New to the Forum...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum...

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, but not to guitar forums. I have a few Kramers and Gibsons and Washburns, but no Charvels or Jacksons. I actually had an EVH Art Series Black & Yellow, but had to sell it to pay some bills a few years back. I've been educating myself here for awhile, liked what I read and decided to join. Seems like a pretty cool forum. I'm thinking of buying a So Cal, and went to my local Sam Ash store today and tried one out. I really liked the MIJ neck, and loved the DiMarzio's, which is a nice change of pace from the SD JB & Jazz combo that I already have in a couple of my Kramers. The one I played today was the Snow White color which I really liked. It seems like the membership here is split 50-50 on the discontinued USA models and the new MIJ models. I haven't had the chance to play the USA model as of yet. What are the biggest differences between the two? Thanks.

Hiya JoeyM, welcome aboard!!!!

Sorry I can't help ya with your charvel questions I've only owned 1(ever) a model 6...... Now Jackson's I've got a lot to say about, anyway welcome....
    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

some say the mij ones are better. From playing them both the mij necks are a little flatter more D shaped and the usa ones a more C shaped. You can't go wrong with either.

Comment

I owned two of the USAs (black and red one). Had to sell them to pay some bills. Both sounded great, but the red one had sharp fret ends. Necks were nice on both and fit and finish was great. Only problem I had was with the Korean OFRs. They play fine but the arm housing broke on both. I had to get new arm housings/bushings from Stewmac. And on one, the allen screw holding down the saddle stripped. Actually, the base plate hole stripped. Very frustrating but other than the trem, everything seemed to be fine. Then when they moved to Japan, I bought a black one and white one. So far, one of the arm housings/bushings has cracked. Still works but frustrating. I've given up on the Korean Floyds. I will buy new OFRs when I get the money, but these are holding up okay so far.

Now about the necks. The rolled fretboard edges and the overall feel of the Japan necks does seem better than the USAs. I haven't compared side by side but what I remember is that the USA necks did not have that broken in feel and the Japan ones do. The Japan ones seem smoother and easier to play. Also, impeccable fret work.

I also like the chrome hardware and direct mount pups. The Japan ones look more retro and more hot-rodded, while the USA ones look more modern, so it really depends on what you go for aesthetically.

Overall, between the two, I prefer the Japan ones, though I think both have their strong and weak points.
        My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

Hey
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the input! (although I didn't listen to it)

I ended up finding a NOS USA So Cal in Candy Green so I ordered it. Should be here Tuesday or Wednesday, pics to follow.
              Last edited by JoeyM; 12-03-2011, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Welcome! There were a few threads on this--especially the way the fret edges were rolled. You should search the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
                  Welcome! There were a few threads on this--especially the way the fret edges were rolled. You should search the site.
                  Thanks TR, I did read a lot of the threads about the fret problem on the USA's. But I decided to take a chance, mostly because I really like the Candy Green. Hopefully I get one of the good ones, but if I have to file the fret edges a bit...

Comment

Hey Joey. LOL welcome.

I almost bought a USA promod a couple of years ago but went with a Jap Jackson instead. I've always been a big believer in japanese quality since my first model series Charvels, and the Jackson was the closest to that I could find. I'm sure the US Charvels were good, hope yours is too, but some of the reviews made me think twice about buying. And at the time, they were going for a grand.

I recently bought a Jap Promod and have been loving it. The neck is a little thicker than the model series that's my benchmark, but it;s very comfortable and plays exceptionally well. Love it. Again, welcome.

Comment

Well I got the USA So Cal today and it was damn near perfect. The first thing I always check is the fret ends and these were good except for the first fret on the treble side was a little sharp so I filed it down. Everything else was fine. But I have to say there really isn't much difference IMO between these and the imports playing wise or feel wise. I'll post some pics later.

Comment

so did you go with the candy green? every since I saw one in that color i wanted one

Comment

Originally posted by wearevenom2 View Post
                          so did you go with the candy green? every since I saw one in that color i wanted one
                          Yup, got the Candy Green...and put a German made OFR on it.

Last edited by JoeyM; 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Man there goes the neighborhood. Welcome to the forum Joe. Did you ever get that wireless pacer up and playing?
                            Haters gonna hate
                            Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

Now that is sexy I need to get me one of those

Comment

Working...
                              X