Pocket Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep,

I got to fire the LCP and all the other sub-compacts before they hit the shelves at Ruger. I never liked the trigger pull on any of them. Not just the Rugers....the Kahrs and all the other sub-compacts have that long pull. It actually reminds of this cap gun I used to have as a kid.

There are multiple reasons for it being what it is:

1: There is as you said, no safety. ( Lawyer Friendly )

2: It is a conscious trigger pull. If the trigger got pulled, it was on purpose. ( Lawyer Friendly )

3: It is easy to tuck into your pocket without car keys or a pocket knife accidentally discharging the weapon. ( Lawyer Friendly )

4: In theory, the firing of a gun should be a surprise. This way you don't flinch when you feel the trigger come up on the breaking point of release. This should make the flinchers more accurate. I am honestly sure that it does. However, it makes me less accurate as I am used to feeling that trigger right before release and that is actually my cue to focus even more on the shot.

I am not by any means saying these are bad designs. They just are not for me. If I was in your position where printing could cost me my job, it is a gun that I would defiantely buy due to its small size and price. My brother in law has one and I have shot it multiple times. It does take a little getting used to. As far as the sites go, for no farther than that gun would be accurate, they are more than adequat in my opinion and I wouldn't think twice about it. I think you made a good choice.-Lou
    " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

I picked up Hogue grips for it and a really nice wallet pocket holster. The rounds I am carrying are Federal Hydra-Shok. Very nasty ammunition.
      They talk about the 380 being a marginal personal protection round but I gotta say.. that Hydra-Shock metal jacketed hollow point would really F somebody up.

Comment

And I'm just sitting here, still carrying the same handgun. Melts away appendix carried and never has to be moved when seated in a vehicle/restaurant and much easier to draw support hand only. Biggest advantage is one sight picture and one trigger pull for all of my handguns: work and personal.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
          I picked up Hogue grips for it and a really nice wallet pocket holster. The rounds I am carrying are Federal Hydra-Shok. Very nasty ammunition.
          They talk about the 380 being a marginal personal protection round but I gotta say.. that Hydra-Shock metal jacketed hollow point would really F somebody up.
          Shot placement is key. Upper-thoracic should be your goal.

A gunfight isn't won by the guy with the biggest caliber or the best grouping: it's won by shooting the other guy first.

A guy at work's wife carries an LCP and it's been reliable so far. I recommend picking up a bunch of mags and ensuring they all lock the slide back on empty and that they drop free. Otherwise, go shoot the hell out of it and practice your draw and presentation.

Keep us posted on its performance over time and any mods you make.
          Last edited by DRM; 11-09-2013, 09:49 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
            Shot placement is key. Upper-thoracic should be your goal.

A gunfight isn't won by the guy with the biggest caliber or the best grouping: it's won by shooting the other guy first.

A guy at work's wife carries an LCP and it's been reliable so far. I recommend picking up a bunch of mags and ensuring they all lock the slide back on empty and that they drop free. Otherwise, go shoot the hell out of it and practice your draw and presentation.

Keep us posted on its performance over time and any mods you make.
            thanks. the LCP doesnt lock the slide back on empty. cant wait to hit the range.

Comment

I recommend shooting at honest yardages. Take measurements from your bed to your bedroom door...and shoot that.......down the hall....and shoot that...etc. Imagine where the bad guy might be in your home. Take those measurements and apply them at the range. Setup targets at 3 yards, 8 yards and 10 yards. Do double or triple taps going from one to the other in no specific order. This will help you get a feel for distance changes on the fly.

Also, practice drawing while taking a step to the left and/or right in the middle of the draw. If you are right handed, you should notice it is more natural to move left and be on target than moving right. This is because your left side is " open " and your left eye can "pre-aquire" a target.

I also recommend setting up a silhouette a few inches beyond arms reach and drawing and firing with out you lifting your head to the target. Quick double taps. You will be surprised how accurate you are. This is what I refer to as a " Confidence Drill ". Many people can aim a flashlight without sites and be on the target they intended. However, you give them a gun and they can not hit a barn looking down sites. With this drill, you should have two shots within about 3-4" of each other. -Lou
              " I do not pay women for sex. I pay for them to leave after the sex ". -Wise words of Charlie Sheen

Comment

thanks. the LCP doesnt lock the slide back on empty. cant wait to hit the range.
                I did not know that. That's a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by DRM View Post
                  I did not know that. That's a bummer.
                  Yea, I figure that if I can't hit the bad guy with 7 shots I better rethink carrying at all. I tend to count when I shoot for some reason so the slide not locking back isn't that big of a deal. One of my buddies carries a 40 cal Glock with 10 in the mag and 2 10 round mags in a belt holder. I think he is expecting a zombie invasion!

Comment

Yea, I figure that if I can't hit the bad guy with 7 shots I better rethink carrying at all. I tend to count when I shoot for some reason so the slide not locking back isn't that big of a deal. One of my buddies carries a 40 cal Glock with 10 in the mag and 2 10 round mags in a belt holder. I think he is expecting a zombie invasion!
                    My G22 came with 3 15 round mags. I carry all 3 (one in and the other two on my left side) .
                    Zombie invasion... nope. Just a good Boy Scout. Always be prepared.
                    -Rick

Comment

Magazine springs wear out. Never give Murphy a vote when it comes to your life. I carry my G26 (12+1) and a G17 mag. I download the mag to 15 rds to make it easier to seat the fresh mag on a closed slide.I never leave home without my Strider, my Surefire E2D, my G26 + mag, and a SOF-T. You never know what can happen and realistically I'm expecting a response to an active shooter than being mugged.

Comment

And I promise you won't be counting rounds if you're defending yourself. It's a very stressful experience and you will absolutely revert to your lowest level of training. If you aren't physically and psychologically ready to take a life, it'll show.

I can count on two hands the number of times I've used a firearm in anger. You go on auto pilot.

Pick up a copy of LTC(Ret.) Dave Grossman's "On Killing".

Comment

Working...
                        X