Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Edit, nevermind.
    I did not read the subject.
    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 02-11-2013, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
      but, if i was just starting out and i had $1000 to spend, i would get myself a good amp - something that would continue to grow with me as i became a better player.
      This. If you only have been playing for less than a year, get a good amp... or an amp and decent guitar!

I would get a used MIJ Jackson off ebay (that would be about $500 or less) and decent combo amp for another $500 or less and your good to go. I probably would go with a string-thru like a couple of on here have said because, if your just learning guitar you want to keep string changes simple.

There you go. You'll have a kick ass guitar and good amp that makes you sound good and your playing will improve.
      Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
      Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Comment

Guitar market is so down compared to just a few years ago it's really hard to resist.
        $1K buys a lot more now than it used to!
        My rule stands, but now it is broken...no more guitars than my hangers can hold.
        That's 14 total.
        If it's in the case, I don't need it and something has to move.
        My latest was a Kramer Pacer Deluxe I took on a trade.
        Just because.

Goes without saying I agree on great amps, but hey...I am biased.

<blech>

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
          Yeah since hes still startin out and has a guitar a string thru wouldnt be a bad choice, but i hate having to check my tuning every few mins cause string thrus do fall out more often than a properly setup floyd
          I threw in my own jackass comments without ever reading the OP.
          But this...this I do not get.
          Not my experience.
          Are you talking string though hard tail?

Not a problem in my experience.
          Much more solid than any trem based guitar.

Comment

And tuning on-the-fly can be done quickly and transparently.
            Just takes some practice.

Comment

I would hunt for a decent used L.P.Jr one P-90 or one Humbucker.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                Are you talking string though hard tail?
                Some of them are just picky. My SL2GX was horrible. It went out of tune if you looked at it funny. My archtop was noticeably better. My DX1 would hold tune through a nuclear blast.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

My rule stands, but now it is broken...no more guitars than my hangers can hold.
                  That's 14 total.
                  Be like the government and raise you hanger limit, then you can get more guitars!

And if wall space is the issues, add more walls.
                  "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

thats the truth, in the past 4 months i picked up 2 USA BCRichs and 2 USA Jacksons, 1 of them being a fairly rare Dimas Era Jackson dinky w floyd. 3 out of 4 of them were WELL under $1000.

Guitar market is so down compared to just a few years ago it's really hard to resist.
                    $1K buys a lot more now than it used to!

Comment

BABY BABY had I had 1000 bucks cash, I'd be scouring them ebayz for a good ol' Soloist.

Comment

Go to a big music store like Guitar Center and try out the cheapo Jacksons there. Find something you like the feel and features of, then pour through ebay or the classifieds here and find the real thing.

But if I had a grand to blow right now I'd probably be looking for another RR24 or a SLS3.

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
                          Be like the government and raise you hanger limit, then you can get more guitars!

And if wall space is the issues, add more walls.
                          I have actually thought of that...

Comment

as far as amps go i have a crate rfx120. my wife got it for me last yr dont eally know anything about it

Comment

given the gear you have and how long you've been playing, I wouldn't sink all of my money into one guitar. The guitar you have is solid, although you could spend some money on a set of nicer pickups. If you're looking for something with a humbucker, you can't go wrong with a Japanese Jackson or Charvel. And that would leave you with enough for a good secondhand amp & maybe some pedals too.

Or, as MarkD said, buy a quality amp that will last you for ever. Quality guitars can be picked up relatively cheap. Your current guitar has lasted 25-odd years - pickups are a pretty cheap upgrade and paired with a good amp will last you a long time
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

I would go for Orange amp with good cabinet a 1000 bucks well spent.
                                Jackson Randy Rhoads Pro 2015
                                Jackson "Phobia" King-V
                                BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth
                                SG Mutt "Swamp Thing"

BC Rich Warlock One Bass

Orange Micro Terror
                                Laney TF300
                                Randall 1X8

PERKELE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X