Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 6 yr old is pestering me to let her watch...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 6 yr old is pestering me to let her watch...

The Walking Dead!

She caught a few glimpses of the Zombies when I was switching channels and everyday, she begs me to let her watch. I started playing a bit of an episode & she saw Michonne slice up a walker's stomach and all guts start falling out. That's where I turned it off. But she saw that and since then she's been telling me that since she did not get any nightmares after watching that, I should let her watch more. I have run out of excuses. HELP!
    Sam

Be the cool dad.
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

It sounds like you want to say no but dont want to be the bad guy. Just say no. I think filling a 6 year olds head with those images is not good. Kids need to be kids as long as possible these days. Too many people rushing to make kids grown up too early.

Comment

Nope be a responsible Dad and let her have her kid time.
        Shows like this are part of the problem with all the nut job kids out there today.
        Parents need to be parents and not their kids best friend.
        I was tough on my girls growing up(single parent) but they respect me and thank me now for being that way.
        Last edited by straycat; 02-27-2013, 02:01 PM.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yup, that's what I've been telling her - I don't want you to be an angry adult when you grow up. I'm glad we are in agreement.
          Sam

Comment

Raising kids isn't easy and you can't shelter them forever but at that age you need to keep a close eye on what they see on TV.
            There is so much crap on there and I really feel its part of the reason kids are so messed up right now.

Comment

let her see rambo 2 when she's 7, 28 years later I still haven't killed anyone ....yet
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I agree. Forget TV, the internet is the worst medium. We got her a Nexus 7 for christmas and those supposedly "child-friendly" apps, show an ad which takes her to youtube where all sorts of nudity is freely displayed. I have put her tablet in 'Airplane mode'. But it won't be long before she figures out how to turn it off.
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  let her see rambo 2 when she's 7, 28 years later I still haven't killed anyone ....yet
                  Yup, back in the days, before even my parents understood the meaning of 'R', me and my brother had watched all sort of violence in movies. LOL. We're doing just fine. I still think its all got to do with the upbringing more than TV, but hey, why take the risk?
                  Sam

Comment

A lot has to do with how they are brought up true. Boys with no Dad or responsible Father figure tend to think they can do whatever they want.
                    They get that from TV and movies plus the net.
                    I ran across one of those types chasing my Daughter when she was around 15 he was 18 and I gave him a lesson in humility.
                    So many scum bags out there today that had parents that didn't give a shit.
                    EB my advice is be involved in her life everyday be a strong Father figure and don't take any shit from her and trust me little girls are good at playing you.
                    Last edited by straycat; 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

6 is way too young, but kids these days aren't anything like when we were kids. It's quite shocking what kids know these days at an early age. Just the stuff they watch has so much more adult humor than when when we were kids. Just watch some of their cartoons, many of which have been designed to keep adults entertained as well. Or just watch the content of commercials in prime time.
                      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                        EB my advice is be involved in her life everyday be a strong Father figure and don't take any shit from her and trust me little girls are good at playing you.
                        That's what my wife says as well. I guess I got to get tougher going forward.
                        Sam

Comment

I'm in my early 20s with no kids but If i had a kid, I'd let him/her watch The Walking Dead way before I'd EVER let em watch any of these "reality" shows. I find things like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo far more brain-rotting than some fake zombies could ever be.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoopu2 View Post
                            I'm in my early 20s with no kids but If i had a kid, I'd let him/her watch The Walking Dead way before I'd EVER let em watch any of these "reality" shows. I find things like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo far more brain-rotting than some fake zombies could ever be.

Ouch, this man speaks the truth
                            if there's one thing fucking up children, it's reality and soapseries, not bloody Tom and Jerry during daylight hours
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Yes, I'd say no also.
                              Being the "cool" parent often backfires.

Me?
                              My boys are 18 and 20, and have made choices I can't quite figure out.
                              We didn't forbid sex and violence on the tube, but we didn't watch it either, so that was an easy
                              choice.
                              They certainly saw things over a friends houses that we didn't watch.

Now the 20 year old is on a VCR collecting kick and they watch all sorts of stuff and
                              laugh about it!
                              Now I get that...they don't take any of it very seriously.
                              OK, we did play Quake Teams and had a ball doing it...mostly dumb tactics no one would think of.

But they stay out of trouble and are doing very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X