Bono, The Edge Join Fender’s Board of Directors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
    Hmmm, I wouldn't go to Belfast and expect it to be all happy-clappy nowadays. Those wounds are very raw, and will be for a long time, no matter what the official line is.

Bonio and that other wooly-hatted Benny probably are getting a fat tax break somewhere for joining the board - just like the one they got by moving their accounts off-shore, thereby depriving the Irish Govt of funds they could have used for Foreign Aid etc. Meanwhile, Bonio is chartering aeroplanes to fly his favourite fucking HAT out to him. Prick.
    that's right Smacker, give it to him!!!
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

Celebs do charity work for 2 things:
      Tax deduxtion
      "Good Samaritan" self-promotion

As for Bono: He and Lars Ulrich could use a strapped together 69-position for the rest of their lives if you ask me
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
        Hmmm, I wouldn't go to Belfast and expect it to be all happy-clappy nowadays. Those wounds are very raw, and will be for a long time, no matter what the official line is.

Bonio and that other wooly-hatted Benny probably are getting a fat tax break somewhere for joining the board - just like the one they got by moving their accounts off-shore, thereby depriving the Irish Govt of funds they could have used for Foreign Aid etc. Meanwhile, Bonio is chartering aeroplanes to fly his favourite fucking HAT out to him. Prick.
        This....perfect

Comment

Bono can sometimes come across as pretentious and preachy, especially to folks who aren't in the mood to hear it, but U2's social activism has defined their music from day 1, and with over 150 million albums sold and 22 Grammies, their messaging obviously resonates. It's who they are, love em or leave em.

Personally, I think they've made a positive impact on mindsets about race and inequality. I grew up in the South in the 70's and 80's among people who casually used the N-word in everyday conversation, and it was mind-blowing when "Pride" hit the charts. 4 white guys singing about MLK and the civil rights movement. A few friends who bought and listened to U2 even stopped using the N-word, pretty cool.

As for joining the board, Fender's Chairman Mark Fukunaga says they want Bono and Edge to help with "growth strategies around fan engagement", which sounds like it means marketing and promotion. Based on some responses here, Fender may not get the results they're hoping for
          Last edited by BYeh1; 06-11-2014, 10:56 AM.

Comment

All socio-political issues aside, WTF would Fender appoint someone to their board who is most famous for playing a Gibson Explorer? That seems counterintuitive. I suspect there's more at play here.

Remember the failed IPO plan? Wondering if they both (privately) invested in FMIC, and the board appointments were a condition of their's before they bought in? Hmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
              All socio-political issues aside, WTF would Fender appoint someone to their board who is most famous for playing a Gibson Explorer? That seems counterintuitive. I suspect there's more at play here.

Remember the failed IPO plan? Wondering if they both (privately) invested in FMIC, and the board appointments were a condition of their's before they bought in? Hmmm.
              Would be a smart move if they can get him to forget the Explorer and focus on playing his black Strat.

Looked at the IPO prospectus back then, am 99% sure they weren't pre-IPO investors, and they don't have the gravitas to demand board seats. Recall the deal failed due to: (a) slowing sales growth, (b) unexciting profit margins, and (c) unjustifiable valuation demands. Notwithstanding my passion for the product, can't/won't invest unless we can make money.

Comment

Vixen's Edge of a Broken Heart > The Edge

Just send Sting and Bono into outer space so they can find another planet to save. Nothing is gonna solve world hunger besides a lot less people actually living in it.
                Jackson KV2
                Jackson KE1T
                Jackson KE1F
                Jackson SL1

Comment

Bono is a dick. And the edge's playing is bland and boring....and no, "not in my humble opinion".... that shit is fact
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

The first thing I have to say is that I am 100% Irish. I was born in the USA and I am damn proud of that and I'll always consider myself an American first. Now on to the ass clown who makes me ashamed of being Irish. Bono is a complete piece of shit in my opinion and a total limey bastard. Just look at what South Park did to him. Generally those guys only do that type of thing to people who are total self important ego-maniacal ass hats and Bono is every bit of what I just said and more. I can't stand him or the Edge and as dvscool just said the Edge's playing has always sucked in my opinion as well. He's got to be one of the most over rated players out there. His own people in Ireland can't stand him either. He has the nerve to bow to the queen of England and be knighted then still try to say he's Irish. Lastly I'll leave you guys with this.........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJXqnYCWW7Y
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 06-19-2014, 06:22 PM.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X