Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was anyone else strictly a metallica, or megadeth guy growing up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like megadeth's riffage. Fuckin tastey ass licks.

I would prob be a better guitarist today had I grown up on megadeth. Metallica's shit was cool to learn on, but when I try to learn megadeth songs it feels trickier/more awkward to play. Their guitar work puts the 'Tallicats to shame.

Comment

not to mention mustaine can solo without having to hide his sloppy technique with wah

Comment

And Dave's not even the lead player
        "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Nothing touches Hetfield in his prime (86-89), but Marty Friedman was arguably the most memorable and talented lead player in thrash, and Mustaine had some great moments. In any case, current Megadeth is still good, even though a shadow of what was, while current Metallica is just laughable. I'd say the time for Lars to hang up his spandex is long past.
          I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I mostly agree with you on that. But I say Alex Skolnick was the best thrash lead player, only because I don't consider Marty thrash at all.
            "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

Some of us old folks that were around at the beginning of Metallica and Megadeth have room for both of them. I bought Kill Em All when it was released based solely on the album cover at a record store on vinyl...yes kiddies a RECORD STORE! It was badass for 1983!! Didn't catch them live till 1984 for Ride The Lightning. When Megadeth arrived in '85 I jumped right in. You've got to remember, there wasn't much thrash type metal available, so I wanted all I could get! Didn't get a chance to see them til '86 for Peace Sells. Exodus, Slayer, Testament...all followed.

If I have to give an edge it would be to Deth since I can still listen to albums later in their catalog. I kinda gave up on Tallica after the Black Album. Saw both numerous times...too many to count from '84 to '93, and have enjoyed them both.
              My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Early Metallica and Anthrax for me. Mixed with Exodus and Testament...

Also was a big fan on Iron Maiden too (up to Seventh Son).

Damn guys, thinking about this makes me wonder where have all those years gone... :think:
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Scarn View Post
                  I like megadeth's riffage. Fuckin tastey ass licks.

I would prob be a better guitarist today had I grown up on megadeth. Metallica's shit was cool to learn on, but when I try to learn megadeth songs it feels trickier/more awkward to play. Their guitar work puts the 'Tallicats to shame.
                  Same here man, and it really bothers me. Back when I had time to learn songs, I learned Metallica stuff cause thats all I really knew of... had I learned Megadeth songs in place of those, Id probably be twice the player I am today.
                  Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

I was listening to Megadeth first. I had So Far, So Good, So What, and played the shit out of it. One day I overheard some people talking about this Metallica band. When I first heard them, I wasn't an immediate fan. I didn't really like James' voice at all. I grew to enjoy Metallica, but they lost me after the Black Album. Unfortunately after Youthanasia, Megadeth kinda lost it too. They've had some good songs, but no good albums IMO.

Nothing will ever beat Rust in Peace for me. It's like Beethoven's Ninth.
                    Last edited by zeegler; 10-13-2011, 09:22 PM.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Metallica: KIA through the black album, everything else went to hell in a FedEx truck.
                      Megadeth: KIMB through CTE.
                      They both tried for radio play in the mid 90's, but Metallica won that game, and still continues. Megadeth has always had a harder edge to their music to me.
                      But there are other incredible groups from then too. Testament, Anthrax, Slayer, Exodus, Death, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Dio, plus another handfull of others that don't have as much edge. This list could go on and on. I would not focus on just two, when there were a whole bunch of other shredders from then that have influenced me just as much.
                      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

No..I grew up with Black Sabbath, BOC, Frank Marino, Kiss..Then VH came out and that was it. This is at a time I screwed everything and anything that move..or didn't move. I fucked a Honeydeww Melon..that's fuggin' metal!!!

From 1978 - 1984, I was extremely high every single fuggin' day....and it was good!

I actually hated metallica and megadeth when they came out. They sounded like complete shit to me. These are facts! In my search to become the best player I could I discovered King Crimson, and the Brothers Johnson. Bless Cliff Burton but I always thought he sucked. That solo he did blew chunks in mine and friends opinion. Metallica should have got Les Claypool on bass. Then maybe I would have worshipped them. I worshipped Savatage, Alcatraz, Steeler, Yngwie, Gary Moore, Loudness, Ratt, Dokken, Ozzy, UFO, MSG, The Scorpions, Rainbow.ect.. The very ones that inspired both these bands as well. I didn't think anything they did was amazing..to be honest.

I loved King Diamond and Merciful Fate but couldn't stand his voice, and I hated ALL death metal, and cookie monster vocals.

As far as thrash, only Testament impressed me at that time.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

YEESH..How could I NOT mention Iron Maiden's Killers..holy shit I loved that 8 track/record..but I did say ..ect.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            YEESH..How could I NOT mention Iron Maiden's Killers..holy shit I loved that 8 track/record..but I did say ..ect.
                            I lost more brain cells to Maiden's Killers and Sabbath's Mob Rules. I still have those cassettes laying around somewhere. They smell kinda funny, even after all these years.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                              I lost more brain cells to Maiden's Killers and Sabbath's Mob Rules. I still have those cassettes laying around somewhere. They smell kinda funny, even after all these years.
                              Hell Yeah!!!

Judas Priest.."Unleashed in the East"..ohhhhh fuck my ass. Metallica or Megadeth..NEVER...NEVER...made me feel like that!!!

fuggums..

Comment

strictly Megadeth guy growing up. Couldn't stand Metallica. Had nothing to do with any bitchiness between the bands or being in either band's "camp", I just didn't like Metallica's music. At the time I never considered it an either/or situation. Some bands you like, some bands you don't. Megadeth I liked, Metallica I don't.

Which makes me wonder - how come we never see any "which camp are you in: Metallica or Y&T" threads? They too are different bands, one of which I like, the other I don't. Or is it because they play different genres? In which case, why don't we see Kreator vs. Exodus threads? These bands seem able to coexist in people's music collections without an imperitave to commit to one over the other. I guess it appeals to some primal tribalistic urge, the same one that makes people fight over Ford vs. Chevy. Like it matters
                                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                                X