band is breaking up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• band is breaking up

well, after six years and tons of gigs my band, Autumn's Pain, is breaking up. surprisingly, there is NO drama...no in-fighting...no musical differences...no BS. weird, huh? basically, we just feel that we have run our course and accomplished what we have wanted to accomplish in this band. we also recognize that we have hit a plateau with gig sizes and realize that we have nowhere to go but down, hahaha....

SOOOO, we're going out on top, so to say. our last major gig will the Kamelot US tour kick off in st. pete. that show is 90% sold out. i am sure it will sell out by the night of the show. here is the flyer:

after this show, we are planning on doing a "party" show at a local club that has always treated us well. we have it worked out with the owner where there is going to be food - BBQ type stuff - and we are going to do a bit of a retrospecitve set for our friends. the cool part of the night is that we are going to have our former drummers come up and we are going to perform the songs that were contemporary to their tenure in the band with them. surprisingly, they are cool and excited about doing this. even our current drummer is cool with it. it looks like we are going to play five 30-minute sets with short breaks - maybe 10 minutes between. it is going to be a fun night!!! everything is arranged with the club, we are just looking at dates where we can lock everyone in.

personally, i am bit excited the band is ending. i am looking forward to getting back into doing more session work. i also have a bunch of collaborators lined up on the side for writing/recording new material. one of the things i am REALLY looking forward to exploring fusion music. i have a drummer buddy that is awesome and he has been collaborating with a keyboardist. we are looking at doing some stuff in the studio. it'll be a nice departure because we have already discussed where we want the guitars to go - and we are thinking about keeping the distortion to a minimum and approaching the melodies with more of a cleaner tone. i am excited to be able get away from a heavy guitar sound for a while.

i am also working on some electronic/ambient stuff that is all synth based. there is a local singer who does opera. i amy have her come in and sing some italian crap over the ambient noise. might be cool, might be shit - who knows, but i am gonna try it!!!

anyway, just figured i'd share - especially since it is such a different "band break-up" story....
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Sorry to hear it's ending, but it sounds like it isn't a bad thing. Sounds like it was a good run, and you accomplished far more than most ever will.

On a selfish note, that sucks. I was hoping to see you guys play when I go visit my father this fall...

Comment

well, it may be that long before we do the "party" show. coordinating all the other people and finding an open saturday for the club could take a couple months!!! who knows. still PM me when you are here!

and it isn't a bad thing at all. i think being older helps a lot. we all realized it concurrently, and that helps on sore feelings. none of really wants to end it, but there is no sense in dragging things on either. that is when shit gets ugly and friendships are soiled - often forever.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

You have had a good run and sometimes change is good.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          well, it may be that long before we do the "party" show. coordinating all the other people and finding an open saturday for the club could take a couple months!!! who knows. still PM me when you are here!
          Will do. He doesn't head down there until the end of September, so I'm hoping to get down there in Oct or Nov. Of course I said the same thing last year and it didn't happen...

Comment

How long were you guys together? Kind of a bummer but also cool that you see the light and close it down before it closes you down
            shawnlutz.com

Comment

sorry to hear that Mark, but sometimes quitting while you're ahead is not quitting at all.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

tommy, that's how we feel. we have been doing the same thing for so long - it was a good thing, opening for national acts, playing medium sized venues (800-2000 people) - but it was getting to the point where we could tell we weren't going to the next level. a couple of our contemporaries got signed and/or started getting airplay, etc. we are older - i am the youngest in the band at 38 - so we realized that we have done what we feel comfortable doing and all of us agreed that going out on the sold out kamelot show was a GREAT way to end.

shawn, six years with this band gigging 2-3 times a month, most of the year.
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Too bad, I dug the clips I had seen, but the Beatles didn't last too much longer themselves.

No "going solo" drama from your singer?
                  Jackson KV2
                  Jackson KE1T
                  Jackson KE1F
                  Jackson SL1

Comment

hahaha, no Larz...she was a solo artist before the band. i am sure she will go back and do something solo again, but that was not the impetus for our decision. actually, the way it is lining up, i seem to have more options than she does. if she does anything, i imagine it will be studio only. she never performed as a solo artist unless it was for "special events" and even then she used backing tracks, so it was nothing more than glorified karaoke!!
                    GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Sorry to hear Mark. At least you're going out in a positive manner. I liked your band's tunes. Seems like you've had a good run! My dad & his wife just moved to Florida last year. My girl wants to move there in the future. If I can find a decent job, I'd do it. I could use a change I guess. Just wouldn't like the heat & humidity! Who knows, maybe we could start a band! LOL. You'd have to change your mind on that "heavy guitar" playing tho. HaHa. Take care & good luck with your new musical projects!!!

Comment

Well all roads do come to an end. The question is, how? Now that the professional relationship is over, it may be time to just whip out your hog to your singer and say, with some exasperation "what the hell are we going to do about this?"

A mistake? Maybe! No way to know. Fortes fortuna adiuvat.

Edit to add: I say this because you have probably been hearing the same shit from people for 6 years ad nauseum. Thought I'd give you one for the road. Glad to hear you're excited for your next act.
                        Last edited by Vass; 08-28-2012, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Mark, fuck all....

Good times,
                          All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances .........

Cheers
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Give the fans a real show. Go all out. At the end of your set attack each other. Go out with a good fight, lol. If you can't tackle and pummel your band mates who can you?
                            My Toys:
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                            '94 Dinky HX in Black
                            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Autumn's end was a band that surprised me because it was the first band I've seen to play jackson guitars that much...of course I discovered chris canella first and then the band...I like your tune scars from the candle because of its riffing...true story , I'm not into brutal vocals

Glad to hear you broke up in a nice vibe....keep making music

Comment

Working...
                              X