.)

I haven't played some of these for 25 years, but managed to play through the entire set last night (sans solos, admittedly) along with youtube....need some of these on CD so I can add them to my library.

Judas Priest
    Judas Priest (Fleetwood Mac)
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Kiss
    Black Sabbath
    Black Sabbath
    x
    Saxon

Best I could do
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Besides what Axegrinder87 said,

Wasted = Def Leppard
      Natural Thing = UFO
      Strong Arm of the Law = Saxon

Comment

What was the alligator clip for?

I wouldn't try to use the Jimmy hat hehe.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by rstites View Post
          [*]Two empty ziplock bags: one has an alligator clip in it.
          I guess your parents got to its contents first!
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

What did them panties smell like after all this time? Like victory?
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

unopened condom + 2 pairs of panties = 4 x child support. You better run!
              Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                :think: :think:

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

In addition to Axegrinder87 answers.

#3 Def Leppard
                  #4 UFO
                  #5 Know the song title, but can't place it.
                  #6 Def Leppard?
                  #7 Kiss
                  #11 Saxon?
                  #12 No idea

Edit: Ah just noticed post by DonP :/

Comment

[*]Three crumbled sheets of paper with partially written song lyrics, which reminds me why I quit trying to write lyrics and decided to concentrate on writing music!
                    To make this thread complete, you must post lyrics sheet!
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

White Line Fever would be Motorhead. "Lemmy is God!"
                      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                        White Line Fever would be Motorhead. "Lemmy is God!"

Comment

Warning: long post is long!

Not too surprising how quick you guys were on the songs. Saxon was great. Why haven't I ever bought those on CD? I have the cassettes around somewhere, but no cassette player anymore. Is it just me, or did Def Leppard start off with their best work and just go down from there? That riff in Rocks Off is excellent. I listened to all of On Through the Night while working today. That album rocked. High'n'Dry rocked, but not quite as much. Pyromania was fine, but got old pretty quick. Hysteria I can't listen to, to this day. It got so overplayed and honestly it's not as good as the others IMO. I have a great story about concert tickets for that tour I'll have to relate someday though...

UFO totally rocked too. That's surprisingly the hardest riff out of the group to play. It steps up G to A every time, but ends on the A sometimes, ends on a C sometimes, and sometimes goes to a D than ends on E. Plus, that song is a textbook example of how to transition between keys smoothly to keep things interesting. I got distracted playing Rock Bottom too... Cool stuff. I really dug UFO in the day. I even have the first two albums, pre-Schenker, around somewhere. They're all space rock stuff, but fun.

Some followup:

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                          I guess your parents got to its contents first!
                          Honestly, the baggies are a bit weird. I was never into pot much. I probably smoked a few dozen joints total, and half of those were the ones passed around at concerts. I'm certain I never even bought the stuff, so I'm a bit bamboozled by those baggies in there. My parents are complete tea-totaler, conservative Christian sorts.* I doubt they'd have any clue what pot was. They probably would have freaked over the condom and panties far more than the "baggies full of catnip". Really, your guys guesses are as good as mine here. I assume I just stuffed it all in there one night after rehearsal or a show or something, not paying attention to what I was grabbing in the dark.

* Frankly, I got by with tons of shit in high school due to their naivety. I didn't do much pot, but did try pretty much everything, and drank a ton of hard liquor (relatively). Luckily, I'm not an addictive personality.

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                          It never occurred to me to stick them in my face and sniff them, but from a normal distance nothing particularly smelly about them. (Not my fetish there! ) I don't recall the circumstances of either. They're both a little freaky, but in different ways. One is string bikini with lace ruffle type things, and looks like it should have belonged with an outfit of some sort. So, somehow I ended up with these and recall nothing about them, and some poor girl had an outfit with one part missing...granted the most pointless part, but still.

The other is freakier to my 40+ year old self. They're a black string bikini with Mickey Mouse on them. I kid you not. Somehow they ring a bell, but I can't place them. My one saving grace here, is that I was certainly a high-schooler when these things arrived in my possession, which puts the MM drawers in a bit more perspective....at least that's what I'm telling myself! A face or name is on the tip of consciousness on these, but then disappears every time I try to think about it. I might be off on the wrong track too, so best not to think about it too much.

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          Check the time lapse here. No worries. I noted 5.5 years ago when the month passed that I could no longer ever hear about any child support cases.* As is, I'm celebrating 22 years of marriage next week and just celebrated 25 years of being together last month. I'm safe! I don't even have to answer anyone at this point.

Btw, the same time I got the box of guitar gear back from my parents, I got some other things back that included my wallet from high school. In the hidden pocket at the back it still had a condom too. I did open it up and it felt gritty inside. All of the lube must have dried up over the years, even though it was sealed, and it felt like sand in there.....would not recommend using!

* Prompted by a cousin who did indeed find out about a child, 14 years after he'd last seen the mom!

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                          To make this thread complete, you must post lyrics sheet!
                          Two of them are full of scratch-outs and scribbles from back in the day. There's nothing concrete there. The other is an epic fantasy-D&D-esque story about a sword or something. I was trying to write a Rush type song inspired with something like Black Blade (BOC) or something. It's wretched. I wanted to be Neil Peart lyrically. I didn't want to write about sex, drugs, rock-n-roll. I would have done better if I'd written about those most likely!

Ironically, I did work with a couple of guys much later in life whom I could churn out some pretty good lyrics with. I just don't have the right creative thing going to write them by myself. Riffs and songs OTOH, I feel pretty confident about.

Comment

I really dug UFO in the day.

Hell i love them still today, lol. So what band was the Heavy Metal Thunder from since it's the only unnamed one yet...?

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                              So what band was the Heavy Metal Thunder from since it's the only unnamed one yet...?
                              Saxon

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X