I think I may just simply hate American TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
    As far as UK comedy goes, personally, I didn't get The Mighty Boosh, and I only saw one episode of the IT Crowd, but hated it with a passion. If you're into UK comedy, check out Spaced, The Inbetweeners and Alan Partridge. Also, if you can get hold of it, A Little Bit Of Fry And Laurie seasons 1 and 2 are great.
    The Inbetweeners is right up my Strasse, it's fucking hilarious - puerile, immature, vulgar - all the things I laugh at.

My tip is to try "The League of Gentlemen", but make sure you watch it from the start, it's not the kind of thing you can just dip into. Even now, when I watch that show, I see something new that I hadn't noticed before which makes me howl, even during the intro credits. It really is clever stuff, very dark, and sometimes near the knuckle too. I swear, when Mr Chinnery the vet, tried to treat a tortoise by oxygenating its blood with compressed air, I nearly shat myself laughing:
    The hilarious accident prone vet, Mr Chinnery attempts to cure a sick tortoise. Another crazy impression from sketch kings of BBC comedy, The League of Gentl...

Also by the same people is "Psychoville".

Finally, one that was very under-rated IMHO, was "Nighty Night".

If you don't find any of them worth watching, I'm sorry, you must be dead. Or a cunt. Or both.
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Nighty Night was superb, I agree. Never really got into The League Of Gentlemen, but then again, I didn't watch it from the beginning.
      My other signature says something funny

Comment

There's a show I caught only a little part of - it's main character (I think) was supposed to be some sort of horror fiction writer who was acting in a show based on his writing- and it took place in a hospital. I know Richard Ayoade was in it at least in what I saw as was uh... Matt Berry(?) It was kind of strange and the acting was over the top bad (and meant to be that way for laughs)

I forgot about the Young Ones, but it's been a real long time since I'd seen any of those. I always think of Drop Dead Fred when I hear Young Ones. What was the metal band that was made up of members of The Young Ones? I know they had a video out, I don't know if it was part of a show or they did and actual album
        In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Bad News - there was a one-off comedy episode with them.
          My other signature says something funny

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff View Post
            Bad News - there was a one-off comedy episode with them.
            There were 2. First was "Bad News Tour" then "More Bad News" which featured their Donington appearance. I have never seen so much mud, bottles of piss, cans, everything thrown at one stage in my life! They also did an LP or two, which do have some, ahem, classics on.

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
              There's a show I caught only a little part of - it's main character (I think) was supposed to be some sort of horror fiction writer who was acting in a show based on his writing- and it took place in a hospital. I know Richard Ayoade was in it at least in what I saw as was uh... Matt Berry(?) It was kind of strange and the acting was over the top bad (and meant to be that way for laughs)
              Garth Marenghi's Darkplace
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                There were 2. First was "Bad News Tour" then "More Bad News" which featured their Donington appearance. I have never seen so much mud, bottles of piss, cans, everything thrown at one stage in my life! They also did an LP or two, which do have some, ahem, classics on.
                You may notice Vim Fuego plays a Charvel

Hail yesterday

Comment

You need to watch the latest documentary series "Frozen Planet" , fronted by Sir David Attenborough, on a massive HD telly. I've only watched the first episode and have nearly cum in my pants.
                  It's a perfect example of why the taxpayer-funded BBC is the very best program maker in the world (despite the other shite it spews out at times). The filming techniques are breath-taking, who needs CGI when you can see this stuff?

I nearly broke her back

Comment

BBC and British television in general was absolutely the best, extremely groundbreaking and even avant-garde at the time. Very modernist and educational. Brits did to TV what the French and Italians did to cinema.
                    Attenboroguh and BBC Natural History Unit of course are unbeatable in nature programs.

That being said I think The Mighty Boosh is shit.
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

The Young Ones was the shit too
                      fuck yeah!!!! funniest show to ever hit the airwaves back in the mid eighties
                      it was mandatory viewing every sunday night at the house i shared with 6 other stoners

right now just watch sons of anarchy and walking dead ... everything just kills my blues rock chatter
                      Last edited by len; 10-27-2011, 05:33 PM.
                      “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

"It's all about the poon...in subtext and context!"

Kim Kardashian

She didn't say that because she's much too stupid to think that. Her job is to STFU and keep that ass nice! Too bad she can't STFU. But I say that about most woman. I love them, respect..but I can't take them seriously. I can bench more than all of them..and I don't even work out. I just eat and play with myself and my guitar....and I love it!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                        X