No announcement yet.

The new Vai - The story of light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vai isn't for everyone, and I think he knows that. But he really does stay true to himself....

I know what you mean by TOO good. He's like no one else. I hear ZAPPA in his playing of course. But he can do things that no one else can IMHO....

Vai is an acquired taste....but a good one....
    -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
      Steve Vai also has a vocal cadence a lot like Christopher Walken. :o
      I believe Vai is from Long Island and Walken is from Queens. So they are from a similar geographic area at least.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i'm from there and i don't talk or play like either one of them, more's the pity.
        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I believe Vai is from Long Island and Walken is from Queens. So they are from a similar geographic area at least.
          It's uncanny, because I could close my eyes during that interview and imagine it was Christopher Walken. That was too funny.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse Called War View Post
            Am I the only one who thinks that Steve is too good ? His playing great, but I don't really get his music, very Zappa influenced ,very out there.
            This is why it was so important that he recorded Eat Em and Smile with DLR. It made him more mainstream. That album is still in my top 3 guitar albums of all time.
            "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
            I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeStrat View Post
              This is why it was so important that he recorded Eat Em and Smile with DLR. It made him more mainstream. That album is still in my top 3 guitar albums of all time.
              I totally agree with you. I was a big Van Halen fan at the time but when I heard Roth with Vai I was absolutely blown away. It’s just full of tasty licks, one after another. That might be the most influential album for me of all time. After I heard Vai, I forget all about EVH for a while. Vai's style was just so different to me and so refreshing. I remember just being in awe. I still am.
              -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

He's just about the greatest rock guitar technician there is. He can play just about anything, and is a funny and decent guy. He's just not very good at writing hooks. Players like Paul Gilbert and Satch, who may not quite be as far "out there" as Vai, are able to write songs that you can sing/dance along to!

Comment

any of you guys ever see the movie "Crazy" about the amazing Nashville guitarist Hank Garland? Steve Vai produced the movie, and he has
                  a short little cameo in the flick in the beginning playing Hank Williams. Tony Macalpine plays Wes Montgomery as well.
                  It's really good movie, and it's a good portrayal of the music business back then, and the story is a sad one.
                  Garland played with so many different people, Elvis among them. He was a ripping player, check it out if you have a chance.
                  The guy was a monster player.
                  Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

I get to see Via in September , down in Milwaukee. First time, looking forward to a little roaming downtown Milwaukee and some great guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                      any of you guys ever see the movie "Crazy" about the amazing Nashville guitarist Hank Garland? Steve Vai produced the movie, and he has
                      a short little cameo in the flick in the beginning playing Hank Williams. Tony Macalpine plays Wes Montgomery as well.
                      It's really good movie, and it's a good portrayal of the music business back then, and the story is a sad one.
                      Garland played with so many different people, Elvis among them. He was a ripping player, check it out if you have a chance.
                      His Sugar Foot Rag is amazing, all flat picked...I'll look for the movie for sure.

Can't wait to hear the new Vai too

Comment

Originally posted by atomic charvel guy View Post
                        I knew TMac was in the movie, but not Vai! I'd love to see it, but it's not available in a DVD region 2 format.

Comment

Working...
                        X