I want to buy a hand gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LouSiffer View Post
    Knives generally do not travel 1400 FPS.
    unless some astronaut brought their pocket knife with on the space shuttle.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      Good point, I didn't think of that. I'II have to assess the economic viability of that one...so what sort of mpg are we talking?
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

fahgetaboutit. money is no object with NASA.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Hence, why I used the word " Generally ". -Lou
          " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Guns are like guitars - once you buy one, you're looking for another! Of all the handguns that I've owned, I really love my Beretta 92FS 9mm. Has a couple thousand rounds through it, and still accurate as hell. Inexpensive, there are a ton out there, and like Charvels, they're easy to mod... 8) It also comes in .40 cal as well (96FS, I think?)...
            Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

shotgun. ultimate stopping power. saw it off and its concealable
              Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

I had a Sig 229 which was considered a compact and it was a great gun.9mm will stop anyone just fine IMO.
                I judge a pistol on how well it feeds ammo the Sig never glitched once.
                Has a Springfield 45 compact and it was very picky about feeding ammo.
                Had a Glock 21 45ACP and it was great too.Had a Glock 19 9mm, high cap magazine and it was fine too.
                I have found in a combat situation 9 mm does a good job just place the round in a vital area like the knee or stomach to take him down and not to kill.
                Perfect for self defense at home so you don't go to jail for murder.
                A head shot will make a mess and kill just fine too.
                One of my weapons of choice was a Swedish K 9mm sub machine gun low rate of fire and really easy to control.
                Get a high quality gun and don't skimp on the price your life depends on it.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Stray, I thought KY was a castle state? Shoot to kill brother. one load of 00 buck in the gut will knock even the biggest invader down. Or the face, but thats a HELL of a mess.
                  Let me tell you about a porcupine's balls.... They're small, and they don't give a shit!

Comment

Originally posted by rdamaral View Post
                    The new thing is single stack mags. These allow the frame of the gun to be thinner, thus allowing an easier profile for carrying ("printing").
                    There's nothing new about single stack mags. They predate double stack mags by a long shot.

Sig P228, most KAHR's, Walther PP-PPK-PPK/S, just about every 1911 and clone, etc... single stack guns have always been popular for subcompacts and carry guns dating back to the Browning 1910 and earlier. :P

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    I had a Sig 229 which was considered a compact and it was a great gun.
                    The Sig 229 is not considered a compact gun. It's a full size, double stack. They created it to chamber the .40 S&W because the P220 and P226 slides were sheet metal at the time and apparently the .357 Sig and 40 S&W had too much energy, so they designed a milled slide to be produced in the USA.

The compact is the Sig P230, loosely based off the Walther.
                    Last edited by xenophobe; 08-17-2012, 01:49 AM.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Thanks Xeno the 229 was a bit smaller than the 220.

Comment

The 229 is slightly shorter and not as long, but the P220 is thinner. The P229 is roughly the same width as the P226, except it is about 1/4" shorter in height and length. Sorry, kinda anal-retentive about guns. lol
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Nightstand gun is a Glock 19 in 9x19, next line of defense gun is an Norinco Ithaca 37 trench gun clone in 12 gauge 3 inch mag loaded with double-ought buckshot which is a bedroom gun also, next line is my Taurus PT1911 in 45ACP if I have to shoot my way to the family room, my truck gun is a Springfield Champion Lightweight in 45ACP which is my daily concealed carry gun too. If I have to make it downstairs to the gun room then whomever invades my house is well and truly fucked. They'll be staring at either my Colt LE6920 Carbine, Mini-14, M1 Garand, M1903A3, Mosin Nagant, more assorted shotguns, a couple more 1911's before I have to get the last ditch 22's out.

Comment

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                            There's nothing new about single stack mags. They predate double stack mags by a long shot.

I meant the "new thing" in guns today. Everyone seems to want single stack carry guns now

Comment

if your wantinga pistol, give us some idea of how you want to use it and we can come up with some ideas.
                              Ok, Tone.

I'm not looking to conceal for this gun. Looking for home defense, taking to the gun range, learn how to fire and become accurate, a "learning how to handle a handgun", nightstand gun, a reliable gun.

To run down my inventory:

12G double barrel coach gun (primary home defense)
                              AK-47 (when all hell breaks loose)
                              9mm Luger (relic, jams too much, not reliable)
                              1904 Mauser (hunting gun)
                              .22 Henry lever action (kids)
                              .22 Marlin 60 (kids)

My next gun after this (or before this?) would be a .22 Pistol.

The Sig 226 TAKOPS is still high on my list, but pricey. $1049 is the cheapest I saw at the last gun show.
                              Last edited by DonP; 08-17-2012, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Guns are like guitars in a sense find one that fits your hand properly.
                                I like to be able to easily hit the mag release with my thumb and not have to use the other hand.
                                Good luck with your search and training.

Comment

Working...
                                X