Your Favorite Metal Moment??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Metal Moment??

OK, Most of us have had a chance to meet our Metal/Guitar Heroes at one time/place or another.....and I'd like to hear what your *Favorite* close encounter was like.

I'll go first!

In the early 2000's (might even have been 1999) at NAMM.

Dimebag Darrell at the Randall booth. With a guitar in hand, noodling away at very low volume, the dude was just hanging out talking with anyone who wanted to. Totally laid back and informal....no 'signing' table with security, no bodyguards or staff watching everything. It was wierd, he wasn't even drawing much attention...maybe because it was Thursday.

I was standing about 10 feet away just listening to him play and catching some of the conversation....then I see him wink and nod to someone near the amp stacks nearby.

All of the sudden THE VOLUME IS ON 11 !!!!!! and Dime, head back, eyes closed and mouth OPEN, just RIPPING thru just about every famous/memorable lead that he ever played on a Pantera record....I mean EARSPLITTING LOUD to the point of PAIN at the distance I was from him.

It was just perfect!!

He managed to go about 30 seconds before NAMM personnel rushed in to shut him down....and now the BEST part of all.

Suddenly all is quiet and before the NAMM guys can say anything Dime in a raised voice says....

WHOOOOOAH man....Whoooohooo....I was just fiddling with the amp and the GUITAR stuck WIIIIIDE OPEN...these things have a mind of their own!!!

Everyone nearby just broke out in hilarious laughter and the NAMM guys....just walked away
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

partying with Van & Jeff from Nevermore until 4 in the morning, post-gig back in '05.

Jeff spent most of the time deep in conversation with someone in a corner. Van was awesome. Forget any star turn, he was just one of the guys hanging at the bar, shooting the shit, talking metal, drinking. One of my best nights out ever.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Van seems pretty chill. The dude is a underrated drummer for sure.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Oh boy..ummm many. But my favorite times was always hanging with Nevermore. But that is something I must elaborate on...because there is many silly tales to tell.

No, Van is the least "chill' member. He loves me because I remind him of his old best freind / roomate he New York. He's kinda like me ...nuts. Amazing drummer.
        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

i have two.......

the first is when my wife and i ran into tobias sammett in atlanta during prog-power. i went up, introduced myself. tobias was really cool. my wife introduced herself, and knowing that he is german, began talking really slow....then she told him that she wanted to name our baby "mandrake" because that was her favorite song. she was rubbing her tummy while saying it. tobias and i looked at each other and started laughing. then he said to me, with his head cocked sideways a bit, "is she okay?" i said "yeah." then my wife goes, "WHAT??!" and tobias says, "i speak english - i am not a retard." he and i started laughing. my wife was a little embarrassed but tobias gave her a hug then we chatted for a few minutes, told him we couldn't wait to catch the show and went our separate ways. later at the meet and greet, he saw us and when he walked up to my wife he brought eggi (edguy bassist). he looked at my wife, rubbed his belly and said some shit in german that ended with "mandrake". eggi looked at her funny and started to laugh. when my wife asked tobi what he said, his response was, "i told him you are naming your baby mandrake."

the funny part? she wasn't pregnant!! she just liked the idea of mandrake for a name.

my second is when my wife and i went to see blind guardian at the house of blues at downtown disney in orlando. we got there early and were browsing through some shops. we went into the magnet store and i saw andre olbrich buying disney souvenirs!!! he was SOOOO excited. i walked up to him said hi and told him that we were excited to see them play. he was very gracious, though his english wasn't that great. we talked for a minute and he was just talking about how exciting it was to be at disney world for a gig. after a few minutes he had to go because it was getting close to the time of the show.

that was cool because i got to see the other side of metal guys. even though he's this international travelling dude, going to disney was exciting for him. pretty cool.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

My WTF metal moment:

A buddy and I went to a club called "The Rage" in Baltimore to see Vinnie Moore around 1993 or so.

We got there kind of early, and were sitting at the two leftmost seats of a 6 seat table. Three guys walked in and asked whether they could sit in the other chairs at our table, and we said sure.

It was my first time seeing Vinnie Moore live, and I was blown away at how he was playing the shit out of his guitar. Between the first and second sets, about half the crowd at the bar rushed our table and started asking the other three guys for their autographs, to get photos taken with them, etc. I didn't know what was going on, until one of the crowd asked me for my autograph.

I asked him,

"Who exactly do you think I am?" he replied,

"I figured that you were James Iha from the Smashing Pumpkins, being a long haired Asian guy sitting at a table with half of Queensryche!"

There was another time that a chick at a club in DC asked me for my autograph, thinking I was DJ Towa Towa from Deeeelight, but that's a different story...

Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

I believe it was 1980 or 81 at the Long Beach arena and I was there with a few friends to see UFO and Sue Saad and the Next. The show had ended and we were in the parking lot having a few brews and some smoke cranking the new Van Halen II. A couple of guys happen by and strike up a conversation about the new Van Halen wanting to know what we thought about it. I tossed each of them a brew and said the stereo won't go any louder so what do you think. We hung out for short while until the parking lot emptied out a bit. One of the guys then reaches into his pocket and pulled something out and handed it to me and then the other guy does the same. They were guitar picks? The picks had Van Halen printed on them and the blue ones said Micheal Anthony It was at that point that we realized who these guys were. It was Eddie Van Halen and Michael Anthony. They both just turned and walked away as we stood there in disbelief.

Comment

favorite was when Yngwie unleashed the fucking fury when someone spilled water on him.
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Mid 90's.......Bought Motorhead tickets then went elsewhere to drink pints before the show. The bartender said "Oh really, the guy at the end of the bar is in Motorhead." We looked and thought no, he must be a roadie. He raised his glass to us and introduced himself as Wurzel ("but my real name's Michael") He had skipped the soundcheck and found the nearest English pub. He explained that it didn't matter "Its gonna sound like shit, it always does in these small places. We just play too loud!" We drank some beers with him then dragged him through the Alley Cat before a handler came to find him and drag him back to the Vogue for the show.

Seeing as neither of us had seen them before, my friend asked him "Is it gonna be like Spinal Tap?"
                  Last edited by Grawnday; 03-07-2012, 05:40 PM.

Comment

1988, Judas Preist VIP > I met Rob Halford! He showed me his sleeping quarters on the bus..then things got kinda weird.
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      1988, Judas Preist VIP > I met Rob Halford! He showed me his sleeping quarters on the bus..then things got kinda weird.
                      Did he put a 'smudge' in your tighty-whities??
                      Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Talking to Bill Steer (Carcass, Firebird) one on one when he played with his band in my little shitty town in Slovenia.
                        It was epic!
                        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

backstage at metallica and justice for all and telling james hetfield pre show i had to leave and go watch queensryche...we joked about it for a few minutes...he was a great guy...d.m.
                          http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                            backstage at metallica and justice for all and telling james hetfield pre show i had to leave and go watch queensryche...we joked about it for a few minutes...he was a great guy...d.m.
                            At the Omni? I was there, but not backstage.
                            MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                              I had VIP for that tour, too. No weird things with Halford, though.
                              MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Working...
                              X