No announcement yet.

Connecting with your live audience....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting with your live audience....

When I was in my late teens and early 20's and not married along with the rest of my skinny spandex wearing long haired band mates I had no problem doing either. Basically it went like this... We were all good looking and we attracted the girls and took advantage of most of them. Because all the girls would come to our shows the guys would follow. Because we were a very good band and we played all the most popular metal songs the audience grew and grew and were totally connected to our audience in both age and musical taste. We made sure we put our pictures on the posters and all advertisements and because of this we had no problems packing every place we played. That was between 1979 and 1989. I have been playing live in bands ever since. Beatles tribute bands, classic rock bands, death metal, progressive, originals, top 40, pop. I have been in everything and am currently in a very popular cover band. At 52 years old even though I get nothing but compliments on the band and my guitar and singing ability I just don't feel that connected to the audience. There are many other bands that have members that are old farts like me but they usually are playing blues or classic rock. The metal bands with old farts in them are usually guys that still have long hair, live home with their parents, are fully ink'd up and divorced or unmarried. They attract the older women who are usually divorced who love metal or hard rock. A perfect match. Older metal dudes for older metal chicks. They connect because they have a lot of things in common. I don't have anything in common with most of the people that come to our shows. Because of this.. I am completely animated on stage because for me.. when I have a guitar on I am on stage I am LOCKED AND LOADED. The problem is in between sets and after the last set. I have pretty much nothing to say to anybody at the club. The people that are screaming and going crazy for the band are generally single divorced metal head chicks or people that are my kids ages. Its pretty normal for people to ask me what's wrong when we aren't on stage. Basically there is nothing wrong. I just don't feel connected to most of the people there (and we pack every place we play). I would rather hide in the green room before, between and after the shows but unfortunately there aren't any green rooms or places for the band to hang out in at the places we play. Its not that I dislike the crowd. Rather.. I love the crowd. When we are onstage I am connected with all of them and tearing it up. I play for the crowd. Their interaction and responses is what gets me going. I just have a problem when I am NOT onstage. I also don't enjoy compliments. Of course I remain gracious but I would rather not get any compliments. Sounds weird to me. If I could stay on stage the entire night it would be cool. If I could disappear in between sets that would be cool too. Even my band mates comment on how I am COMPLETELY different once the show starts and how I Jekyll and Hyde when the set is over.

hahahaha, sounds like my entire band. we are all introverts and HATE shooting the breeze after we play. luckily for us, we are an all original band and usually only play our set (45 - 60 minutes) and then we're done. often i just go home unless the band we opened for is one i really like. if we headlined the night, then i just go home. putting on "the show" is fun and exciting. talking to drunks afterward is usually a chore. i feel you, man. i am in the same boat.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I was pretty much am the same way when I gigged, cover bands and original bands. I just want to play but keep in mind mingling with the crowd comes with territory. They are their to see you and your band, whether you connect or have anything in common doesn't matter really just shoot the shit and move on
      shawnlutz.com

Comment

Hmm, your anti. You're anti-social! I was the same way when I had a band. If people I actually knew outside the band (co-workers) showed up, I'd hang out with them between sets, but other than that, I was in the "green room" waiting till the next set. I would have preferred to spend 4 hours on stage myself, then collect my kudos with genuine modesty and pack up my shit and git. I don't drink, I don't do the muscle car thing, I don't have kids and exes and all that stuff "the general population" has, and have met few other musicians who could be called "musicians" around here. Plenty of people who think they are musicians, but have been playing about a week, or have been playing for 20 years and never moved beyond the first week, so talking music and gear with them is like stepping back in time a thousand years. Sorry for the wall of text but for some reason I can't get line breaks by hitting the Enter key. Dunno if it's IE or the board?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I don't think it's you. I do a lot of speaking, 3-400 people at a clip. Afterwords there are as you note people who want to chat and say nice things but I just want to hit the hotel room and veg out. It's an adrenaline thing and the understanding that nothing is coming of the conversation. When you were a kid plenty could come from it. I have plenty in common with these people too btw.

So you are polite but tolerating at best. Chit chat with strangers is a waste of time, and as I get older I don't like wasting time. It sounds like you're in the same place with a very different crowd. Ditto on the compliments. Just doesn't mean much does it?

I also realized I don't like crowded rowdy bars after I got married- so all those years I was there to chase women and not really hang with my friends.

Shitty but whatever.

Comment

Have you tried wowing them with stories of how you have never not been in a band since you were a toddler?

Seriously, maybe just keep a few things in mind to talk about with folks. I'm kind of an introvert too, but can enjoy talking about playing and gear with just about anybody. And I never turn down a compliment. Just be a good listener. Most people like to hear their own voice, so sometimes "talking" is 99% listening. Even if they're boring you out of your skull, just smile a lot, give occasional eye contact, and nod your head from time to time.

What is it that makes you not like compliments? Are they too shallow and seem fake/insincere? Or you just generally don't like compliments?

Comment

What's the name of your band? I'd like to check you guys out sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
                What's the name of your band? I'd like to check you guys out sometime.
                TCO The Cold Ones You could check us out on Facebook. We have a very active Facebook page!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post

What is it that makes you not like compliments? Are they too shallow and seem fake/insincere? Or you just generally don't like compliments?
                  They are too shallow. I enjoy talking "shop" to other musicians at shows (which is rare unfortunately) but I just can't deal with the drunk guys who think I am a guitar God. Its always the exact same dribble. They used to play back in the day... they used to have a really nice guitar... their best friend is an amazing guitar player that I should check out or the most common one... do you guys know any Guns and Roses? No? Oh.. no wonder.. not to many guitar players can play Slash's riffs but I bet you could if you stepped up and got rid of that no name guitar and amp and got a Marshall and a Gibson Les Paul! They have no clue that I am playing an $1800.00 Steve Lukather model through a $2500.00 Mesa Boogie based rig.

Comment

Damn, your next show is the 25th, but I'll be at the Webster for the Ig!fits annual Halloween show. Maybe next time!

Comment

Originally posted by Codex View Post
                      Damn, your next show is the 25th, but I'll be at the Webster for the Ig!fits annual Halloween show. Maybe next time!
                      We play all the time. About every 2-3 weeks at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                        Have you tried wowing them with stories of how you have never not been in a band since you were a toddler?

Seriously, maybe just keep a few things in mind to talk about with folks. I'm kind of an introvert too, but can enjoy talking about playing and gear with just about anybody. And I never turn down a compliment. Just be a good listener. Most people like to hear their own voice, so sometimes "talking" is 99% listening. Even if they're boring you out of your skull, just smile a lot, give occasional eye contact, and nod your head from time to time.
                        I tried wowing them with my Ozzy audition stories, my hit songs on the radio stories and of course.. the fact that I HAVE NEVER NOT BEEN IN A GIGGING BAND FOR THE LAST 36 YEARS!!!!!! I am not very approachable when we gig. Other musicians are intimidated by me because I am so great and most of the girls think they don't have a shot so they don't bother.

Comment

hahaha, i hear you john. when i get those jackasses around me, i share the story of my kelly clarkson audition. their eyes bulge, and they walk away or start to giggle (tampa is still a HUGE metal town regarding original bands). then i get pissed off and tell them about having jammed with criss oliva (i took a couple lessons from him in the mid 80s), being friends with the nasty savage guys, having been a part of the original death metal scene....then they ask why i am playing hard rock/pop music - then i explain about growing up and wanting to do different things. usually the dudes walk away. the chicks love it, but my wife is always sure to be lurking about and if conversations with chicks get to "fun" she appears and inserts herself into the conversation. other times i am "protecting" lana from drunk guys that try to lift her skirts or cop cheap feels....it is like being a body guard!!! oh the joys of gigging....
                          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Its pretty depressing when I mention that I auditioned for Ozzy when Randy Rhoads died and they say..."Is he the guy with the bullseye guitar?"

Comment

yeah, that's fucked up. but it also shows how out of touch today's rockers are....
                              GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                              X