I think I may just simply hate American TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I may just simply hate American TV

I was curious what kind of shows people on here grew up on and what shows they were really into now.

What's is your entertainment preference, comedy drama etc? What kinds of stuff did you like as a kid versus what do you enjoy now?

So I remember when I was growing up it was The Monkees, and Banana Splits. Then I got exposed to The Tomorrow People, Benny Hill (my parents never really stopped me from watching anything) John Byner Bizarre, etc. On the subject of not being blocked from watching anything, I remember when I was around 10 I watched a movie called Lipstick and Waiting for Mr. Goodbar with my mom, and every horror flick out.

Then in the 80's it happen. Red Dwarf, Blakes 7, Black Adder, more recently Mighty Boosh, the I T Crowd, and Never mind The Buzzcock (which is kind of odd that's I'd enjoy since it's all based around pop music I fucking hate)

What the hell man!?!? How unpatriotic.. lol I think out of all of the Might Boosh is now my favorite. There's a lot of American tv I like, but I find myself laughing more at English humor then American humor.

I don't even think I'd watch Deadliest warrior if a friend of mine didn't work on that show.
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Speaking as a Brit who came to America four years ago...
    The biggest problem with American TV is there's so much of it, it's hard to find the good stuff. I don't watch a lot, but my personal favourites are House, American Dad, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy. I was addicted to That 70s Show for quite a while too.
    The UK imports a lot of good American TV. I remember shows such as NY PD Blue, Six Feet Under, House, The Sopranos, 24, etc etc. As a kid, Hill Street Blues was probably my favourite show.
    As far as UK comedy goes, personally, I didn't get The Mighty Boosh, and I only saw one episode of the IT Crowd, but hated it with a passion. If you're into UK comedy, check out Spaced, The Inbetweeners and Alan Partridge. Also, if you can get hold of it, A Little Bit Of Fry And Laurie seasons 1 and 2 are great.
    My other signature says something funny

Comment

In Australia the ABC (aussie equivalent of BBC, paid or by tax payers, run by government but totally autonomous) plays alot of british comedy, love the IT Crowd its fantastic, checkout The Goodies was a huge hit in Australia, pretty much every kid grew up watching it until it stopped getting air time.
      USA Jackson RR1
      Charvel Model 6
      Jackson Performer-2
      Orange Dark Terror
      EVH 5150 LBX
      Hello Senòr

Comment

The Young Ones was the shit too.

Comment

Did Father Ted make it to the colonies? I feckin' love that show!

Comment

Yeah, that was great. And going back a bit, Fawlty Towers - though some of this stuff doesn't seem to age so well.
            My other signature says something funny

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
              One of my favorites from my teenage years, when MTV didn't suck.
              I also enjoyed (all) Monty Python a lot too. Benny Hill and the Monkees were on here too.
              There were a lot of good shows from the 60's, 70's and early 80's I liked, from here and there. I enjoyed the 'comedy' shows then too, Laugh In, Dean Martin variety hour, and Carol Burnettes shows were funny start to finish.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

NHL, NFL, MLB and College football are what I watch. I do like a lot of teh HBO original series
                shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                  Yep!
                  My son watches a fair amount of british comedy shows on youtube. He loves 8 out of 10 cats, and a few others.
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The Beverly Hillbillies
                    Sanford and Son
                    Andy Griffith show
                    Its always sunny in philidelphia
                    South Park
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Barney miller, and taxi.
                      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I don't do much television.
                        I do watch House, Big Bang Theory and NCIS and that's about it.
                        There's times when I don't even watch them.

I just basically what I'm doing at the time.
                        If nothing, I'll do alittle TV.
                        Otherwise, I prefer to watch movies then TV shows.

Reality TV shows ruined and has consumed much of Television.
                        Reality TV isn't my thing, not into it.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

As a child - Batman
                          Planet of the Apes series
                          Night Stalker
                          late night classic horror movies

I didn't watch much TV in the nineties. "Discovered" X files on DVD at the library recently!

I liked Just Shoot Me alot.

The best current stuff all seems to be on cable, which I don't have. So its back to the library to check out boxed sets of Dexter, The Shield, The Wire, Walking Dead, etc. I'm on a 1-2 year delay!

Oh, and Squidbillies!

Comment

don't like it? get the fuck out

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
                              Barney miller, and taxi.
                              barney was classic stuff. I always got a big kick out of Nick Yemana. he was hilarious, dry humor. the episode when he arrested the prostitute on christmas eve was hilarious.

I used to really get a kick out of the inspector. he was frickin classic. when he used to bore Barney remeniscing about the good ol' days on patrol with his partner, Brownie. "ah he's a veg now, Barn, in the nursing home". the way he said it was hilarious.
                              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                              X