Home protection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home protection question

hey guys, i currently have a sawn off 12 gauge double as my home protection gun, but i wanted to test the penetration on a mocked up wall built to code, and well, with number 8 birdshot it obliterated half the wall, but my .22 magnum went through one piece of sheetrock but didnt penetrate the other. made a nice dent tho. so would a .22 magnum be a better choice then my 12? whats the stopping power on one of those? dont let the .22 cal fool you, this sucker has a wicked kick and bang to it.

heres the double barrel 12.

Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

I dont know, any bullet can kill, but perhaps a trap load in the shotty may be safer in the home and still have a better stopping than the .22. I say safer because chances are the trap shot will penetrate less, I say better stopping power due to the mass number of entry wounds across the body. Paaaaaaaaain
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
      hey guys, i currently have a sawn off 12 gauge double as my home protection gun
      That's were I'm at now
      Originally posted by jacksonkellyfreak View Post
      .22 magnum
      Thinking about getting this.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this stage in the game.

Comment

I would use the .22 mag over a shotgun with birdshot.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
          I dont know, any bullet can kill, but perhaps a trap load in the shotty may be safer in the home and still have a better stopping than the .22. I say safer because chances are the trap shot will penetrate less, I say better stopping power due to the mass number of entry wounds across the body. Paaaaaaaaain
          I volunteered for a load of rock salt at about 60 or so feet. that my friend, is fucking pain. i couldnt sit for 3 days. so, i keep rock salt in the left barrel and number 8 birdshot in the right. i figure the salt will knock em down and the birdshot point blank will render them unrecognizeable. Ive said it before, but i have killed someone breaking into my home before. taking his life didnt bother me, but seeing the sight.....nevermind. it still makes me sick. i refused to eat meat for a long time. joke about it if you want, but its nothing like the movies. the smell of blood and shit. i got him right in the gut with buckshot and it damn near cut him in half. that is what bothers me. its not just blood that comes out. i think he had peas and corn for dinner. and im not kidding. but make no mistake, ill gladly see it again to protect my family. anyway back on topic, thats one of the other reasons i thought of the 22, but you just cant beat a 12 gauge for stopping power. Twitch, the trap loads wouldnt tear somebody up as bad as say, bbb or 00 buck would they?
          Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

I wouldnt think the trap loads would be as destructive, though at point blank, I guess anything will blow a man out of his boots with a shotgun. In a home invasion, taking in to account that you know the person doesnt belong(ie not a family member up in the middle of the night), death I think is appropriate. The rock salt should really be for the hooligan at the edge of the property. If the guys in the house, hes waaay too close at that point. You may consider a larger caliber handgun (.40, .45) with hollow points for home protection indoors. Ive never tested the theory, but the .45 is said to be a slower moving round and with the addition of an expanding projectile will make its way in, but not out and in the case of a miss, will do the same in a wall.

EDIT: Additionally, we(my dad and I) used to use 3/4 particle board as a target base and most .22 ammo would almost make it through(FMJ at 7 to 15 yards). Particle board is rather good at stopping bullets as the loose makeup of it absorbs a lot of the energy, but the little .22LR is a rather fast round. that being the case, Id have great concern with firing a .22 in the house unless it too were hollow point and even then, Im thinking as fast as .22 is, sheetrock wont give it much of a fight. Im thankful that if Im awakened in the middle of the night, that even if I meet the bastard right outside my bedroom door, I missed shot will go to the kitchen, not into any bedrooms. In fact, in order for anyone else to be in danger in my house from a stray bullet shot at an intruder, Id have to come home to it in progress, or the intruder have come through one of the girls bedroom windows(or a really unlucky ricochet)
            Last edited by Twitch; 04-02-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Is that thing really sawed off or is it a coach gun?

I'd have to say go with the 12, although I'd not want to use anything lighter than BB. A 22 Mag just isn't enough IMO. It will probably do the job but not like the 12 will.

Also, as I am sure you experienced, any gun you use will be scrutinized by someone....cops, jury, prosecutor, whoever. Some people know nothing about guns but they will relate to grandpa's shotgun a lot more than they would an AK for example.

Also try to see if Glaser/Corbon makes safety slugs for shotguns.

Comment

Thats simple, you don't need to aim with the shotgun. You just need to be pointing in the general vacinity. Why make it difficult?

Comment

Try slugs in the 12-gauge.

Comment

I think what hes wanting is no(or very little) wall penetration and not ripping a guy in half again.

Comment

Really big dog

Sit back, crack open a beer, and politely remind the intruder that you can call the dog off when he is ready to surrender.

The best bit is the dog gets a great work out and enjoys the company...

Agreed though, a gun would probably make the point a bit quicker.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                        Mine is a coach gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post

I'd have to say go with the 12, although I'd not want to use anything lighter than BB. A 22 Mag just isn't enough IMO. It will probably do the job but not like the 12 will.

Also, as I am sure you experienced, any gun you use will be scrutinized by someone....cops, jury, prosecutor, whoever. Some people know nothing about guns but they will relate to grandpa's shotgun a lot more than they would an AK for example.

Also try to see if Glaser/Corbon makes safety slugs for shotguns.
                          yes sir. i sawed it off myself to the legal limit of 18 in barrels.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
                            I wouldnt think the trap loads would be as destructive, though at point blank, I guess anything will blow a man out of his boots with a shotgun. In a home invasion, taking in to account that you know the person doesnt belong(ie not a family member up in the middle of the night), death I think is appropriate. The rock salt should really be for the hooligan at the edge of the property. If the guys in the house, hes waaay too close at that point. You may consider a larger caliber handgun (.40, .45) with hollow points for home protection indoors. Ive never tested the theory, but the .45 is said to be a slower moving round and with the addition of an expanding projectile will make its way in, but not out and in the case of a miss, will do the same in a wall.

EDIT: Additionally, we(my dad and I) used to use 3/4 particle board as a target base and most .22 ammo would almost make it through(FMJ at 7 to 15 yards). Particle board is rather good at stopping bullets as the loose makeup of it absorbs a lot of the energy, but the little .22LR is a rather fast round. that being the case, Id have great concern with firing a .22 in the house unless it too were hollow point and even then, Im thinking as fast as .22 is, sheetrock wont give it much of a fight. Im thankful that if Im awakened in the middle of the night, that even if I meet the bastard right outside my bedroom door, I missed shot will go to the kitchen, not into any bedrooms. In fact, in order for anyone else to be in danger in my house from a stray bullet shot at an intruder, Id have to come home to it in progress, or the intruder have come through one of the girls bedroom windows(or a really unlucky ricochet)
                            Twitch, i am 100% in agreement with you. death is a non negotiable. i was just saying with the rock salt at that close range it will definitely knock you down. then i can hit him point blank with the real stuff. but like you, the only way ill hit my wife or step daughter is if theyre up and about in the house (ricochet). Jo is a decent shot and isnt afraid to use a gun, but Samantha would freak out, but rightfully so, shes only 17. i dont worry about Jo as much as her. Its funny, Im only 10 years older than Sam, but she looks to me more than she does her real dad. Guess its cuz she knows id trade my life to protect her and her mom.
                            Last edited by jacksonkellyfreak; 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                              Really big dog

Sit back, crack open a beer, and politely remind the intruder that you can call the dog off when he is ready to surrender.

The best bit is the dog gets a great work out and enjoys the company...

Agreed though, a gun would probably make the point a bit quicker.
                              nah, im not a dog person. I got too many pets now anyway. Wife has a bunny and a cat, stepdaughter has 2 betta fish and her cat, and i have a couple tarnatulas. could throw my salmon pink birdeater at him. nothing scares people like a 10 inch spider on their face, but id never hurt my pet like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X