Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving Jackson players everywhere a bad name!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a lot of those 80's band live. They weren't all so great. Not at all. Some were for sure but let's not kid ourselves about how awesome things were.

There was plenty of studio magic in the 80's - it just wasn't as sophisticated. There are so many bad vocal tracks buried in the mix, masked by overdubs, reverb, delay, etc. Just go read interviews with engineers and producers back then and they talk about how many retakes and punch-ins they'd have to do for those 80's bands. The 80's is when the studio trickery really began in earnest - they were picking people based on image and appearance instead of ability more than ever for videos.

The best part about the 80's was that girls liked music that was sort of heavy and they dressed awesome.

You want to hear great music without studio tricks - go listen to Frank Sinatra albums - they did a whole tune live with a big band/orchestra in mono with one track - those folks could play their ass off.

Or go listen to the Stones, Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc. in the 60's and 70's - those guys all had to have their shit together - limited tracks, limited tools, and limited time.

BTW, there are some incredibly talented musicians making music today. You just have to be open minded and look around.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
      Some of us have moral courage and intestinal fortitude and don't seek the satisfaction of projecting an "image". That brush of yours is pretty broad there, Michaelangelo.
      I would wear a g string and play my guitar with my dick if it would get me signed and a world tour because I love playing more than anything in the world. I would do just about anything to have the chance to play in front of 40 or 50 thousand people every night . If looking like those guys did back then was what it took then pass me the lip stick and hairspray too! I guess you're one of the few guys who wouldn't. Sorry I didn't mean to speak for you.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I like your Sinatra reference bro but I'll stick with the Frank I know and Love instead. Frank Zappa.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
          I would wear a g string and play my guitar with my dick if it would get me signed and a world tour because I love playing more than anything in the world. I would do just about anything to have the chance to play in front of 40 or 50 thousand people every night . If looking like those guys did back then was what it took then pass me the lip stick and hairspray too! I guess you're one of the few guys who wouldn't. Sorry I didn't mean to speak for you.
          Just remember it's not about money for everyone. I have an immense amount of spiritual, personal, and professional satisfaction that I couldn't be any happier.

Comment

What's funny as hell to me is guys calling 80's metal "Hair Bands" These guys were all better players and singers than the crap we have today and the best part is they could actually do what you hear on the record live. Unlike everyone using studio magic now days. These guys were all talented and a record company offered them millions of dollars to change their clothes and tease their hair. Look at the bands who were great players who dressed like total tools in the videos because it was what the record company told them to do to sell records. If you ever saw any of those bands in there hey day on the sunset strip at least 90% of them were wearing jeans and t-shirts and Chuck Taylor's. If someone offered you fortune and fame and an incredible career every single one of you would be fighting over the lip stick and hair spray so think before you say the words "Hair band."
            None of those "hair bands" or "hair metal", whatever the fuck you call it, were not even metal! Hard rock, yes, but not metal. And I never understood dressing up like a chick, but some of those bands were at least pretty decent. Though, I'm pretty sure Warrant didn't play solos and had studios musicians do it on their albums.
            I liked Van Halen, Dokken, Motley Crue and Ratt, but I really didn't dig the image. I mostly gravitated towards the heavier stuff like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and the thrash metal stuff like Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Anthrax, etc.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
              Just remember it's not about money for everyone. I have an immense amount of spiritual, personal, and professional satisfaction that I couldn't be any happier.
              I could care less about the money as I make a good living now. It's the rush of playing for a crowd that size I want and would give anything for.
              Last edited by leftykingv2; 09-23-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                None of those "hair bands" or "hair metal", whatever the fuck you call it, were not even metal! Hard rock, yes, but not metal. And I never understood dressing up like a chick, but some of those bands were at least pretty decent. Though, I'm pretty sure Warrant didn't play solos and had studios musicians do it on their albums.
                I liked Van Halen, Dokken, Motley Crue and Ratt, but I really didn't dig the image. I mostly gravitated towards the heavier stuff like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest, Mercyful Fate, and the thrash metal stuff like Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer, Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Anthrax, etc.
                You're technically right. That was a mistake on my part because they weren't "Metal' in the literal sense.

Comment

What's funny as hell to me is guys calling 80's metal "Hair Bands" These guys were all better players and singers than the crap we have today and the best part is they could actually do what you hear on the record live. Unlike everyone using studio magic now days. These guys were all talented and a record company offered them millions of dollars to change their clothes and tease their hair. Look at the bands who were great players who dressed like total tools in the videos because it was what the record company told them to do to sell records. If you ever saw any of those bands in there hey day on the sunset strip at least 90% of them were wearing jeans and t-shirts and Chuck Taylor's. If someone offered you fortune and fame and an incredible career every single one of you would be fighting over the lip stick and hair spray so think before you say the words "Hair band."
                  I didn't know anyone meant anything bad by using the term "hair band" . . . I thought it was just a description that results in instant recognition of a certain genre. "80's hard rock", "80's metal", "glam rock", "hair bands" . . . all evoke different sized categories with many bands overlapping from one to the next. "Hair bands" are by far what I listen to the most and I call them that lovingly.

Comment

Most people use the word "Hair band" as a derogatory term bro.

Comment

Most people use the word "Hair band" as a derogatory term bro.
                      Huh. Who whudda thunk it. You learn something every day!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxsnake View Post
                        Huh. Who whudda thunk it. You learn something every day!
                        I never knew that either until a good friend of mine named Danny Stag who actually was the guitar player from Kingdom Come told me that all of the guys in those bands hated being called that. Danny actually lives right up the street from me.

Comment

I never knew that either until a good friend of mine named Danny Stag who actually was the guitar player from Kingdom Come told me that all of the guys in those bands hated being called that. Danny actually lives right up the street from me.
                          Ha! First song at my wedding, (in 2008), was "What Love Can Be":

Tell Stag I said thanks! (Unfortunately, I cannot extend the same gratitude from my wife . . . she wasn't overly pleased with it but I insisted on a song from my youth and she's a good sport. I think she asked if we really had to dance to a "hair band".)

Comment

I'm one of those people who likes those bands because I like the music. I could care less if they looked glam, hair metal, or whatever you want to call it. I also liked the older bands like Led Zep (my favorite band actually). But let's not kid ourselves they all used studio "trickery" to the utmost of what was available at the time. In the 60's The Beatles did things in the studio that were just brilliant but not really reproducible live. They're still geniuses in my book. And those of you who don't consider 80's bands Metal better go look up the term back in that era. Yes, it was hard rock and what I prefer to call it myself actually. But going back as far as the 70's Led Zep and Black Sabbath were referred to as Heavy Metal bands. The term doesn't just apply to down tuned, heavy, Norwegian bands with unintelligible vocals from today
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxsnake View Post
                              Ha! First song at my wedding, (in 2008), was "What Love Can Be":

Tell Stag I said thanks! (Unfortunately, I cannot extend the same gratitude from my wife . . . she wasn't overly pleased with it but I insisted on a song from my youth and she's a good sport. I think she asked if we really had to dance to a "hair band".)
                              I've been trying to get him on the forum since I joined. He has an old Rhoads Model that was actually given to him by someone who worked for Jackson back in the day. He's primarily a bluesy strat type player though and he's really not to tech savvy when it comes to computers. I had to show him how to work his android when he bought it about four months ago!! I'll def. tell him about you playing What love can be at your wedding he'll get a kick out of that!! He is a really cool laid back guy. His brother is actually one of the Pgh Penguins television announcers!!

Comment

I like your Sinatra reference bro but I'll stick with the Frank I know and Love instead. Frank Zappa.
                                Zappa is one of my favorites. I still want to play Peaches En Regalia in a dance club one of these days
                                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                                X