Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Importing a guitar from England / Duty? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a guitar from England / Duty? Help!

Does anyone know if I will be charged a duty for having a Gibson Les Paul sent from England to the USA? I have found one that I really want and can get it at a fair price even with the shipping charges. However I am clueless as to if a duty will be charged.
    Last edited by Predator1; 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM.

Are you in the USA? Fucking hell, they must be giving it away, if it's still at a fair price after the currency exchange and shipping. Best of luck!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Yeah, though not in the UK, I would tend to think it's impossible to find a guitar (A Gibson no less!) cheaper in Europe as Usa resident than vice versa, especially after S/H and taxes
      unless there's some continental limited distribution going on
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The UK seller will have already paid the import duty and VAT, unless they somehow managed to sneak it past customs or gave them some bullshit excuse. Either way - no, you're not gonna get stung by USA Customs. If the scenario were reversed, USA to UK, yes, you'd get taxed, though not before being kept waiting an extra 3 weeks. Personally, I think it should be illegal to tax used goods. The UK government makes too much money without giving something to its taxpayers as it is.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If I could find the same guitar here in the states I would. However it was a limited run and the only ones I have seen here have been beat up. This guitar is costing me about $155.00 more then if I had bought it here in the states. That is pretty much the shipping fees. After reading the above post I used PayPal to send them a deposit.

Comment

Just curious, which Les Paul is it? I like Les Pauls. Congrats on the purchase no matter which model it is
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

US Duty is around a few dollars IIRC last time I looked, I think the actual customs handling charge is a dollar. It's the other way around that you get shafted, importing anything into the UK.

In the UK you'd pay tax on tax on tax on tax. It is how it works.
              You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

And that's why we ran you fuckers off

I've never had to pay import taxes on any guitar I bought from Japan, though I've not bought any from the UK. I believe it has something to do with our trade agreements?

Anyway, the biggest concern you should have is what woods it features, as it might be siezed by the Fish and Game dept if it uses banned woods (see the Gibson raids last year).
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Update!

This is the guitar. It is a Studio Deluxe in Alpine White with all black hardware and an Ebony fingerboard. I was told that Gibson produced 200 of these for the asian market in 2010/2011. However due to the disasters that happened in Japan they were never shipped and instead ended up being a GC exclusive. Gibson shipped out the remaining stock just before Christmas and discounted them to the dealers. I probably paid a little more then I should have but what the hell I have been missing my LPC since I sold it a couple of years ago.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Predator1; 02-06-2013, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Oooh, nice one!
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I did get hosed by fucking PayPal for the currency exchange something I did not figure on. Oh' well

Comment

Very nice man! I wouldn't worry on the extra cost as long as you love it She is a beauty!

Comment

Originally posted by Predator1 View Post
                          I did get hosed by fucking PayPal for the currency exchange something I did not figure on. Oh' well
                          Credit Card your Paypal in the currency the guitar is selling in. Paypal takes the piss when it comes to exchange rates and they can't take that extra cut if you pay on your credit card through Paypal.
                          You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

So do not use my PayPal acct. Instead use the credit card option many vendors off through PayPal?

Comment

if its an american guitar coming back to america you DO NOT need to pay taxes or duties. if its an import from another country coming into the US then yes you will be charged duty's. There is a very easy way to get out of paying these taxes/tarriffs if the seller is willing to fake some paperwork. Ive done it for buyers outside the US and have never had an issue, and no one has ever paid a tariff/ duty on the guitars ive sold to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X