No announcement yet.

Cheap meat. It's a fett thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have figured out how to buy cheap food. It feeds me on the cheap. That leaves mo' money for other stuff. As a single person, it would be easy to buy the "Eat and Run" stuff. I like to cook. The supermarkets make all their money on the easy out. If I had to guess, I eat 3 meals a day for around $3. I'm talking good meat, veggies, cereal, milk, juice, spices, condiments, exotic stuff that I would never pay the retail price. I guess my grave marker should read: " He lived on the cheap, That didn't kill him."
    Last edited by fett; 09-21-2013, 02:58 PM.
    I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Welcome back you viking
      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

This time, "That's less than the price of a postage stamp", even shocked me. Two packs of pork chops. The two packs came to just under 1.5 lbs. I went to the checkout stand with a big grin. I know the checker. I told her; "Wait until see this!" My total cost was 29 cents. We talked. She said; " As long as the scanner does what it does, it's fine by me."

Comment

Fett!!! Man, I'm never around much. Doing shitty, but I'll take it. It could always be worse. These are facts.

Hope things are going well for you. I've missed much JCF times and events.

Kevin's passing was a major shock..and why I'm actually taking this time to catch up a bit. I've been taking care of family. Old cop friends stopping over. Man, we're gettin' old. But I'm back in my old Levi 505's. Too many 38/32's, and I'm much too cheap and refuse to graduate to 40's. Nope, I don't wanna be a 40w right now. But It's in my bucket list. I wait till 50 to be 40. I gotta have standards. Then I'm going for dentures by 60...that'll be awesome.

That's pretty much it really. Playing guitar with the kid again. We must record this stuff. If I croak..he knows exactly what to do...with music...and boobies. He's a boob man, and a boob..man. These are good things.

Many fruitations of goodness and blessitudes,

Billz
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Hi. Bill. This place was never a "Cheap Meet". I missed you guys. I miss Kevin. Anyway, I'm glad to be an old new member.

Comment

Hey Bill, hope things pick up for you! I almost graduated to 38w... all my 36w stuff was barely fitting... and since my inseam is 30, I didn't want to become 40x30. There's a running joke about 40x30 pants in an MMO I used to play. Then I had a heart attack scare while trying to evade the police on my bike with several friends at night at the baylands... didn't do anything wrong but was in the wrong place at the right time. Thought I was gonna have a heart attack somewhere an ambulance wouldn't be able to get to. Then a friend's daughter called me an umpalumpa. I seriously observed my eating habits, removed most of the super fattening stuff and since I've lost over 60 lbs... I was approaching 230lbs at 5'7", so I stopped eating full packages of tortellini and alfredo, stopped eating bagels with butter, cheese and pizza sauce and shit like that. Started eating less, and started eating healthier for the most part... no real diet, no calorie counting, no carb burning... just changing my eating habits and portion sizes... I lost about 65 lbs without any change in excercise (very little) in just under a year. I just weighed myself in at 161 today. Now I'm back to 30x30's, and if I get down to my target goal of 150-155, I'll probably be wearing 28's. Anyway, I know you have back issues or some shit like that... you can lose weight and still eat mostly whatever you want. I had 4 candy bars and a large piece of cake night before last. Yea, I'm a pig, but I'm a much thinner pig now!
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

And over here, cheap meat only gets $1 and $2 off stickers, so sales prices are usually better. Safeway had some nice tri-tips on sale for $3.99 a pound, off $4. Unfortunately no buy one get one free or I would have stocked up.

I usually buy my stuff at Costco though. If you're picky, you can get prime ribeye or prime ny steak packaged as choice a lot of the time. So a nice thick-cut prime steak is about $10. So, that's not really cheap, but if you go to a real premium butcher you're saving about $8-$10 per pound at minimum. The same steak 1lb steak would sell for $60+ at a half-decent steak house. So to me, that's cheap meat. I'll buy a 3 or 4 pack, cook one and then pull the others out of the freezer when I feel like having steak the next day. So yeah, that's not really cheap, but it satisfies my carnal urges.

Comment

I used to get tremendous deals on meat. You would not believe it. Those days are gone. However, I still find a way to eat like a Viking on the way cheap. I love beef roasts. At my local supermarket, a roast starts at around $15. They reduce the price to around $11. No Sale. It has to be gone that day. It gets thrown in a dumpster after 9AM. Well, I am there around 8AM. I got that roast for around $5. That roast fed me for 3 days. I have love my supermarket buds. They know me. I know them. My buds may be going on Strike. If they do, I would not cross a picket line on a bet.

Comment

today I saw that my dollar tree store had frozen 3.5oz ribeyes for $1. I was too afraid to buy them. they looked more like steakums. I'm happy to get roasts at sam's club for $3.99 a pound. Costco has become too expensive for meats. All my good stores are in the rich areas so nothings cheap.

Pants-fuck I'm at 40x30. I need to lose some weight.

Comment

I buy my meat from a small butcher shop that has been in business over 25 years. The prices are cheaper than chain stores slightly and the quality of cuts and variety of product offered are much higher than the chain stores. Since I am primarily a carnivore, I don't mind paying for quality meat.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have to be clear. I know the different cuts and the different grades of meat. I have cooked for myself since 1971. I cooked for my family when I had one. I love to cook. My ability to find nice meat on the cheap is not the same as settling for cheap anything. It's all about the Hunt. I'm not poor. If I wanted to pay retail, I could. That's no fun. I'm just single old fart. The supermarkets love that. That's money. One or two chops and out. That's not how I work. I did it again today. I have 6 thin cut pork chops. I'll get creative with these. It's about 1.25 lbs. My total cost? 49 cents.

Comment

I like to be frugal also, because I am poor... I found an awesome grocery store by the new house, now you can't get everything there - they don't have paper items(toilet paper/paper towels/napkins) and they don't have soaps/shampoo kind of stuff or lots of other things. BUT, what they do have is an unbelievable meat market in there. The string of refrigerated cabinets is easily 60' long(sorry no pics). They have everything in there, seafoods, beef, pork, turkey, lamb, veal, bison, etc. Not only do they have the normal cuts of everything, they also have ready to grill selections.

After looking through the choices, I found (fresh) pre-seasoned bacon wrapped fillets stuffed with blue cheese. 7oz filets @ 4.99 each...... Not cheap, but still a much better deal than going out.
                          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

That's the ticket. We live in a nation of bounty. I know that our food can be expensive. It doesn't have to. There is a worldwide price to feed one person a day. It's pennies. I live that life. I do that to feed me and flip the bird.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                              today I saw that my dollar tree store had frozen 3.5oz ribeyes for $1.
                              A proper ribeye is at least 12-14oz.

Comment

Bag the meat. I'm an official yuppie. I need my greens. I discovered kale. Not $4.99. My cost 49 cents. That was good. Then I discovered arugula. Not $4.99. Yep. 49 cents. Then I discovered mangos. The are 2 bucks each. Not for me. 3 for 99 cents. I just know how to do this. I wasn't looking for those greens. I was walking around while the produce guy was weeding the old stuff out. He had that stuff he was going to throw out. He asked me if I was interested. Why not? He went out of his way to get the price gun to mark it down. Lots of great salads. Why? I got to know him. He rides a motorcycle in the Pac NW. Anyway, knowing the people really pays off. They get a dose of me. They may think I'm goofy, but they love it.

Comment

Working...
                                X