• Got my new PC today!

Case
    Motherboard
    16GB RAM
    Intel i7-4770K CPU + fan
    killer 4GB GTX 760 video card!
    2TB system drive
    Win8 Pro 64 disc
    25 foot HDMI cable to run it to my 55" TV (as my monitor)
    wireless mouse and KB combo

hmmmm....

oh yeah: they didn't send my FUCKING POWER SUPPLY! :think:

Nice.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Oh shit thats a nifty PC.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

so you're assembling it yourself? Or the completed PC arrive & they forget to install the PS?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

55" TV eh? So are you planning on loading the Media Center Pack? I used to have a XP Media Center set up with a wireless KB/mouse to a TV.

Comment

You won't have any trouble multitasking on that​. haha
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

He's going to have wrists like Popeye once he gets Xhamster up on that.
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

I thought the title was about a phil collen "PC" guitar

Comment

Grats! Your system will be future proof for at least a couple of years! Even though my i7-2600k is about 2.5 years old, it's held up excellent with current offerings. My GTX 580, not so much! I'm not bothered upgrading it yet, there hasn't been a "killer app" to push me yet.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                55" TV eh? So are you planning on loading the Media Center Pack? I used to have a XP Media Center set up with a wireless KB/mouse to a TV.
                I don't connect my big screen to my computer, personally. I never used it much except for gaming, but I'd still rather look at my monitor. However, I use my main system as a DLNA server and I couldn't be happier. I can stream mp4, mkv and avi as well as mp3's and I just use my tv controller. I find that more useful for my needs.
                The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  so you're assembling it yourself? Or the completed PC arrive & they forget to install the PS?
                  Building it myself. Based it off a barebones kit they offered, swapping out pieces I didn't need/want (BluRay burner, slightly better power supply, slightly better MOBO, but lesser video card). I opted for the basic DVD/CDRW unit (should run well enough to run/install games and apps), a similar-but-cheaper MOBO (a couple less bells and whistles), ps that was 100w weaker (750 vs 850), and thus was able to double the budget for the video card. Still came out about $200 cheaper than had I just taken their barebones offering and upgraded to the better video card.

In hindsight, I guess I shoulda got the PS they recommended. The one I got said it was "In Stock" when I clicked "Add TO Cart", but now it says "Out Of Stock". Funny thing is it says it was shipped, but UPS Ground, whereas the rest was sent 2nd Day Air (I chose Ground for the whole package).

Oh well, still got today and tomorrow. If it ain't here by Friday, my weekend's shot to hell.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  Probably not. I do all my streaming video through XBox Live - Netflix & CrunchyRoll - plus my cable box is already hooked up to it. Can't see blowing up YouTube vids (and ads) to 55".
                  Plus I'm only about 4 feet from it, so it's f'n huge

Originally posted by Sinistas View Post
                  You won't have any trouble multitasking on that​. haha
                  Actually, all I'll be able to do on it at first is Skyrim, since it'd cost a fortune to upgrade Audition, Poser, Paint Shop, Premiere Elements, and several other apps to "anything over XP" versions
                  I'll have to keep my old system for that and just upgrade them slowly.

Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
                  Grats! Your system will be future proof for at least a couple of years! Even though my i7-2600k is about 2.5 years old, it's held up excellent with current offerings. My GTX 580, not so much! I'm not bothered upgrading it yet, there hasn't been a "killer app" to push me yet.

I don't connect my big screen to my computer, personally. I never used it much except for gaming, but I'd still rather look at my monitor. However, I use my main system as a DLNA server and I couldn't be happier. I can stream mp4, mkv and avi as well as mp3's and I just use my tv controller. I find that more useful for my needs.
                  That's kinda what I was going for. My first self-built PC was 5 years old before I found a game whose "Recommended System" exceeded it
                  DOS-based games like Doom, Carmageddon, Tomb Raider, Blood, Duke Nuke 'Em, and quite a few others ran smooth as glass. The first Rainbow Six and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron ran just fine as well.

My current/old desktop could run Oblivion about as well as the 360 did, but the 360 runs Skyrim a lot better, even with the lowest settings and LOD and everything else turned off

I did try to put my new video card in my old system, so I could at least get a taste of what it can do, but the card's too big and crashes on top of my SATA cables before it even gets to the only slot it can go in
                  The new board can run up to 3 PCI-E slots (video cards in Dual SLI/CrossfireX), and handle up to 32GB of system RAM, so I figure I'll add another video card and more RAM sometime next year when the prices drop, and that should keep me going just fine.

Even if I can't get Win8 drivers for my SB Audigy PlatPro sound thingy, the MOTU I have is USB, and works just fine with my laptop, so I shouldn't have to spend anything on sound for it.
                  Last edited by Newc; 08-21-2013, 06:23 AM.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by vampire dark View Post
                    I thought the title was about a phil collen "PC" guitar
                    Actually, that would have gone in the appropriate section - Import or USA. I'm crazy, not stupid

Comment

Looks good but I would get SSD drive for OS install and games for that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Actually, all I'll be able to do on it at first is Skyrim, since it'd cost a fortune to upgrade Audition, Poser, Paint Shop, Premiere Elements, and several other apps to "anything over XP" versions
                        I'll have to keep my old system for that and just upgrade them slowly.
                        you could try installing them and see if they'll run in compatibility mode on the new system. If not, you're no worse off
                        Hail yesterday

Comment

Matt,

My oldest son's gaming laptop just bit the dust, so we'll be watching this thread for any issues you have. A couple of years ago we built an i5 system with dual video cards and a 40" big screen for my younger son. Similar to your new build.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                            Looks good but I would get SSD drive for OS install and games for that setup.
                            +1,000,000 This is by far some of the best money you will spend on your PC.

Also as Vitamin G says, try them in compat mode. I very rarely come across a piece of software that does not work in compatibility mode. -Lou
                            " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Are you talking Adobe Audition?
                              I just downloaded Version 3.0 a couple of months ago, it runs just fine with Win7 64.
                              I didn't know it's freeware till then as well... So if that's what you're after, it doesn't cost a fortune at all.

But I had a huge hazzle installing my SB on a 64 Bit system. These creative drivers are huge as phuck and will cause lots of trouble.
                              At least I wasn't able to get it to work. Made me buy an Asus-Soundcard as a result...

I'll second the SSD as well. Awesome upgrade, and the time is just right if you need to reinstall the OS anyway...

Enjoy your new system and welcome to the 21st century!
                              tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Working...
                              X