Rack case trolley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack case trolley?

I'm looking for a 4 or 6U rack case with wheels and handle so I can take my gear to a studio. I don't want one that causes any fan noise from rack gear to be exaggerated. Suggestions? Gator seem to be only manufacturer I can find, though some actually have what looks like a power conditioner or distributor included ???
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

I'll give you one (arf arf)

Steady, I mean, I'll lend you one. When do you want it, how long for? I don't think I have any shock-mount cases anywhere near that small (I think the smallest is about 16U), but got some moulded Gator/Peli cases that are empty.

There are now LOADS of people knocking out those moulded cases, the Chinese jumped on that bandwagon and there's plenty about under various different brandnames, all pretty similar, and way cheaper than the Gator or Pelis. If they have incorporated power distro boards into them, I predict they will be absolutely shite, though as I've said to you before, the mains supply in this country is so reliable, the only noise you will get will be through shitty (ie. Behringer) kit or cables.

As for fan noise...put the rack in the studio control room? Are the fans temperature controlled, or on all the time? Space the units well enough in the rack and they shouldn't kick in and out. Maybe put an external fan on the rack if it is out of the way. I still think a decent ply sleeve over a 19" skeleton is best - you lift it off at the gig/wherever, the air gets all round the kit, no vibration, then at the end of the night you put the sleeve back on and can lob it in the truck, knowing it is safe and sound. You probably won't find one as small as 6u, but who knows? At that size, a ply case is every bit as good as a moulded case, almost as light. The Gator and Peli cases are sold as being megafuckingtough, used by the armed forces, unbreakable etc. Whether the cheap Chinese ones which look the same are as hard-wearing is another story. Not by the hair on my chinny chin chin, I would say. Depends how the rack will be treated, I guess, though I imagine yours wont be subject to a Polish crew trying to load a truck and get to the bar before last orders, so might survive what you have planned.

Incidentally, a 6u rack with castors is going to be a tall order. Even in the bad old days of massively heavy toroidal transformers in amps, it wasn't worth pissing about fixing wheels to a case that small. A young, fit, healthy man like you should be able to carry a 6u case from here to Mount Everest and back, even with 2 x Crown Macrotechs inside..

If you don't want to take my genuine and generous offer up, try Spider Engineering in Tamworth, they have loads of cases of all types for sale. They'll put a wheel board on a 2u rack if you ask them!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Yeah, if you need wheels on anything less than 12-space, you're a bigger fag than Rsmacker

Seriously, though, a 4-space Anvil rack with 4 items, the power cables for each item, and an 8-channel, 10 foot patch snake weighs about as much as a 100w head. I have one, I know. The 6-space rack doesn't weigh much more, though it does have one empty slot (for the MP1 to breathe), and it's made of thicker material than the Anvil.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Oh, I'm sooo sorry I don't meet your standards. WTF do I need 16u for? How is that gonna fit in a car? I've got 6u of gear, plus a guitar and a valve combo to shift. Being as I weigh just 8st, I'll JUGGLE all 3 shall I?
        Last edited by wilkinsi; 05-09-2013, 07:10 PM.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Putting wheels on a rack means you'll still have to use one hand to move it. Any man should be able to carry a loaded 6u rack with one hand.

Don't feel like converting stone, so I have no idea how teeny you may be, but if you're quite teeny, then put casters on your combo and throw the rack on top to wheel in and out.
          "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

My mic pre is 16 inches front to back (plus another 2 inches clearance for the front controls, dsub and XLR cables at the back). The rack case I was quoted has a depth of only 12.5 inches.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Sounds like the mic pre needs to be in with the mixer, in that case.

Seriously, look at Anvil cases if you're intent on taking such a huge item. Plenty of clearance under the lids for big knobs.

I kept mine set up so the "bottom" lid covered the front of the gear and the "top" (with the handle) covered the back where all the cables were. Drop the lid and dump the cables, hook them to my amp, wah, foot controller, and volume pedal, then flip it over and reveal the controls.

You may also look into a RockSack - semi-padded bag-style case. I've got a 4-space that's about 20" deep. Shoulder strap and all. I could carry my 2x12 in one hand, head in the other, and the rack bag on my shoulder. One more trip for the 2 guitars I would bring and that was it. With a combo, you still have a free hand for the guitar case.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I'll look into those. This is what I've found so far: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1206519090...84.m1423.l2649
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

why not get one of those foldable aluminium trolleys and strap your gear on it when you need to move it

something like this:
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

... and watch it fall off and smash?
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                      ... and watch it fall off and smash?
                      This may be your best option, with some pop rivets and few moments of work you could easily customize some strapping to 'safely & securely' hold your gear in place. At an absolute minimum some bungi cords would probably work fine.
                      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

You can also get those ratcheting straps and secure your gear to the folding trolley with those. Better than those rubber bungie cord things.

Comment

Working...
                        X