Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This sucks! I can't play guitar for a while due to an injury...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This sucks! I can't play guitar for a while due to an injury...

As a fellow guitarist I always sympathize with others who have injuries that prevent them from playing our favorite instrument. I always try to take care of my hands and I'm usually cautious with anything that can injure my hands or fingers, which would hold me back from my #1 passion. Well, I fucked that up today.

I just moved to a bigger city, needed some extra money, so a friend of a friend needed help today with some work he was doing for someones house. Power washing the brick, sidewalks, driveway, cleaning windows, etc. I've done stuff 10x more hazardous than this without injuries lol. We were throwing stuff to each other most of the day and we had about 30 mins left, he asked me to throw him a window scraper while he was on his high ladder. I know, this is the kind of shit where you think, "What the fuck were those two idiots thinking?" I threw it to him, but he missed and I tried to catch it. I thought I caught it. It tore my right hand index finger to shit.

Who knew those window scrapers were so damn sharp? Blood was just squirting out everywhere. I thought I cut my finger off. The concrete patio was filled with a puddle of blood in seconds. I ran onto the lawn and starting getting dizzy and looked at my hand. Fortunately I didn't cut my finger off, it's just a really deep cut. Luckily, the guy I was working with gave me his e cigarette. I took a hit, which kept me from passing out. I guess I'm kind of a pussy. I'm not a smoker, but I have to give nicotine props this time... He grabbed a rag and tied as tight as he could around my finger; it stopped the bleeding.

This sucks though. I can't play guitar now. My finger is bandaged to shit and I can't hold a pick or play fingerstyle. I used some nu skin glue, but the cut is too wide and most of it isn't coming together. I put some butterfly bandaids on it too; hopefully that would hold it together and heal.

I can't believe how stupid I am! This is the kind of stuff I make fun of people doing, now I did it.
    Jackson ke3 kelly trans blue
    Jackson Dk2m bengal with emg 81/85

Go get stitches. If it's cut bad enough that bandages won't hold it then it needs proper attention. You don't want to have nerve damage and not be able to play the same because of it.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

+1 Hellbat. Your fingers are not something to fuck around with bro. Nerve damage or infection are just two examples of many bad things that can happen. Guys like Satch and Vai won't even catch a baseball or football with their kids because they like I make a living with their hands. Even if you don't do what they do you should at least go to the hospital and have it looked at, at the very minimum. Also my friend be happy you're not me! That would be my fretting hand and we all know it's much better to fuck up your picking hand over your fretting hand. I know what you're going through too bro. I broke my elbow on my picking hand about twelve years ago and couldn't play for ten weeks! Worst two and a half months of my fucking life!! Anyway brother good luck and heal up fast! Take care man!
      Last edited by leftykingv2; 10-08-2013, 02:21 AM.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Rest it. As mentioned, get it sutured up and insure you get good blood flow to the area. If you smoke or drink; stop. It seriously slows down the recovery process.

It's gonna take time. It took me three months to recover from a gunshot and it was killing me waiting to get out and do my job. But in the mean time, mentally prepare to play again by making a big list of new scales/songs to learn and start reading more into different music theory. You'll be a better musician for it in the long run.

Comment

Sorry to hear, and make sure you take care of it pronto. I've been limited for the last few months due to shoulder problems, which were aggravated by trying to do to much. If I had rested them more then, I'd probably be good now.
          Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Hope you decided to get stitches! I had a circular saw accident about 10 years ago... many stitches and then a nerve graph later I almost have all the feeling back in my right index finger. Your fingers are important, take care of them!
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Get them taken care of and do it right. I have been dealing with nerve issues for years. Things are finally turning around for me and its amazing to be able to play again!

Good luck and take care accidents simply happen man.
              Haters gonna hate
              Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

Comment

I guess the butterfly band aids did their job. They pulled the cut a lot closer together when I checked this morning I cleaned it up and and pinched the cut together a little closer and put some more nu-skin glue on it; it looks like that glue is starting to kind of seal it now. Fortunately, before I bandaged it up, I was able to bend my finger normally (albeit very painfully), so that rules out tendon damage and I can still feel my finger, so I guess I didn't do any nerve damage.

I would've went to the hospital, but this couldn't have been worse timing financially for me. I was thinking how insanely expensive hospital visits are and thought I could fix it myself. I was being cheap last night. Now it's too late, from what I've heard; I guess the cut has to be fairly fresh for them to stitch it. Not sure if that's true or not.

The thing that bothers me most is that it was such a dumb and obvious mistake, but I guess I've learned my lesson. I sure as hell won't do that again.

Comment

Ah, I'm from Canada. We just go to hospital, wait in line for 14 hours and then get patched up for free.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Damn! Sorry too hear, good luck and get well soon.
                    I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Alright, there's some good news. I had some friends that put some natural essential oils on it and an aloe vera leaf. I checked it last night and the cut is pretty much closed and looks like it's healing. Who knew those natural oils worked so good? I'm sure within two weeks I'll be able to play normally again.

I remember a friend a long time ago that was dating a session bassist from L.A. He said he wouldn't even change the oil on his car because he couldn't afford to hurt his hands, since his money depended on him playing bass. From now on, I'm going to be a lot more careful and try to avoid dumb and obvious mistakes like this.

Comment

rub some hemp oil on there too for good measure, glad you're on the mend.
                        Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Working...
                        X