Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help choosing a scope for an ar 15 rifle

Hey,

I have a flat top AR15 16" carbine rifle and I've been looking for a cheap scope to put on it. I'm considering just a fixed 4x scope, but I'll consider other power scopes if they fit my criteria.

Here's some things I want:

*compact size. less than 9" long if possible

*easy to zero and stay zeroed

*could hit targets up to 250 yards away

*cost under $70 if possible

I know my price range is low as hell, but I figured with a fixed powered scope theres not as many parts that can screw up and I could probably get away with it cheaper.

Some brands I'm looking at are leapers, barska, nc star, bsa. I know these are brands that people bash, but I've seen some decent reviews on a lot of their products.

Anyone want to recommend a scope?
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Not much help to you, but I wouldn't use a scope on a 16". A 2x red dot however....
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I've had a Barska ONCE, it was replaced under warranty twice.....It was mounted on my 5R yes the recoil from a .308 in a 10lb gun still wrecked 2 of them. Now its only Bushnell Elite or Night Force. Leapers and BSA are hit and miss...you take your chances.
      I'm a range officer at my gun club, and I've sighted in a few guns for our members with Sightron scopes on them, reasonable in price, and it seems to be a good scope.
      My choice for an AR would be an EOtech especially for a carbine. Your AR is a .223 so recoil isn't an issue for most scopes. See what you can dig up used at some gun shows, or at your local gun store.
      Through my experience with scopes, you get what you pay for.
      We will know for the first time...
      If we are evil or divine...
      We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

Originally posted by The Poolman View Post
        My choice for an AR would be an EOtech especially for a carbine.
        That's what I use, absolutely awesome. Takes a minute to get used to if you're not familiar with HWS, but great all around and quick acquisition can be the difference.....

SLIGHTLY out of your price range, but absolutely worth it.
        Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Save your money and get an eotech.
          Why hunt ... when there is no machine gun season?

Comment

I've always wanted an ACOG site for mine but unfortunately that scope is several multiples of the $70 you mentioned.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by riffraff View Post
              Save your money and get an eotech.
              ????

Welcome to LA Police Gear, your online tactical store for all your Tactical Gear needs. We have police equipment, tactical gear, and more for everyone, so shop today!
              Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Sorry I haven't been on in a while...

I decided to try a $40 4x20 leapers scope. Most of the reviews I read were positive. Anyway it was a piece of shit! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a 4x scope was supposed to look four times closer. I had a target at 100 yards and it looked the same through the scope as my naked eye. Another thing that sucked was that the crosshairs were too thick to see anything. I should have listened too you guys, but I guess I'm just stubborn.

I'm raising my budget and heres a couple of scopes I'm looking at:

Bushnell trophy xlt 3-9x40 - on sale at cabelas for $109 with a $30 rebate

Firefield 2.5-10x40 - Don't know much about this brand, but most of the reviews are good. comes with a built in red laser. seen it for around $80

Primary arms 3-9x40 - on their site for $80

What do you guys think about these? Are any of these worth it? I don't really want a red dot, because I don't want to rely on batteries.

Comment

The first question I should have asked is "what are your expectations for the scope, and what distances are you going to spend most of your time shooting at"
                  I've see a few guys buy those AR's for long range and go from cheap scope to cheap scope only to be disappointed, and shooting is supposed to be fun.
                  I used my AR carbine for 3 gun matches, TSSA shooting and close competition. I used an EOTech.
                  So....what do you want the gun to realistically do? Shooting one of those at 250 yards takes a lot of patience and practice (which means you get to blow off a lot of ammo, and that is always a good thing).
                  Truthfully I would shoot with the iron sights for a while, and save your money for a high quality scope, this is something you will not regret.

Check our AR15.com full of good information.
                  Last edited by The Poolman; 11-03-2011, 09:41 PM.
                  We will know for the first time...
                  If we are evil or divine...
                  We are the last in line...RJD RIP

Comment

I kind of want an all around scope that could shoot from, let's say, 0-300 yards. I've checked an ar15.com thread and one guy said he bought a primary arms 1-4x scope. He said at 1x he was able to use both eyes open like a red dot and he set from 2-4x for longer ranges. To me, that's kind of my ideal scope.

I think I'm going to save up for either that primary arms scope or another 1-4x like a nikon m223, burris or something else in the low $200's. What do you guys think?

Also has anyone had experience with primary arms? I've been hearing lots of good things from them, and that's people who own high end scopes like trijicon, leupold and nightforce.

Comment

I have a brand new in the case eotech 512 A65. Bought two and sold one gun. $350 shipped if you go that route

Comment

Could you see my peehole from 100 yards..I dare you to shoot it!
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Eotech, aimpoint, acog...

Anything you would buy for under $80 is most likely a chinese knockoff of a real product, but designed for airsoft.

And with optics, you really get what you pay for...
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                            Could you see my peehole from 100 yards..I dare you to shoot it!
                            Even if he's a bit off that could hurt Bill! Better hide your peehole
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

This is what I put on my Mini-14 and I've been very pleased with it. http://www.nikonhunting.com/products...C_RETICLE/6722

I found this series interesting also for a budget 223/556 scope, but passed on it.
                              This website is for sale! nikonhunting.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, nikonhunting.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

When I finally break down and purchase an AR, it will have this and probably a magnifier on it. I'd love to have an ACOG, but Trijicon is out of my price range.

Comment

Working...
                              X