Shipping container homes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping container homes

These interest me so much; I found an article about a Dutch apartment student housing complex made out of hundreds of containers: http://www.tempohousing.com/projects/keetwonen.html
    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

dude, fuck that.

Comment

Heh, iRobot. I like the houses that are old missile silos and 747s.
      HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Saw a thing on the news like that a while back. People are also making stacked apartments out of them. They're like $2000 each and solid steel construction, so they're pretty sturdy. I mean, they're cargo containers used on ships, not truck trailers, so they have to be sturdy.

Get yourself a ship and a thousand containers and set up a floating factory where goods are produced on the ship and the crew/workers live in the container apartments and you're ready for the global flooding from the polar caps
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

We have those in my town as well

It may look like some 3rd world concept, but they are usually bigger and cheaper to rent (often cleaner as well) compared to some of the 'solid' student-flats who are privately owned by moneysharks
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I read an article quite awhile ago about a guy in Maibu who built a custom home using these containers. It looked pretty cool and I bet it is way more structurally sound than standard construction techniques. In case of earthquake my guess is that the house would move as a whole rather than come apart because it is bolted together and would have great structural strength.
            Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

And if you could build in internal suspension frame like those SKB rotoracks......
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                student-flats who are privately owned by moneysharks
                We call them "slum lords" here.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                  We call them "slum lords" here.
                  Couldn't find a suitable translation

especially since many of the "private dorms" are in anything BUT slums
                  (Historic) canal houses in the old inner city that may cost up to €1million depending on the size
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                  X