Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to approach an originals band at almost 40 years old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to approach an originals band at almost 40 years old?

Last edited by Chad; 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM.

Originally posted by Chad View Post
    We want to progress, but it's a challenge at our age to know what exactly to do. It's not like we're 20 years old and can up and leave everything behind for long periods of time with near zero paycheck. We have families for crying out loud. I have employees depending on me for their livelihood.
    There's your answer.

What will you gain from the tour? Loadsa drinking, shagging and taking drugs? Whilst that's a worthy cause, you have grown out of all that stuff, obviously. Just keep having fun but remember you aren't 20, and even if you were, the music iundustry has changed from back how it was when you were 20. "Making it" means something different nowadays.

Apparently you should be giving your albums away on Youtube!
    So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I'm 44, sitting outside at work at lunch with a guitar in my lap laying down a riff that's been running around in my head, and I fully intend to pursue putting together a band to get out there and do it. I record only originals and pass out homespun cds to get the word out and build a fanbase.

Though I hate social networking sites, I have to learn to make them work for me so I can expand my fanbase.

Maybe one day I'll sell a CD, or even individual songs online. Maybe I'll get an invite from an established act, or a better regional act with real potential.

I'll give up when I'm dead.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

How do you approach it? Thats easy. With NO expectations of "making" it in any way shape or form. Approach it as a hobby. Period.

JG

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          How do you approach it? Thats easy. With NO expectations of "making" it in any way shape or form. Approach it as a hobby. Period.

JG
          pretty much this. Especially in today's 'music' market. There's been threads on here of this subject. It's gotta be for your own personal reasons. Cuz after 30, your chances of "making it" go from 1 in a million to 1 in a trillion. If your 'music' can't be sold to 14-25 year old chicks and suburbanite wannabes, you're screwed.
          Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

Fuck, you mean I'm not the new 43 yr-old Justin Bieber? I've had a One Direction haircut too, I'm ready for it. Thanks for stamping on my dream (sob)!
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

i'm 39 and in a fairly successful original act. how do we approach everything? it's fun but serious at the same time. we work our asses off but expect nothing in return.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Buy a bowflex it's the secret to living you dream of a rock band after 40.(sorry I couldn't help myself) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0CtnpqMehE

Comment

I decided it was better to play in a cover band with an original or two thrown in here and there than to not be playing at all. Make $200.00 each on the weekends we work and have a lot of fun doing it!

as was said:
                  original band-no expectations other than enjoyment, self satisfaction
                  cover band- fun and a little spending $$

Comment

Working...
                  X