any of you drummers too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any of you drummers too?

i have been playing guitar for about 30 years. it will always be my first love, but monday night was my band's last show (opening Kamelot's US tour) and i am reayd to take a break.

i have been drumming about 12 years. i mostly play drums in the studio, though i also drum weekly in my church band. it is cool because i play music totally different than what i did in my original band. i will admit that practicing drums alone pretty much sucks. it is not real feasable to write a song whilst banging away on drums...though a beat can inspire a direction....

anyway, i am curious if any of the rest of you moonlight on the drum kit? i have been offered a couple of auditions as a drummer and i am seriously considering them. it would fun to chat a bit about drums, styles, etc...
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

oh, and just for fun, here is a pic of my kit. it actually has 2 more toms that i use sometimes, but most of the time i just use it as a 5 piece.

GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Nice kit man.

Comment

...bring in the drummer jokes
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The hats need a clutch
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I play drums too.

I got myself an old '87 Tama Granstar in white which was used by Vinny Appice in DIO and then rental in UK.

Its pretty big 9 pcs old Lars Ulrich style setup. I still need some cymbals for it but thats about it.

Not the best pictures but all Granstar I original white 100% birch. A loud kit but sounds really great. The snare in the pictures is an Artstar II maple 8*14

Setup based on the Granstar Custom kit Lars used from 1988 to 1990.

Sizes: 12,13,14 and 15 rack toms. Bass drums 16*24. Floortoms 16*16 and 16*18

I also got the 8 inch tom but not currently in use
            What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

the drums were my first instrument. had a 5 piece tiger striped slingerland set.
              played detroit rock city every day for hours and had the drums on the 3rd floor of the house
              and the sound were ring out all over the neighborhood to the chagrin of many.
              boy was i headache growing up. and to this day.
              Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

super nice!! mine is a 1983 superstar. sizes: 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 toms. bass: 16X22. i mostly use the 10, 12 and 14 toms - but currently i am using the 16 instead of the 14. i have a killer brass yamaha snare, 6.5 X14, and a 1964 ludwig 5.5 X14 snare.

it gets kind of addictive, drums...the shit you can add to a kit is almost as staggering as what you can add to a guitar rig!

like cymbals...i have 10", 12", 14", 16" (2), 18", 20" crashes. i have several ride cymbals, 22" K dark, 20" paiste RUDE, 20" A. i have several pairs of HHs - 14" quick beats, 13" K/Z, 12" recording. i have a couple china cymbals - 14" china trash, 18"....i am looking into adding some "effect" cymbals for different sounds.

i have a pair of mounted bongos that go off around the left side of the kit....

there are just so many cool things you can do with drums!!!
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
                  The hats need a clutch
                  there is one i just keep the hats low because i bounce them a lot and i like it better when i can bounce them fast!!
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

This was my kit, pretty basic stuff ...

Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

nice!!!
                      GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Cool! I started with a drum set about 8 years ago. I got a Pacific LX 5pc with Sabian and Zilds. I thought I'd get bored with them, but I've been playing them ever since. I got the guitar bug this spring and am trying to teach myself - not as easy for me. So I go back to the drums and feel better about myself!

Comment

In my band, we were working on this song and at some point the drummer suggested "couldn't you play some notes on your guitar?" after which I explained "that's all I ever do". What he wanted me to do was play some slow arpeggios.

On a more serious note, I have been toying with the idea of buying an electric kit myself to try something new and improve my timing and sense of rhythm.

Comment

hahaha! good one!

in my band, it was really sweet when it came time to present new material because i could come in with a completed demo - every track recorded the way i wanted it to be - and it was up to the others to learn it. there were a couple times where i'd have to get behind the kit and show the drummer how something went because he couldn't figure it out!!!

as far as getting an electric kit - do it!! i had pretty good timing already, but once i got good at the drums, my meter and ability to play between the beats became SO much smoother because i would approach my rythym like a drummer. vice-versa with my drumming - people like how i drum because i think like a guitarist when i drum...
                            GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                              as far as getting an electric kit - do it!! i had pretty good timing already, but once i got good at the drums, my meter and ability to play between the beats became SO much smoother because i would approach my rythym like a drummer. vice-versa with my drumming - people like how i drum because i think like a guitarist when i drum...
                              That's exactly what I was thinking. Hmmm.... interesting. Good excuse to buy gear?

Comment

Working...
                              X