Itunes guys, question for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Itunes guys, question for you

I'm gonna format my HD tomorrow and I'm not packing up my itunes (long story). Anywho, when I reinstall itunes and plug my iphone into the PC, is it going to format my iphone?

I think i've done it once before, and I was ok as long as I selected 'manually sync music'. Is that correct?

kinda worried about this

thanx!

Read this...

For most users, iTunes does a great job of handling all of the details of managing your media library for you, allowing you to manage your content through ...
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

*sigh*

that's not gonna work for me. I don't have shit saved in my itunes library. I DL stuff, throw it onto my iphone, then I delete it to keep it from taking up space on the HD. Dumb, I know, but that's the situation.

Comment

If your iPod is set to Manually Manage music, you will not lose your data, because you control what is synced to it by dragging it. If it is an iPhone, which I believe you said it was, make sure you sign into your iTunes and authorize your computer as you, (like signing into the Itunes store.) iPhones are retarded, and only allow you to sync up with ONE computer, so if possible, back your music up or the iPhone data itself. If the iPhone is set to manually manage music, you should NOT lose any data, like music. However, adding music may not work manually if you completely swipe iTunes. An iPod will be fine, but the iPhone may spasm with a "clean slate" iTunes library. I'm sorry if this doesn't help, but it's the best I can do with my knowledge of Apple products! Another method, do homesharing and temporarily transfer your music to a friend's Mac.
        Ratt & Roll

Comment

is there a way to back up my itunes data? I don't mean all the music and shit, but whatever it takes for it to let me continue to add new shit manually to my iphone without deleting all the stuff I already have on it.

thanks!

oy vey

Comment

Here is a pretty decent tutorial on the whole process...

I've had to do this numerous times.

One thing I'll advise is to "de-authorize this computer" under the "Store" button at the top left of iTunes before a reformat. Only 5 machines can be authorized under your iTunes account, and if you reformat before you do it, you lose one and are down to four. Of course you get stuck and all 5 machines are authorized, you can deauthorize all computers, but not individual ones.
            My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
              Here is a pretty decent tutorial on the whole process...

I've had to do this numerous times.

One thing I'll advise is to "de-authorize this computer" under the "Store" button at the top left of iTunes before a reformat. Only 5 machines can be authorized under your iTunes account, and if you reformat before you do it, you lose one and are down to four. Of course you get stuck and all 5 machines are authorized, you can deauthorize all computers, but not individual ones.
              hey, thanks for that brosefina.

I'm going to read up on this and try my best. This shit is going down TONIGHT, son!

Comment

i ended trying a handful of 3rd party programs that didn't do what they promised, until I DLed copy/trans and have to pay $20 for it to pull the data off my phone.

but so far it looks like it's working!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Scarn View Post
                  i ended trying a handful of 3rd party programs that didn't do what they promised, until I DLed copy/trans and have to pay $20 for it to pull the data off my phone.

but so far it looks like it's working!!!
                  Sorry you had to toss twenty shells but it's the best bet! Unless you had another drive the only way to back up your iTunes music is to share it with another Mac with iTunes 9 or later, but I hope it works for you! Personally, I feel your pain, I've done it before and I'm super protective of my music, it is my LIFE!
                  Ratt & Roll

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Shreddy View Post
                    Sorry you had to toss twenty shells but it's the best bet! Unless you had another drive the only way to back up your iTunes music is to share it with another Mac with iTunes 9 or later, but I hope it works for you! Personally, I feel your pain, I've done it before and I'm super protective of my music, it is my LIFE!

my buddy brought over his external, but I don't keep my music on my HD. I still buy music, but not through itunes. I don't see the point of paying for digital music. I still buy CD's. I like to have to have the original CD/artwork, etc.

I don't rip CD's either as that takes too long, I just DL it, throw it on my ipod/iphone and then delete it from the hard drive.

I had my friend's external drive to back up all my data, but I had no way of backing up my itunes. That software I bought was able to rip the contents of my iphone though, worked great.

Comment

I'm just making a note to read this thread. I got an iPhone 4 when my dad passed away and haven't touched it for 8 months.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I'm just making a note to read this thread. I got an iPhone 4 when my dad passed away and haven't touched it for 8 months.
                        copytrans is what i used to get the shit off my iphone. if you ever need, you can holler @ me for the activation code.

Comment

Working...
                        X