Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was anyone else strictly a metallica, or megadeth guy growing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was anyone else strictly a metallica, or megadeth guy growing up?

I used to be strictly a 'Tallica guy. I saw them w/ CoC for the load tour when I was like 12 (1st concert ever) and refused to listen to any Megadeth.

I didn't start listening to megadeth until freshman year of collge (circa 2002). Now I've seen them live more than 'Tallica.

I've finally admitted to myself that Megadeth>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Metallica.

Can't believe I wasted my youth worshipping those 'Tallica fags

Who are these bands you're referring to?
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I have always been a fan of both bands, although I prefer Metallica. I bought my first Metallica cassette in 1983 and my first Megadeth tape in 1985. I never had any time for the BS rivalry - there was enough killer music between both bands to keep me happy.
      Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

I was faithful to metallica until they dropped st angus, which is a lot longer than must. I think I had been in college for a couple of years before they did me wrong w/ st angus. I thought death f@gnetic was awful too.

what I like about megadeth is that their new releases (albeit not the same caliber as the old stuff), still sounds like megadeth. If you compare new/old metallica you'd never know they were the same band. Metallica used to have the forumla for a perfect metal record down to a science. don't know what happened to them.

I think Jason newsted should join megadeth, that'd be sweet

Comment

i was grown up long before those bands, but i think megadeth crushes mettalica into ribbons
          Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Metallica ruled until the black album. I didn't buy any more after that.

Megadeth remember's their roots and is why I prefer them over Metallica.

Comment

I have to agree with the last two posts.

awwwe yeah, son.

Comment

i was an iron maiden guy through-and-through, though i did equally enjoy metallica and megadeth until "countdown to extinction". at that point, i started to greatly dislike megadeth. i began to think metallica sucked after the "black album" got over played and i felt tremendously betrayed when they toured with g-n-r.

now, i don't listen to either one of those bands because there are other groups that do what they did BETTER than either one ever did. plus, there is the european power metal which has the speed PLUS all the great stuff i loved about maiden, so it's more my thing...
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                  i think megadeth crushes mettalica into ribbons
                  +1.

I never liked Metallica (although I tried), but liked a few Megadeth songs here and there.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

ok I'll play along....

Metallica's first album was great, the intensity of punk rock with better guitar playing. RTL was more metal and equally awesome. MOP is one of the finest metal albums ever produced(maybe a little to polished sounding, but that's where they were going. until....RIP Cliff). AJFA was still enjoyable and somewhat more frantic, black sucked.

KIMB a masterpiece, PS a masterpiece, a couple of not so good albums, RIP fucking awesome, CTE not as good, Risk - I didn't get it?! I've bought the other albums, but they really don't stand out compared to the other material IMHO.

+1 for Maiden
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I was like 13 when Kill Em All came out and became a die hard Metallica fan along with two other kids in my high school. RTL and MOP and AJFA were fantastic records too.

While I knew of the Mustaine/Megadeth connection, I never really vibed with my copy of Killing is My Business...... It was later on with So Far So Good So What and Youthansia and Cryptic Writings, etc. that I really began appreciating Megadeth.

I still listen to both now but like the guitar work and tone better in Megadeth.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

MoP is the only metallica album I like. I don't like any megadeth albums but I respect them more. I grew up in a black sabbath, ozzy, and dio house tho. They blow both away imo.
                        I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Im a late comer to the Megadeth camp as well. I started off on Metallica, was in 8th grade when Load came out to be exact. I really loved all of Metallica's stuff until Load... They were good albums by themselves, but they werent good Metallica albums. St Wanker and anything else afterwards totally killed Metallica for me, and I havent paid money to see them or listen to their music ever since.

Ah, Megadeth. Always knew they existed, knew a few of the hit songs, but it wasnt until for some reason I bought The System Has Failed when it came out, listened to that album for a few months, and its been history ever since. To me, Megadeth just has so much more to offer, more material, more band member rotations which IMO adds different feelings to their songs per member. Sure, RISK is pretty crappy, but almost every band has one crappy song. End Game was just a fucking SICK album... what was the last time Metallica put out something even half the caliber of End Game? Justice.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I was heavily in to Metallica from the time a friend loaned me a cassette of the "No Life Till Leather" demos (with Dave's leads IIRC), until Cliff died. I was scared for AJFA and hated it when I initially heard it. It's grown on me over the years and I can appreciate it now. Everything after hasn't done much for me.

I didn't get into Megadeth much until the last 5 years or so, had a hard time getting past Dave's vocals. I finally heard Hangar 18 when I bought the "Capitol Punishment" compilation on a whim to kind of give them a chance. I had to check out their other stuff after that. I can appreciate the music a little more now but the bands golden age for me was definitely the Marty Era. I do like Chris Broderick though.

Neither band was my favorite though and much like Rush vs. Pink Floyd I don't believe you can only like one or the other...
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

countdown to extinction i thought had some real nice guitar playing on it.
                              lightning laced slippery tasty licks in the solos on many of those tunes.
                              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                              X