Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose vs. Kahler???

Has anyone else have this situation?

I started out on a jackson king V with a floyd rose. It was a professional STD model. I learned pretty much how to play on it. later guitars were very similar be it kramer, hamer, charvel, or other jackson guitars; it was a Floyd rose.

During those days I disliked the kahler but not hate. absolutely hated the fender dual post saddle bridge, absolutely hated the tune-o-matic bridge.

Now, I find the majority of my favorite guitars are made up of a close to 50/50 split of Floyds and Kahlers.

so what I find is that the Kahler is in fact pretty damn nice. while it is different than a floyd rose and feels different it is absolutely the best at what "it" is. just super smooth use and finesse where the floyd rose is like a ruff around the edges, bang on it kind of unit.

anyone else feel this way about the Kahler?

I like Kahlers as well, it's just everything has a Floyd now. I can only think of two production guitars with Kahlers, the Hanneman and Cantrell models. There's a whole generation or two where Kahlers just aren't around. I also like string-thru's, they're just comfortable, simple and easy; I think they have a closer feel to the Kahler then the Floyd. As for performance I'm not a huge wiggle stick guy, so I never had a ton of return to tune issues with either unit.

Comment

Yeah, there are a few people like that around these parts. I'm not really one of them, but they're around. lol
      The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by AAEA View Post
        Has anyone else have this situation?

I started out on a jackson king V with a floyd rose. It was a professional STD model. I learned pretty much how to play on it. later guitars were very similar be it kramer, hamer, charvel, or other jackson guitars; it was a Floyd rose.

During those days I disliked the kahler but not hate. absolutely hated the fender dual post saddle bridge, absolutely hated the tune-o-matic bridge.

Now, I find the majority of my favorite guitars are made up of a close to 50/50 split of Floyds and Kahlers.

so what I find is that the Kahler is in fact pretty damn nice. while it is different than a floyd rose and feels different it is absolutely the best at what "it" is. just super smooth use and finesse where the floyd rose is like a ruff around the edges, bang on it kind of unit.

anyone else feel this way about the Kahler?
        I agree.
        \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

I prefer Floyd, but I have no problem with Kahler. There are actually some guitars where I prefer a Kahler, because the bridge doesn't change.

If you want the best of both worlds, Kahler had a licensed Floyd. I believe it was called the Steeler. It was pretty banging.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
            I like Kahlers as well, it's just everything has a Floyd now. I can only think of two production guitars with Kahlers, the Hanneman and Cantrell models. There's a whole generation or two where Kahlers just aren't around. I also like string-thru's, they're just comfortable, simple and easy; I think they have a closer feel to the Kahler then the Floyd. As for performance I'm not a huge wiggle stick guy, so I never had a ton of return to tune issues with either unit.

Does King have a Kahler model too or is it Floyd on his guitars? I know he personally plays a Kahler but even on the early Hannemans I know it was a Floyd until people complained.
            I keep the bible in a pool of blood
            So that none of its lies can affect me

Comment

OFR or Kahler I like both just fine.
              Tune o matic and stop tail is fine too.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Eh.

I like every bridge/trem except the one-piece wrap-arounds and the Fender-type econo-bridges.

Comment

Both have their pros & cons....most players hate the Kahler simply because it is not a Floyd & that is what most players are used to & expect other trems to be...

Comment

when i used to play i didnt like kahlers because i thought they were flimsy, and they sound like a banjo when youre not plugged into an amp.
                    ill say one thing though, when plugged in they did have a different tone to them that was not unpleasant to my ear as well.
                    i'm just a floyd guy i guess
                    Not helping the situation since 1965!

Comment

A big thing I found that turned me onto Kahler is that when you see a kahler you don't have to wonder if its the good one or even a real one. the good one is simple to identify and there are very few knock offs and fakes. with floyd rose you don't get this easy of identification. just about 30 years of shit fake knock offs out there and its growing by the day.

the other day I met a kid in a GC who didn't know that the floyd on guitars now isn't a real original german made, he was clueless and only knew it wasn't a special.

gotta give it to floyd rose in completely confusing the market into believing they put out quality. seems like a rip off to me.

kahler may have had a cheaper line but in no way attempts to tell people it is the good one.

Comment

I was never a Kahler fan. I thought it looked too bulky. To be fair, though, I have never used one. If I HAVE to have a double locking bridge, I still prefer the Floyd - especially since I never really use the bar anymore. In truth, my favorite trem is the EBMM 2-point bridge with locking tuners. My EBMM never goes out of tune, the whammy works well for what I do these days, and it is not bulky.
                        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Never owned a guitar with a Kahler, but I played a couple that my friend owned in the '80s... didn't like the feel of it.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Technically speaking it can be argued the Kahler is a better design in that it maintains bridge/string height/angle when used.
                            Practically speaking since EVH was an early FR user that's what people wanted. The real deal ones are well engineered, bullet proof, and work well. I'm sold on them.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Never owned a guitar with a Kahler, but I played a couple that my friend owned in the '80s... didn't like the feel of it.
                              Fuck toejam!
                              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Working...
                              X