Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for Guitar Shops and Music Venues in Sydney?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Guitar Shops and Music Venues in Sydney?

G'day Mates... Down under for the holidays, any suggestions for cool guitar shops and music bars/clubs? Up in Cairns/ Port Douglas to check out the Great Barrier Reef until Tuesday, then down to Sydney til New Years Day. Wife has our itinerary planned down to the minute, but I'd love to check out any cool shops/clubs, appreciate any suggestions/tips...

Hey Brian,

We did the Cairns -> Sydney vacation a few years ago. If you're with your kids, definitely check out Featherdale Wildlife Park (close to Sydney).

As for more adult entertainment, the "main drag" of Sydney (that leads to the Circular Quay at the end) had a bunch of bars on it, but I don't think that any of them were big enough to have live music.

An Aussie will probably chime in soon with more help.

In any case, have a good time!
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Ex tropical cyclone Gina is in the Coral Sea ATM so if you have`nt been to the reef already have a think about how much you like being on a boat full of sick people...
      I have`nt been to Cairns for a while but last time I was there Johnnos` Blues Bar was a good place to stay away from...
      Actually, you have to make your own fun in Nth Qld... The locals are great though, really laid back.

Whenever I`m in Sydney I always end up in Kings Cross at night.

I can`t help any with guitar shops.

Comment

Thanks Guys. FYI saw a store called Guitars Music City in Cairns last night, was closed but they're an authorized Martin dealer and looked like they had decent inventory, old school.

Snorkelled at the Great Barrier Reef yesterday, weather was perfect, seas were calm as glass, absolutely beautiful.

Flying down to Sydney today. Will check around with locals on worthy guitar shops.

Btw, came across my first "Hungry Jacks", which is what "Burger King" is called in Oz, menu is 90% the same including "The Whopper."

Comment

Sydneys parramatta road has some great shops, as does king st newtown. The one I hit up is billy hydes camperdown store, but theres a big 'allens music' store in the cbd. They recently merged. Jackson's Rare Guitars has alot of boring old stuff with insane prices on it, and they used to? keep the doors locked. Owner is a total douche. YMMV. Newtown is a very eccentric place not far from the city that has alot of bands and music stores, and is where I tend to gravitate when down there. Pete's always has some cool stuff to check out. Top bloke, good prices etc.

Glad to see you found burger jacks, try our KFC tower burger. Its total artery clogging goodness!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Bibz. Didn't have time to check out Newtown, will be sure to go next time (hopefully soon). Absolutely love Sydney, it's now 1 of my top 2 favorite cities in the world (along with San Francisco). In one day took my kids to see Koalas and Kangaroos at Taronga Zoo, went surfing at Bondi Beach, then BBQ at a friend's home in Paddington.

Sandman, I was curious to see Kings Cross on Friday night, on the way back to our hotel decided to drive through with my wife and young kids in the car, was completely unprepared for the questions my 9 year old son asked as we suddenly found ourselves in the red light district!

Comment

Working...
            X