Hurricane Irene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Irene

Hey East Coasters! First, a big earthquake, now hurricanes! I hope you all are prepared and will ride this out with no injuries or problems!

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

We just started getting our pounding here in Virginia Beach. Three tornado warnings here already, and we saw lots of rotation in the last band just to our South. Power should be out pretty soon. Hopefully not for a week like w/ Isabel. We're 8 mi. inland here, I've got the generator ready, and we have gas hot water & stove, so we're in pretty good shape as long as
    we avoid wind damage. We lived right on the bay for the last one, and that was enough of that shit for me. Our backyard is a lake right now from the rain, but that beats the hell out of having saltwater shooting backwards out of the storm sewers and up the driveway.

Comment

Stay safe dg! Good vibes sent.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I'm hoping it dies down quite a bit before it gets here, but I just took my boat out of the water just to be safe. From what I can see, so far about half of the people on the lake took their boats out, the other half are taking the chance. My neighbor's wife started nagging the shit out of him to take their boat out when she saw that I took ours out. For his sake I hope it doesn't sink, he'll NEVER hear the end of it

Comment

hope it veers off to the ocean....

Comment

It just turned to the NE, and it's supposed to go back offshore when it goes over us later. That's actually bad news, because it'll keep its strength as it goes up the coast, and it won't take enough of a turn to get clear & spare the Northeast.

Hopefully, Len will check in. He was close to the landfall point, and I hope everything's OK with him.

So far for us, just a few limbs down and one leak from the rain getting pushed up the roof & under some flashing. Power is out all around us, but we still have it here. It seems to have slowed, so still about 4 hrs. until the eye gets here. One fatality (child) about a half hour away from a falling tree hitting an apartment bldg. I reeeeally want to have a brew or three, but we've got two little guys to keep safe. Good luck to everybody else in the path, and thanks for the well wishes!

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post

Hopefully, Len will check in. He was close to the landfall point, and I hope everything's OK with him.

He's online right now...
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Comment

Well. it was sort of over hyped here but Im without power since 9 am today. Running off the car inverter for a couple hours. Got to have my internet for a bit. Also Ive got the 9v mini fender amp for jammin.

Comment

We thought we were in the clear, but power went out around midnight. I've got a 4kW generator wired into the panel, so we have everything but the central air working. It was hot & humid today, but it's supposed to cool down a lot tonight or tomorrow, so we're doing pretty well. Glad the cable & internet are working, because they usually go out here when we get bad power outages.

Comment

Here's a video showing the incredible devastation here in Maine-

http://youtu.be/6LiB2ojZRO8

Comment

Working...
                      X