I want to buy a hand gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
    Just as a side note, don't avoid a 9mm simply because of all this talk about "stopping power". Just get hollow point rounds, which are really what you want for personal defense anyway.
    It is true when people say that the stopping power of the 9mm isn't optimal. It shouldn't be much of a concern because in the cases where 9mm wasn't enough was mainly due to heavy drugs, pcp or narcotics or a really big guy extremely drunk, and in a few cases leather clad winter clothing taking a lot of the punch out of it. A few extra rounds usually solves this problem. Just get good self defense hollowpoints, like you said.

Personally, I'm happy with .380 +P, but I'm also fully aware of it's capabilities. In some situations, mostly involving wild animals, like mountain lions or hogs, it's just not enough.
    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Tell me, what is the difference between the commercial and the US Army version? Somewhere I read the spring pin is metal in the Army version (vs. plastic). Just trying to figure what the differences are.
      Some of the parts are polycoated metal, as I recall. The recoil rod and trigger namely, maybe the safety/decocker too. That was in 2006 when I got my Brigadier, so I'm assuming it's the same now. I replaced all those parts personally, not that any were prone to failure or anything. I just prefer metal. (I also threw on a skeleonized hammer, purely aethestic).

I will say this, while the 92FS doesn't get much range time with me, it's a great pistol. The slide feels like it's riding on ball bearings and it's never jammed once.

Comment

Comment

Why have 15 rounds of 9mm when you can have 15 rounds of 45 ACP?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Comment

Originally posted by RR_YJMFAN View Post
            Why have 15 rounds of 9mm when you can have 15 rounds of 45 ACP?

Sorry couldn't help myself.
            Becaue it feels like holding a buldging stack of legos.

Which is also why I never liked the HK SOCOM. Might as well just get a Desert Eagle.

Comment

Looks like missionguitars1 (last post on page 1) won the "guess what he's going to buy" game LOL!
              Ha! And the funny thing is, I actually have the M9A1 believe it or not. The most noticeable difference is the rail on the M9 for a red dot/light, as the 92 FS doesn't have one. The grip is a little different too, but that's about it. Like I said, it's a solid, everyday shooter that doesn't disappoint. I'm in the market for a 1911 as well, and have narrowed it down to a Kimber Custom II and one from Springfield Armory...both very solid choices that come in around $700, but without the bling you'd see on the $1500 ones Kimber offers....same gun too...
              Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by missionguitars1 View Post
                Ha! And the funny thing is, I actually have the M9A1 believe it or not. The most noticeable difference is the rail on the M9 for a red dot/light, as the 92 FS doesn't have one. The grip is a little different too, but that's about it. Like I said, it's a solid, everyday shooter that doesn't disappoint. I'm in the market for a 1911 as well, and have narrowed it down to a Kimber Custom II and one from Springfield Armory...both very solid choices that come in around $700, but without the bling you'd see on the $1500 ones Kimber offers....same gun too...
                I'd buy the Kimber. Springfield is mostly made in Brazil now aren't they?

Comment

Went shooting again last night.

Beretta - no issues.

Luger - stovepiped almost every round. I wasn't using +P ammo though.

Colt 1911-22 - at first it fired fine. Then we ran into ejecting issues. I had to manually cycle the slide to eject some rounds. We were using cheap Federal lead rounds instead of copper jacket Winchester stuff (that gave no issues, but we ran out of).

Could this be an ammo issue? What is the best .22LR round? Sucks if it is because the kids talked me into a 1000 rounds of the Federal stuff.

I also need to stock up on 9mm. Going through it like candy. Best places to purchase bulk ammo cheaply? Wallymart sells 250 for $59.99, but it's always cleaned out as soon as they get it in stock.

Comment

cheaperthandirt.com has good sales from time to time. Clarkearms.com also has a bulk section that has very good pricing too.

I reload, so I don't buy ammo very often. You shouldn't need to shoot +p's for the gun to cycle a round correctly. And you also need to check if the gun is rated for +P ammo. Some are not.

Comment

You shouldn't be shooting +P ammo through a Luger at all. Well, if it's a cheap commercial import, nobody cares.

You probably damaged the extractor. Might also damage the ejector.

Take it to a gunsmith.

Comment

Revolvers always go boom and never leave casings.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          Revolvers always go boom and never leave casings.
                          Hey, great to hear from you Bill!

Regarding the Luger, I've read online that the spring in these is strong and you need a +P to push the action back far enough to eject the round without catching it. They say the Luger was designed when 9x19's had more power than today's loads. This Luger is in rebuilt shape (like new) and it does have a very strong new spring.

But like I said, I'm still new to guns, so I'll take your advice and try to locate a gunsmith. How do you guys determine someone local to trust? Word of mouth?

Comment

Went shooting again last night.

Beretta - no issues.

Colt 1911-22 - at first it fired fine. Then we ran into ejecting issues. I had to manually cycle the slide to eject some rounds. We were using cheap Federal lead rounds instead of copper jacket Winchester stuff (that gave no issues, but we ran out of).

Could this be an ammo issue? What is the best .22LR round? Sucks if it is because the kids talked me into a 1000 rounds of the Federal stuff.

I also need to stock up on 9mm. Going through it like candy. Best places to purchase bulk ammo cheaply? Wallymart sells 250 for $59.99, but it's always cleaned out as soon as they get it in stock.
                            Someone else said Cheaperthandirt and that's a good one....another is Cabela's online store. They are usually running a 'bulk' sale or two....sometimes loose rounds in a crate which are a great value because you aren't paying for a bunch of packaging.

I'd stay away from the cheap 'lead-head' ammo unless going to an indoor range that requires it. It tends to be much 'dirtier' and you will have feed/jam issues. Stick with copper or metal jacketed.

Almost any of the 'Name Brands' like Federal, Remington, PMI etc. are perfectly fine for regular outdoor shooting trips...no need to overspend for premium loads. But definitely invest in some hollow points for home defense...
                            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

I'd stay away from Federal ammo. I've never had a good experience with any of their rounds...

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
                                I'd stay away from Federal ammo. I've never had a good experience with any of their rounds...
                                I'm open to suggestions. The box of copper coated .22LR from Winchester seemed to work good.

Comment

Working...
                                X