Need a new water heater. Any advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new water heater. Any advise?

The one in the house is just over 6 years old, and the warranty was for 6 years. So I'm F'd.

The trouble is the blower motor has thrown a bearing and it's noisey as hell.

The motor may be $500, a new heater about $1500.

Any advise for not getting screwed and finding an honest contractor?

Nice timing too.

If you put a new one in, shoot for installing an efficient one this year that will qualify you for that 2011 $300 tax credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index

Comment

Get a new one. I had an old heater that I spent a ton of money on, then It had to be replaced anyway. I hate it when that kind of thing happens, because I was planning on spending that money on a new guitar, but of course family comes first yada yada yada.
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Shouldn't be $1500. I put a 50 gallon electric in for my neighbor last fall for $380 from Lowes. Not hard to do, just bulky as hell. Getting rid of the bad one could be an issue, unless your trash pickup will take it. Gas fired isn't that bad either, just remember to shut off all the valves going to it, turn off the breaker to it, and close the water inlet. Get a hose hooked to the pop off valve and drain it befor you try to move it or you'll have no back left. Then lie to wife about how much it was, how hard it was, and buy another axe for the collection

Edit: If you DIY, make sure you fill the new one up before you turn it on (keeps from burning up the new heating elements)
        Last edited by Scooter; 11-24-2011, 01:41 PM.
        "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
          Shouldn't be $1500. I put a 50 gallon electric in for my neighbor last fall for $380 from Lowes. Not hard to do, just bulky as hell. Getting rid of the bad one could be an issue, unless your trash pickup will take it. Gas fired isn't that bad either, just remember to shut off all the valves going to it, turn off the breaker to it, and close the water inlet. Get a hose hooked to the pop off valve and drain it befor you try to move it or you'll have no back left. Then lie to wife about how much it was, how hard it was, and buy another axe for the collection

Edit: If you DIY, make sure you fill the new one up before you turn it on (keeps from burning up the new heating elements)
          Electric is WAY cheaper than the one I need. Even regular gas is cheaper. Mine is forced air, so not only is it the most expensive, these POS's only come with a 6 year warranty. Wouldn't you think the most expensive one would last the longest? Mine died 5 months after the 6 year warranty. It's almost like they put a timer in to fail right after the warranty is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            If you put a new one in, shoot for installing an efficient one this year that will qualify you for that 2011 $300 tax credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...edits.tx_index
            I'll try but it doesn't look good. On that site it say only commercial tank units are efficient enough to qualify.

Do you guys have any suggestions on finding a good contractor? I'm tempted to go to Sears. I'm really lost. My house is that damn plastic plumbing, so I don't really want to mess with it.

Comment

I am a plumbing contractor up here so I must ask you. Is your power assisted model gas? What kind/ size dwelling are we talking about here?

What kind of plastic pipe are we talking about here? Any stamping on the pipes that could help us?

Can you shoot some pics of the tank and water supply entering the tank?

These days Home Depot sells a brand of fittings and valves known as Sharkbites that work with pretty much all plastic (except Kitec brand!) as well as copper. Just cut and slip on!

Makes for super easy DIY plumbing too....

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/

Comment

Above all do NOT go with Sears! They sub out pretty much all of their work and many times do not even send a qualified plumber. Ask friends and family for a solid reference.

A union plumber may be a few bucks more but trust me when I tell you that it is money well spent.

I have seen some terrible jobs performed by the workers from say Lowes, Home Depot and above all Sears!

Comment

I replaced my water heater about 10 years ago and did the installation myself. I wanted to put it close to an exterior wall, but had to leave it near the chimney. Does the blower motor exhaust carbon monoxide through an exterior wall? I noticed units that had a blower motor were a lot more expensive than the type that allows CO to exhaust into the chimney. Also, if you're willing to light the burner manually instead of having an electric start burner you can save money on this feature, too. It only took about an hour to install the tank. It wasn't a difficult job. I might buy a tankless set up next time around.

Comment

Ya water tank installations are probably one of the easiest DIY plumbing jobs out there....

Comment

Tankless is the way to go, if you have gas. Never run out of hot water and you are not heating a tank full of water. Put one in when I bulit the house and its still rocking after 9 years.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                        I am a plumbing contractor up here so I must ask you. Is your power assisted model gas? What kind/ size dwelling are we talking about here?

What kind of plastic pipe are we talking about here? Any stamping on the pipes that could help us?

Can you shoot some pics of the tank and water supply entering the tank?

These days Home Depot sells a brand of fittings and valves known as Sharkbites that work with pretty much all plastic (except Kitec brand!) as well as copper. Just cut and slip on!

Makes for super easy DIY plumbing too....

http://www.sharkbite.com/usa/
                        Natural Gas. Single family home, 3,000 sq ft + basement, 5 people.

Thanks for the Sears tip, although they seem to be easier to deal with (financing, big name...)

The current water heater is a Bradford White. One contractor has Rheem and A.O. Smith. I've heard bad about Rheem.

What brand do you recommend, and who / where would you buy it from?

Here are some pics. The first is of the blower/fan with the shot bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunner View Post
                          Tankless is the way to go, if you have gas. Never run out of hot water and you are not heating a tank full of water. Put one in when I bulit the house and its still rocking after 9 years.
                          I see you are in Dallas. Do you even need to heat your water?

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                            I replaced my water heater about 10 years ago and did the installation myself. I wanted to put it close to an exterior wall, but had to leave it near the chimney. Does the blower motor exhaust carbon monoxide through an exterior wall? I noticed units that had a blower motor were a lot more expensive than the type that allows CO to exhaust into the chimney. Also, if you're willing to light the burner manually instead of having an electric start burner you can save money on this feature, too. It only took about an hour to install the tank. It wasn't a difficult job. I might buy a tankless set up next time around.
                            Yes, the powered blower lets you duct an exhaust out the side. Some as far as 120' away.

The issues I'm finding:

Water Heaters with these blowers cost MORE.
                            These water heaters never seem to come with a warranty longer than 6 years.
                            One more thing to break.
                            More noise.

I'm starting to wish I had a traditional gas or an electric water heater.

Comment

Sorry Don, I'm unfamiliar with that type.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X