Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a Ebay question about shipping... Need advice quick!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a Ebay question about shipping... Need advice quick!

I sold my old beat up Digitech GNX4 on Ebay for 49.95. Ebay updated their shipping details, so I can't just put $15 or whatever for shipping, which is what I would usually do. They charged the buyer $34.65 for USPS priority shipping, so the total the buyer paid is $84.60. I didn't choose to ship it priority, the regular shipping would cost about half of that, which is what I would usually ship it for. I'm in Utah and the buyer is in Iowa, so regular shipping would only be about 4 or 5 days tops.

Ebay caught me off guard with their new shipping policy change. Would I be an asshole if I just shipped parcel select? I've ordered stuff on Ebay before and the seller sometimes used a different shipping method or carrier and I didn't really mind...

I believe USPS has flat rate priority boxes for around $15, but I'm not sure what size box I need. The post office is closed right now, or I would check.

Do you guys think the multi fx pedal would fit in a priority flat rate box?

I just want to be prepared on Monday when I ship it and it would be cool to have a little advice from some experienced shippers on here.

Thanks in advance!
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

dude... with buyer protection..ship fast and as stated or there might be grief, and hope it's not a douchebag on the other end. I email pix of packing process to the buyer to avoid....
    ~issues~
    whatever you put for shipping ..and if you use ebay shipping...bottom line is 12.9% of the sale + shipping will be consumed by ebay/paypal

reallypfc on the bay ..
    “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Ok, so it's better just to go to the post office then pay for shipping online? I'm probably going to choose their medium sized flat rate priority box. I'm not used to the new Ebay shipping policy...

I just don't want to make it look like I'm screwing the buyer.

Comment

If it costs less just offer to refund the difference to the buyer.
        METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Some of you guys know me. I have two mobile homes full of guitars. I also have other items. It's my "Bank" account. I have bought and sold on ebay since 1999. I have done more buying than selling. In fact, I haven't sold anything in about 5 years. It used to fun to sell. Not anymore. Now, I have to make sure I cover my ass with boiler plate. That means all disclaimers and that stuff. It means dealing with ebay telling me my shipping cost is too high. It means buyers that have no clue. When I decide to get serious, I'm going figure it out. It's hard enough to list an item; get it sold; pack it up and have to go the Post Office. They will pick it up at my digs.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

This is likely why there is only crap on ebay. It's rare when I see anything interesting.

Comment

That goes for me. The cool stuff may be there. Not like the good old days. I have seen many items I was tempted to buy. Then, I saw the shipping cost that was way too high. I avoid those auctions. I know what it takes to pack an item and the time it takes. Regardless of the selling price, it takes the same effort. For ebay to dictate is BS.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                I know what it takes to pack an item and the time it takes. Regardless of the selling price, it takes the same effort.
                +1
                Preparing used guitars for shipping,especially neckthru's is a time consuming process.

Comment

EU buyers pay tax when buying from non-EU countries. Recently found sellers wanting tracking pay a ripoff fee which, quite rightly so, the seller will want the buyer to pay. Some areas of USA will also have size/weight restrictions more strict than others.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I'm guessing that E-Bay clamping down on excessive shipping prices might have something to do with a few sellers listing an item with a $1.00 BIN price and shipping of $200.00 in order to avoid paying the selling fees(?)
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                      I'm guessing that E-Bay clamping down on excessive shipping prices might have something to do with a few sellers listing an item with a $1.00 BIN price and shipping of $200.00 in order to avoid paying the selling fees(?)
                      That used to be a big problem. I might be wrong, but I believe Ebay didn't used to charge you fee's on your shipping price, just your actual sell price. That's why people would put $500 shipping on a $200 laptop or something. Now Ebay chooses how much you pay for shipping and they still charge you a fee on the total price, including shipping, which is bullshit.

I would never sell a guitar on Ebay because the shipping prices and fees are ridiculous. The only things I would sell now on Ebay are things that would fit in flat rate box and things $250 or less...

BTW, I can't stand when a buyer never leaves you feedback. The person that I've sold this Digitech pedal never left me feedback, even though I've described every detail about it. It happened to 3 other things I've sold as well.

Comment

Yeah, I see your point about shipping fees. E-Bay has changed quite a bit over the years. Many years ago I got lots of my Jacksons through there, not so much any more. As for your feedback, its still early on. The buyer may be waiting to see if the unit dies on him first as they have up to 90 days after the sale to leave feedback. Some sellers send out a friendly e-mail reminding buyers to kindly leave them feedback.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Considering the time it takes for USPS to ship from USA to UK, I'd only be able to leave feedback after 30 days
                          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                            Considering the time it takes for USPS to ship from USA to UK, I'd only be able to leave feedback after 30 days
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Maiden89 View Post
                              That used to be a big problem. I might be wrong, but I believe Ebay didn't used to charge you fee's on your shipping price, just your actual sell price. That's why people would put $500 shipping on a $200 laptop or something. Now Ebay chooses how much you pay for shipping and they still charge you a fee on the total price, including shipping, which is bullshit.
                              Now you have the option of using Ebay to purchase shipping at a reduced rate, be it USPS, Fed Ex or UPS. That being said, they hit you up for 10% across the board on the entire sale including shipping plus another 2.9% from paypal.

Comment

Working...
                              X