22 vs. 24 frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 vs. 24 frets

Is it strange that I prefer 22 fret guitars? Sometimes I even run into the 2 note limitation, yet still not enough to sway me. Just pull the whammy up and BOOM 24+ frets!

Granted, I have 24 fret guitars, and don't mind them, but somehow I end up getting lost in the 2nd octave. I guess when I do look, I look at relation to the last fret and not 12th.

I'd love a 22 fret Dinky. I'd love an RR24/M with 22 frets.

Anybody else share the same desire as myself?

I know there are many folks on here with vintage Jackson/Charvels, specifically Strats, who don't seem to mind 22 fret guitars. The heels keep me from playing one, though I do quite enjoy them from the outside looking in.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

When I am lookin gat the neck my brain is working from the 12th fret up, not the end of the fingerboard down so it makes no difference to me. I rarely play past the 19th fret but occasionally use the 22nd when playing an A Blues scale so I definitely want a minimum of 22, but 22/24 makes no real difference.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I don't notice myself looking from the last fret backwards, just a hunch I have since I have issue from time to time on a 24.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

I have used them and have felt the need for them even 25 yrs ago.... I would actually use my nail to fret a high note on the pickups when needed... D

Comment

Always prefer 24's. 22 is no issue but I do use the full double & then some.

Comment

I remember when I got my first 24 fretter, I always gravitated towards the 23/24 frets for leads. Eventually that faded, and now if a guitar has 22 or 24 frets doesn't really sway me in one direction or the other. The 24 would be a bonus, but if I loved a guitar that had 22 frets, it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Comment

I own both and have no problem with or preference for either. I like the having two whole octaves but I grew up on 22's so I like them too.

Comment

22 or 24 makes no real difference to me. I seldom venture past 20, I do have a couple of leads that I do that my hand gets a little crowded up top though. That's the one advantage to 24 frets that I can see.
                Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

It really depends on what the guitar is. I love 24 frets, but I also love my Strat, and wouldn't want a Strat with 24 frets. Same with my Les Paul. Those guitars IMO just shouldn't have 24 frets.
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I only do open-E chugging, with the odd "Whole Lotta Rosie" type use of two frets, so I don't give a toss.

So long as it's a nice colour.
                      So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

these days i am really more of a fender player than anything. 21-22 frets are what i am the most comfortable with even though i have many 24 fret guitars.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I can play either fine, but I can now admit I'm pretty much in love with the Jackson strat neck backshape and now like it better than a speed neck.

I've also changed preference of pickups as well. I like the mellower J50BC in my guitar over stock SD's or EMGs... And I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

I have to work harder to make it sound as good, so it's good for practice.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I like to have 24, I dont like doing huge bends to reach the higher notes as a)it never sounds quite right and b)strings break.
                            But I have Les Pauls, RR5, Hamer, all 22 frets. I would like them better, playability-wise, as 24 fret guitars. However, the neck tone on a 22 fret guitar is awesome, while on a 24 fret guitar it just sucks.
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I prefer 24 frets, though I have guitars with 22 that I like. I will not own a 21-fret guitar though; to me they're incomplete. You can have all those vintage Strats and 21-fret San Dimas guitars; they do nothing for me.
                              Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X